are we getting heavier

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
roger

Re: are we getting heavier

Post by roger »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:I am......getting heavier, that is.

.....Would it not be better for all just to reduce sail? Or is 'Reef' a naughty word?.....If so, sorry, I won't mention it again......ssssshh!

:wink:
We had a Wayfarer at the Nats who is normally a very competetive man but decided that a reef would suit his wife so sailed the nats reefed and they BOTH enjoyed themselves. Of course when offered a blast in the F ball he just couldnt say no.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Steve Bailey

Post by Steve Bailey »

Was that the Fireball that someone fell out of and nearly got run over by an Albacore?
roger

Post by roger »

:oops: nearly run over by a flying fifteen. Even scarier Keith and Big AL were in said boat. Not sure if they missed deliberatley or not.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

The early merlins such as Iska no. 6 have weighted boards. about the last ten inches is lead on a wooden board. I don't know how it would behave with a plain wooden one but I expect the boat would just fall over when at rest on the jetty. If nothing else the weighted boat is a counter weight to the 25' wooden mast. Iska has fallen over once when we came ashore on the Thames; we were out of the boat holding it, the sail was down, the board up, a puff of wind on the mast and once it was beyond a certain angle all we could do was to control it a bit as she fell over. (ps the beam is only 4'7" too)

I have several merlin centre boards from early days that show something of development ideas early on. One with the lead half sawn off, one made from 1/2" alloy (quite heavy), One made from a very light timber (might even be hollow) and then a small amount of lead at the tip (would be interesting to see if it has positive bouyancy or not). One from thin steel and various shaped wooden ones.
I would guess that the weighted ones were abandonded soon after the rules shortening the masts from 25' to 22'6" max. came in ( and many boats wents for a lower rig still) 1949.