MacroVirus

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Steve

Re: MacroVirus

Post by Steve »

BEWARE!! A Google search on MacroVirus reveals that it may be malware of Russian origin!
Steve
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thank you Steve, I have deleted the offending message, but will leave your warning.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

This looks alarming. As I and I am sure many others access this sit from work computers, could someone perhaps advise us about what has happened in the background to this.

Has a poster infiltrated the forum and posted a link to something unsavoury? I can recall something like this happened on the firefly site a year or two ago. That was due to poor security precautions on their membership registration.

Could it be that a member has inadvertently allowed a link to a site that transmits this virus.

It would help me (and maybe others) so that we are able to be alert to any internet threats that may be out there.

feeling alarmed and aprehensive... :? :(
Michael Brigg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The message was deleted before I saw it.

The registration for the forum is pretty strong as there's a visual code to type in and a question to answer to ensure that it's someone real wanting to join - not an automated robot

It would appear from the recent new members joining that we may have some idiots trying to add crap to the forum so we've taken the decision to manually approve all new registrations - this means a delay of a few hours but stops both the spammers and those intent in ruining the forum from being allowed to post. Sad day indeed as in nearly 10 years of running the CVRDA forum we've not had to deal with many malicious attacks.

If you do see anything dodgy, linking to virus downloads etc please press the report button that's on each post or send a PM to me, Ed or Rupert.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Someone registered on the site, then posted a message extolling the virtues of an 'Anti-Virus' system named 'MacroVirus' complete with a link to a download site. It may be genuine - but is almost certainly malware.
Steve
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

thanks for that Steve, the poster has been removed.