What did you learn today?

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Nessa

What did you learn today?

Post by Nessa »

That hanging my newly washed sail out to dry under a tree populated by berry eating birds is not a good idea.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Garry R

Re: What did you learn today?

Post by Garry R »

So that's what happened to the cotton spinnaker (rather pink I recall) that Tim Bury was flying at Clywedog. At least it was cotton!!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Today I learned that I might need further surgery on my hand. The ligament that joins two bones in the back of my hand has not healed itself as the surgeon hoped it might. As a consequence I have yet another splint and am waiting for an appointment with the surgeon, which has been brought forward from December to just over a week away.

I am not in a good mood about this. :cry:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Bummer...
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I learnt over the weekend that 50+ year old cascamite actually does very little to hold a boat together :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

Oh no...a danger that I might be joining you on the injured list! Trying to launch the C boat in a hurry yesterday, slipped on the wet slipway and went down hard. Spent yesterday afternoon in a haze of painkillers, this morning the wrist is swollen and painful. Do not think anything got broken but have clearly done it no good at all....

What else have I learnt?

I'm also starting to have doubts about the long term viability of the Contender (or any other hight performance rocket ship) as a mainstream dinghy for week on week club racing. People like Keith Paul, 70 in the spring are an exception - I'm beginning to feel that although on a sunny day, with a nice stable 15kts of breeze that I can have a great time, if something goes badly wrong then recovery from a bad capsize is getting problematic.

You may all ask what has this to do with the classic scene.

Well - I think it has a lot to do with it - I can see now in greater clarity just why sailing the classic merlin is such fun (maybe that should read sailing any classic boat). there is no reason why one should carry on doing that for years to come and still getting the maximum of enjoyment.
This is not the same as 'taking it easy'...when the breeze was up at Bough Beech it was pedal to the metal big time and I loved it....has to be done.

So that is three things learnt in a weekend.

Trapeze boots and a wet weed covered slipway are not a good combination

Sailing a classic - mindful of the fact that like any old lady that it needs nursing around (equally good for boat and crew) is a great way to extend ones sailing career

A very interesting topic to be researched for a new article - sailing for the silver surfer....

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I now know what spray rails are. I had always referred to them as 'those strips of wood that annoy me when sanding'. I now know I have some and that they are characteristic of a Peter Milne design. I did have to go out and look at the upturned boat though, to work it out, plus a pic from a certain journo's website...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Post by chris »

I learnt what fun it is taking someones else's boat apart and then saying " must go now, you finish it off"
(See Roger's note. Shoestring's hull sections are revealing sectrets! Yes cascamite is totally shot - slip a knife in and PING abount three foot of joint opens up. The ply on the other hand is as clean and fresh as the day it left the forest))
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

My kestrel mast is full of little polystyrene balls. Since it appears to be made of amour plated steel I doubt they will have much effect.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

You can't finish a project (Re-painting a Mirror) in your dads garden - you need a garage - in the late summer. Back in the shed roof till the spring!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
johnconradlee

Post by johnconradlee »

I learnt that a cut down centre board from an early oppie is definitely not strong enough to take the forces placed on it by the minisail of doom in a force 5. I suppose I have also learnt what I shall be doing with a plane and lot of my spare time for the rest of this week.....
John Lee
GP2289
Minisail 2666

"A boat is a large hole in the water into which you pour money"
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have both a minisail daggerboard and rudder. The rudder is horrid and currently lying in my garden waiting to be transformed into firewood, but the daggerboard is in the boatshed in the club. Still might be horrid, but you're welcome to it if you're local.

I am learning that having left the road base at Grafham while needing to play musical boats is not a good thing to have done.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
johnconradlee

Post by johnconradlee »

I'm in Portsmouth. I'm not sure quite how local that makes me.
My rudder is also awful, but hopefully will last the rest of the frostbite series (along with the sail that won't let me go up wind and the interesting mast bottom section which appears to have been internally sleeved with a tree). Still the Minisail is more watertight than my GP.
John Lee
GP2289
Minisail 2666

"A boat is a large hole in the water into which you pour money"
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am near Cambridge, but I will hang on to it in case the cvrda courier service can be put to use.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Last thursday I learned I am likely toi need a titanium plate inserting into my hand to hold two bones together. This is due to the non healing of the ligament I tore when I did the original wrist injury almost exactly a year ago.

No sailing for even longer then.

I am perfecting my left handed scraping technique.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World