Finns......

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
neil
Site Admin

Finns......

Post by neil »

Just need to check that youtube vids still embed. and it's an excuse to show some Finns :wink:
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
roger

Re: Finns......

Post by roger »

Great vid Neil. One ofthe few that make sailing look exciting.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nice that Finn sailors have music to sail to, isn't it?

Maybe we should put background music on at cvrda events, too...possibly it would have to be less dramatic, especially in no wind at BASC, say. A lullaby, perhaps? Any suggestions?
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote:A lullaby, perhaps? Any suggestions?
Personally I have always wanted to go out for a Championship race with Men at Work blasting out Down Under at a high decibels level... Function of age and nationality I guess:-)
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

In my IOR days the cockpit speakers were a must have, needed to get through the mind numbing (and bum numbing) rail riding of RORC races.

Lots of Dire Straits I seem to remember (well, it was the 80s)

alan williams

Post by alan williams »

And we used to sail to Deep Purple and our theme song was Smoke on the Water when racing a certain lead mine in Plymouth. Blasted across San Fransico Bay on a Big Melges (owned by ex brother in law) to Blue Oyster Cult and Motely Crew.
Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ha.... remember it well - and if not Dire Straits then REM.

But if Music be the food of love...spare a thought for all those Finn sailors, with their on board multi track hi fi systems (that go with the plumbed in heads and marble bath) who will be searching through their record collections for something suitable to play next week.

Lets help them along with a few suggestions.......

If you leave me now.....Chicago

Don't leave me this way....Jimmy Sommerville/Communards

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...Elton John

and as they seem stuck in a time warp, how about the forever cheesy...

The Carnival is Over..... The Seekers

There is just one fly in the ointment! I've a nasty feeling that post Olympic Membership, the Finn, instead of tottering away into senility and retirement, will go from strength to strength.

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

we lost some post earlier - luckily the Finn thread was open in another window so I have the lost Finn messages

post subject: Re: Finns......Posted: 04 Nov 2010 18:08

Much as I love to see the Finn as an Olympic Class, it will make not a jot of difference to me if it does not make the cut for the next circus, as I will still continue to sail what I consider the only real singlehander to meet my needs and and those of a lot of other sailors as well.
200-300 sailors prepared to travel to a World Masters every year I think speaks for itself.

FD GBR365(awaiting rebuild)

Ed
Post subject: Re: Finns......Posted: 04 Nov 2010 18:50

Site Admin

And I think it is that immense support from so many sailors across the world that makes it such a good Olympic class

eib

Jollyboat J3, J335 &J? - One must go!
Firefly F2942
IC K41 & GBR242
MR 638 - For sale
Phelps Sculling Boat
Bathurst Whiff - in the workshop
Also, Tideway on the River and 15ft Looe Launch (on back-boiler)

neil
Post subject: Re: Finns......Posted: 05 Nov 2010 10:41

Site Admin

Ed's completely right about the support.

Look at the countries that sail the Finn, lok at the youth programme, look how carefully the international politics are managed.

The problem with mosts of the discussion are they are too UK centric. The rest of the world sails as well, it's just that they are not dominated by RS etc and a perceived need to sail homogenous grey plastic snot

Flying 15: GBR 2147

alan williams
Post subject: Re: Finns......Posted: 05 Nov 2010 11:39

Hi
There's also the fact that these boats last for ever.They are a more modern class in the development that has taken place than the 470 or Laser. The boat can be sailed now by a fairly wide range of above average sized sailors. It has a fantastic Class structure, produced more world class sailors than any other class in recent times. The finn is manufactured on every continent which most other classes cannot boast about and are loved by all who sail them. Losing the five ring circus status I feel would be a benefit to the class as the price would proberbly fall. The Dragon Class has really moved on in numbers once it lost it's Olympic status. The Finn would still continue to grow in numbers as it's a bloody good boat.
Cheers Al

Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

So far the Olympic status of the Finn seems to be safe in the eyes of the ISAF Committee although its early days and a lot can happen before the final nod is given, however it would appear that sailing is becoming more of a sport for the fairer sex with the posibility of the ladies outnumbering the men if it goes as indicated.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey....

yes, well done to the Finns for yet another fighting rearguard action. Amongst my many vices betting is not a feature (I do not even do the lottery) which in some ways is a shame as I was offered a £50 bet that somehow the Star would reappear before the dust settled. Not only do I not bet but even if I did this would not be a wager that I'd go for?

