alan williams

Re: Vuvuzela!!

Post by alan williams »

Like wise.
Al
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Hate soccer yes I can agrre on that, tennis (It's Wimbledon again.) is just bashing a ball with the guts of a cat whilst the sun never sets on the umpire, two weeks of very little else on TV anywhere in Europe! At least there is Henley to look forward to in between the sailing.
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

[quote="Ancient Geek"]Hate soccer yes I can agrre on that, tennis (It's Wimbledon again.) is just bashing a ball with the guts of a cat quote]

Not quite.

The Kit is a fiddle as described in German, where "Kitte-gut described the material made from Sheeps intestine used to string a fiddle or "kit." Kitte-gut was described in Germany by Dr Kahne as a valid suture material after he descovered an effective tanning proceedure to give it reliable strength and absorbtion characteristics. This became known in translation inevitably as "Catgut" the description used in the Suture industry.

At The London Hospital (of Elephant man fame) 100years before football "came home" in 1866, Lister discovered that he could reliably use Phenol to sterilize Sheeps Guts, to be used as a medical suture. Prior to this, the gut could be a scource of Tetanus,and heat sterilisation gave it the same predictable properties as Davidh's mainsheet!

From this was developed "London Hospital Catgut." This product had as its advertising motto "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."[/quote]

Exactly, in this as in all things including boatbuilding and repairing.
Simples.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

If the mainsheet fails again, will crew intestines make a suitable 'get you around the course' substitute?

(a bit like using a stocking as a fan belt.... I always thought that this had to be the best ever rationale for getting young ladies to wear stockings: "yes dear, but if the fan belt breaks I can still get you home before 11"!!!!)

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Tempting fate this, but another example of improved kit, when did you last break a fan belt?
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

SORRY, but the next time YOU break the mainsheet, I expect to get my intestine pulled out (By the loving helmsman) to get us home!!! :D

I think I should be finding another ship!! (Although it may cure my piles!!)

Great post, but has made me feel rather uncomfortable (But that could be the piles!!) :lol:

Jon
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

No John, THe cure for piles it go to sea on a very very blowy day just to test conditions for the PRO (One Owen Delaney!) in a Dragon, the only way to stop yourself being thrown across the boat will be to wedge yourself for and aft on the cockpit coaming, well it worked for me!
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Coming back to Vuvuzelas....

I have Wimbleton tickets for Court 1 this monday coming.

Do you thing a Stadium Trumpet might improve the noise levels we seem to have on court these days?

I wonder if anyone will be selling a Wimbledon version. Could be some money in it?? :twisted:
Michael Brigg
jon711

Post by jon711 »

AG,

Been there and know exactly where you are coming from. Crewed Peter Colby, on a Breezy day, with Owen on the line. Took all week for me to recover (Although that may have been, the liquid picnic hamper that Peter always sails with!!)

JT