Old BBC photo

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
chris

Old BBC photo

Post by chris »

Did anyone notice that the image of the Falklands Islands on the BBC news last night (re oilwells) was about 30years old? The giveaway was the rusting hulk beached there which was... .
any quesses?

Hint .
many of us have sailed passed this vessel at a particular CVRDA venue.
Ancient Geek

Re: Old BBC photo

Post by Ancient Geek »

Sloppy picture editing and sub editing of text is endemic, my favourite was an learned article on Franlin D Roosevelt and his new deal illustrated with a picture of the other Roosevelt. Continuity is getting sloppy too. The new Chris evans programme on Radio 2 actually fesses up to the previous days bloopers as a feature of the show, a good thing.
Simples.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Another good boat restoration job!
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

She is loverly, aint she! Shame will never sail again as they used epoxy reinforced with Glass Fibres to fill in several large holes!!! To say nothing of the cost of sailing a ship as big as that.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
chris

Post by chris »

Yes, I gather that some of the early restoration work On the SS Great Britain has proved problematic and may have caesed more rot in the hull than it cured . So much work was done to reasearch the best conservation practice in hindsight. It is a question though for conservers in general... How long a life can we preserve something for? From the CVRDA's point of view I think a few true words have been spoken on this forum recently that basically says: hoarding a number old wrecks maynot be the best preservation and once a dinghy has been lovingly restored and you need to move it on will the next owner take good care?
jon711

Post by jon711 »

chris wrote:Yes, I gather that some of the early restoration work On the SS Great Britain has proved problematic and may have caesed more rot in the hull than it cured . So much work was done to reasearch the best conservation practice in hindsight. It is a question though for conservers in general... How long a life can we preserve something for? From the CVRDA's point of view I think a few true words have been spoken on this forum recently that basically says: hoarding a number old wrecks maynot be the best preservation and once a dinghy has been lovingly restored and you need to move it on will the next owner take good care?
I would respectivly suggest that the CVRDA boats may be slightly different. People that restore and care for a classic, increase it's value (admitdly, not by as much as they spend!!), and if someone was to buy a classic they know what they are buying, and will care for it approprietly - even if it means storing the boat, until it fit's into the restoration schedule.. (A bit like a classic car freak buying an E-Type Jag, when he has three other classics to restore! - may I add that I was the owner of Viva HA GXE 356C (Genuine 28,000 on the clock!), owned by the family from new, designed by my Father, and restored by both of us together - We had no where to store it and sold it to a Viva Fan who had FIVE other Vivas.)

I myself have recently come close to buying two classic boats, but do not have the facilities to maintain them so had to pass them up...

Jon

Oh, and I really enjoyed undersealing the Viva, give me scraping antifoul anytime!!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Thanks for the heads up on this - saw the film clip and was left with the thought - what were they doing with Finns in the Falklands......

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Just had to get the dig in Fat Boy.
Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Al,

Not sure why I'm so keen to extract the michael - I've made not one but two committments to go Finn sailing, once in a classic, the second in an uber modern job.

Will I survive to tell the tale in print, or will the shame knock me off the perch like a dead parrot.

Watch this space.

BTW Al.... re the other thread, about the issues of two events close together and how the Hornets would have played things.

I was trying to think... Nationals finishing at Plymouth on a Friday, a Saturday morning start at...Downs... with stan and lance still pissed, having called in to the Prince Consort en route!

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I think my best/worst effort in my youth was Oulton Week up to including Saturday, Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Ball Saturday night overnight to Hamble for Fossil Bowl (MR Silver Tiller Race.) pre motorways 30mph trailer speed limit towing both ways, back to Lowestoft for Sea Week Sunday PM starting Sea Week Monday AM, memorable for going to sleep driving from Lowestoft to Oulton Broad at a level crossing after racing.
Thank God we've become just a bit more sensible!
Simples.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
Once sailed and won Scottish Nats in Piece of Cake. Then trailed down all night from Helensborough via Perth (to pick up family), then to Starcross for Hornet Open Meeting. We woke all the guys up from Brightlingsea Heppel etc. Who were parked along the edge of the road by Powderam Church. By driving through the thick morning mist at 4.30 playing Ride of Valkyries at full blast with all the windows down and the sun roof open. Comments were made that they had thought the gunships were coming from Apocalypse Now, until the car and boat appeared through the mist.
Cheers Al

PS AG you can use this in your book.