Birds and fish

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Rupert

Birds and fish

Post by Rupert »

With talk of the Bonito on one thread on Osprey on another, it got me thinking (well, I should have been working...) that I could think of many great boats named after flying things (Firefly, Hornet, Osprey, Redwing to name but 4) but all the aquatic based ones were a little less well thought of...Bonito, Sunfish, Sailfish. I'm sure there are exceptions, but are boats named after flying creatures somehow looking at broader horizons?
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Re: Birds and fish

Post by Michael Brigg »

So do we define our boats a "Fish or Fowl?

To buck Rupert's trend, there is the Swordfish and perhaps even "Barracuda of Tarrant."

How would you classify a "Turtle?" ... or a Duckling? ...or a Puffin??
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

A scrape away of paint has revealed that the oppy in the garden was once called Pegasus. Delusions of grandeur I feel.

An albacore is also a kind of tuna.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nessa said:-
the oppy in the garden was once called Pegasus. Delusions of grandeur I feel.

Altogether now:- "Aaaaaaah, how sweet." :)

"It's all to do with presentation" is what Crighton said when presented with the problem of persuading the starving Lister to eat Space Rats for dinner. Served with a crisp fresh healthy green side salad, Lister threw away the salad in disgust, and tucked in!

Actually a very appropriate name. Perhaps the original helmperson aspired to a Pony?

White horses fly off the wave crests in gusts of wind, and so was Pegasus born out of the union of The Medusa and Poseidon, when the drops of blood from Medusa's severed head mixed with the oceans Spume.

Incidentally another connection perhaps if not to Regicide, but coming close...Bellerephon attempted to ride Pegasus up to join the Gods in Olympus. Zeus got to him first though with a thunderbolt :cry:
Michael Brigg