FD wanted

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
davidh

FD wanted

Post by davidh »

Hi Brooksey....

If we carried a CVRDA banner on the main could we sail SuperD in New York, then pass the whole episode off as a marketing ploy for tax purposes?

Actually went and looked into the logistics - including swapping out the 505 for an FD - but just do not think it do able in the time left.

I do see what you mean though - the idea of doing the event has a huge amount of merit.

Better still - YOU sail the boat in NY!!

(for those puzzled by the exchange - it's the 400th anniversary of New York and there is a big FD event in the Harbour)

Go on Graham - you know you want too!

D
David H
Brookesy

Re: FD wanted

Post by Brookesy »

If only I had the time and the money I would have loved to have had a go.
My FD campaign has hit the buffers for a while I'm afraid, which is a shame as the boat is about ready, we have changed a few things here and there and even acquired a superb suit of sails which seem to have given her a good boost. We attended a training session with the the rest of the fleet at Rutland in March and she seemed to be very much on the pace, all we needed was more time in the boat to do her justice, but sadly my crew has been seduced by the darkside whilst doing qualifying for the Fastnet, and has bought himself a money pit to go offshore racing.In the meantime its back to the Finn, but I'm open to sugestions though David!!!!
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey,

Sadly it now looks as though the 505 will end up having to go..... and as soon as the Contender is out of the shed, the Sandtex scow aka Unit 7 (or 2) will go in for a quick tart up before heading off to ebay. These two, plus an inflatable, a Milanes Carbon Rudder Blade, not to mention a beneteau 36 all now have to go.

Next year though could better - and by then, if an FD has been found, that could still happen.

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I would think that lot should raise enough funding for a decent FD. The Booth boat with all the gear has been reduced in price I believe and there is a Bianci and Cecci on one of the sites for well under £1000, so no excuses now.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Pat

Post by Pat »

Tell us about the rudder blade David - dimensions etc as if it suited a Merlin (NOT 2121!) or Lark I could be interested.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Garry,

Yes, know all about this one.

even if it were to go cheap.... like, 'free to a good home cheap' I'd probably say thanks but no thanks.

What is needed is either a boat with a proven track record - or be from a stable with a proven track record (like...a ex Jo Richard boat) or have some amazing bit of history associated with it.

Yes, ultimately the plan would be to go to Como in 2012 for the Vintage Games. My master plan had been to get the boat Pat Blake would have sailed at Tallin in 1980 (only for the RYA to hang on to the coat tails of the US and keep us all at home) and so, 32 years on.... it could 'go to the ball' but all the words are that this hull is off in France somewhere.

Michael Briggs is probably right about how the event will fast become an orgy of bureaucratic tosh but until it does... we may just have a 2012 orgy of our own!

What a way to spend your 60th birthday!

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat,

Across most of my time in two sail + spinnaker boats, where the rules have allowed, I've always gone for the same rudder profile. Whatever else Bob Miller did or didn't do........... the Contender Foils are a work of genius.

Many sailors are keen to keen to reduce the rudder blade area but for a boat such as a modern Merlin - beamy at the back but with the bigger kite - it's spot on (I also used a Contender blade on the 505, albeit with the smaller kite. Although the blade has a 'tip' (rather than the more common elliptical profile) it doesn't seem to cavitate at all.

I'll try to post more pics ...... its Milanes Carbon, unused, complete with Bag.

Picture(s) on British Contender website...

D
David H