Gardeners' Question Time

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Nessa

Gardeners' Question Time

Post by Nessa »

I noticed today that the bits of garden that aren't covered in boat (not much then, I hear you cry!) are looking a bit ramshackle. The grass has reappeared and has unforutnately grown, and there appear to be weeds in what might be a flower bed. Now, clearly I have taken care to cultivate the impression that I know nothing about gardening, and that my sore wrist is far too painful to wield our very right handed sharp cutting things (sickaturds?) The grass cutting push along thing is entirely out of the question. And no, none of these movements in any way resemble the action of boat scraping.

So what is to be done? Clearly her indoors is slacking, but I'm loathe to draw her attention to the garden in case she starts counting the boats. Should I try hiring a man to concrete it all over, or would it be simpler to just buy more boats to cover over the gaps?

What does the panel suggest?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Re: Gardeners' Question Time

Post by Pat »

If you can't get away with paving it as a patio (user friendly name for an outside area on which to work on boats) then get 'er outdoors to plant it up with a load of low maintenance shrubs, heathers and perennial ground cover plants. Or get her to grow veg which is far more rewarding (says me whilst eating lunch including the lettuce I picked from the garden this morning).
Adopting Sandy's attitude that gardening can only be done with a JCB and a chainsaw and other such expensive tools is another option :D
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Don't go the concrete route - it is far too easy to damage a boat gunwale on it when moving them around or turning one over. I think planking the whole garden might work, and then laying down astroturf all over it. Green when the other half looks out, but no mowing and both doesn't die when boats are put on it and is soft enough to allow boats to be turned over.
If you completely cover the garden in boats, it does become difficult to get at the one you want to work on - a bit like those puzzles where you have to move the squares around, you need a gap to shift things into! Unless the road is handy, of course, in which case, go for it!
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I read in the paper today that after Spurs experience of artificial playing surfaces in Bern last night Harry Rednapp has called for astroturf to be banned. Apparently he is concerned about his players getting injured so Nessa, with your track record I would also give the astroturf a miss or, as we say in nautical circles, a wide berth. Spurs lost 2-3 as it turns out so if your craft score is similar you should be made aware that away boats count double.
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

JCB and a chainsaw?

My 'dear beloved' does it with a machete and flame thrower.

Slash and Burn, I think its called.

I suggest you get a very big shed to cover the entire garden. That way you will always be able to get that last coat of paint/varnish on.

Or get and old sail and make a 'shade' for the entire garden and then carpet it. Sail Register does them...

...www.sailregister.co.uk

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I'd go for the shed option.

Currently have 3 + workshop - you can't have too many sheds.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

There is only one thing you can do here...

(from the Firefly site)

http://www.fireflysailing.org.uk/regist ... ?sail_no=0

Though 'tis firefly murder :cry: :cry:
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Nessa hate to be a gloom monger but winter is on its way and there will be rain and snow and the like. So as no one looks at the boat yard during these months I think you can safely leave it until April when your wrist/ shoulder etc wil be better able to cope with pushing er indoors outdoors to do these tasks.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
cweed

Post by cweed »

A Finn standing on its' transom with a bench amidships makes a unique garden seat;
Any boat filled with soil is a planter and an asset to the environment;
An upturned dinghy with transoms flaps can easily double as a chicken coop;
Any rotting hulk will attract all kinds of insect and wildlife dwellers and probably boat restorers also;
A grp Oppy sunk in the ground is an ideal pond.

You're garden should be recognised as an environmentally unique heritage site..............
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Finn bench seat would be compete with built in guillotine... :lol:

Anyhow - go for the shed if you can. Make sure its a mono-pitch. That way the top end will easily be high enough to store a couple of pending projects in it (no one will look up - they never do) thus only the current project needs to be at ground level and visible.

:twisted:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Sheds everytime.

If you are looking for inspiration, check out the Discovery Shed channel (Virgin channel 274 every weekend - really!) and look for a programme called Shedheds - 2 blokes build a different shed every programme.

Remarkable & perhaps DH could swing a cable TV old boats programme.

Nigel