Much of the problem is wth the way these things are done - very little in the way of accountability or transparency. Elsewhere Jim C and Chris 249 have commented on the proposals for the 470, which after all is a boat sailed on a worldwide basis, yet may be replaced by a womens skiff that will have a very narrow band of appeal. Of course the answer is the ISAF nightmare of TV and 'televisual appeal' - - hence the plan to race the 49ers in a 'grandstand format'. Okay, so you succeed in making a tiny part of the sport into something appealing to a wider audience. Oh really.....will this make the sport any more understandable to the so called 'man in the street'?

No, at the root of this is the naked wanting of the money that comes from the Olympics, courtesy of the TV channels. ISAF and the RYA have grown fat on the cash that underpins this all and should the tap be turned off, then the whole pack of cards falls. Gosh, teh RYA might even have to start remembering that it is there to look after grass roots sailing.

Meanwhile, the Finn will march on, well organised and managed, catering for a wide band of ages and on a global basis. Is there not a message in there somewhere for the so called administrators of the sport!

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:Brooksey....

...Of course the answer is the ISAF nightmare of TV and 'televisual appeal' ...

...Meanwhile, the Finn will march on, well organised and managed, catering for a wide band of ages and on a global basis. Is there not a message in there somewhere for the so called administrators of the sport!

D
Bring on Simon Cowell!!!

Does this mean the Finn Gold medal will be decided by Finn sailors with tear stained (waterproof) mascara, in close up, appealing to the ISAF committee??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Michael Brigg
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

davidh wrote:Brooksey....

should the tap be turned off, then the whole pack of cards falls. Gosh, teh RYA might even have to start remembering that it is there to look after grass roots sailing.

D
well - at least some of the money is funding instructor and race coach training locally to me. It would be kind of nice to see a full national breakdown on how this money is being spent - but asking my regional development officer, it seems there is money to be spent at grass roots of the sport. Have you tackled yours? I'd love to know if there are regional variations on how the cash flows.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
davidh

Post by davidh »

All,

You will see the comment from 'Ed in red' below. To save any further embarrassment I have removed my comments on this subject though I stand pretty much by what I said. There is at least one other 'real' CVRDA supporter who I am sure would echo some of the sentiments I expressed - if not the actual detail. As someone who tries hard to see 'across' the sport as a whole, it does worry me that as you come down through the various 'levels' of the sport, that the amount of dialogue and support can get less - when to me, it should be more! This is a view that I am proud to hold as I earnestly believe that the world of sailing (not just in dinghies) is in danger of being short changed.

We have a lot of supportive Finn sailors in the CVRDA, which makes one think of another famous Finn sailor, the one and only Jack Knights. As many of you will remember, Jack was an insightful and at times acerbic yachting journalist and I am sure that if he were still with us, he would have been far more forthright that I've ever been and would certainly be having his say at the state of things as they are today.

Sadly, as I too now face the threat of a big stick, it is with regret that I have also asked Ed if he will now 'lock' this thread. I will continue to post on such matters as the Swordfish that thinks it is an Albacore - and where possible, I will do everything I can to support the search for lost classes.

I end with a thank you for the support that I have had on this matter,

D

I have been in touch with the RYA who have told me that this is 'factually incorrect' and that although there was an idea to buy some models, it was not pursued. EIB - Forum Admin
Last edited by davidh on Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

In general (apart from maybe in funding teachers and coaches, which, as John says, they do already) I can't really see what the RYA are going to spend the money on? They are, of course, welcome to buy me a new boat, or even some new cleats for the old one, but as it is my hobby, why should they? They could spend the money on clubs (and I suspect to some extent do) but again they are private places with a membership who pay to be there, so unless there is major work (like lottery grants fund, or at least used to) I can't see why they need to help. Now, if the club needs advice on anything from the law to setting up a training wing, I would expect the RYA to help, and from my experience they do exactly that. Of course, it may have been that my surname helped with getting great advice from the lady I spoke to, but I don't really think so.
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »