New to CVRDA

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
roger

Re: New to CVRDA

Post by roger »

Mark I saw on the Hornet site you have had trouble with the kite. It seems your shute is made for the smaller kite. (pre god knows when). Try putting the kite in a bin bag spray tent waterproofer in(cant remember thename). shake well and then allow to dry. This will make the kite hold less water when its wet and make it more slippery and pro lube the chute but if, as it looks like, the hole is to small then you mayhave to resort to using bags to store the kite and launch like you do the wayfarer one.

and yes I agree it does look like the mast is to upright.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Demon

Post by Demon »

Thanks Rodger, all makes sense! Think i have some "Fab seal" or similar in the loft what i was going to use on the family tent, think it needs to come down for a more important use!
davidh

Post by davidh »

demon

I have in one of my reference books a section on the set up of the hornet rig circa the time of your boat - I'll have a quick butchers at that and see what it says. But...as a starting point, a good rule of thumb is to set the boat up level. Normally (but this is not a definite) the top of the plate case is pretty much horizontal. Chock the boat up so that it is level, then set your rig for 'about' 10" of rake, measured between the aft edge of the mast at the sheerline level and a plumb bob hung on the main halyard. Yes, you can measure it on a setting from the mast head to the transom but with the overlapping genoa, the Hornet can repay carrying a little pre bend lower down as this helps flatten the entry to the main and thus opening up the slot a tad..... but this can have a BIG impact on the mast head position. So...you could end up with the mast head/transom measurement looking good but the mast still overly upright!

Sorry if that sounds complex but really it isn't. Set the mast up so that the static setting is about right and then start the tweaking from there. BTW- are those 'limited swing' spreaders - the mast looks the right vintage?

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Demon,

Okay...yes...just been and checked and the book says 9".......(Rake Alan W, mast rake).....

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
Would agree 9" good starting point. I used to rake further aft in strong conditions up to about 11" The main thing is the width of the genoa slot. Mike Mac's mantra is ease and ease again. Do not over sheet as this will just kill the boat. Play the traveller up wind and keep the boat relatively flat although a sight heel can pay dividens to get the chine to creat "lift" to windward. Gybe from a run to a run and you will not fall in, tight reach to tight reach is a receipe for swimming.
Spreader settings will depend on the mast that you have and the weight of crew.
Regards Al
roger

Post by roger »

Mark,

Just a thought, If you are going to race her at your club you will find your boat is no where near the Hornet PY. You may be able to ask them to give you an adjusted handicap. My first one was very similar to yours and was normally a few minutes behind the rest of the fleet as was the other planker Hornet out. Of course some of that would be down to my lack of skill(or even most).
We may be able to get you some figures from our classic results.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Demon

Post by Demon »

Thanks Roger,

Not quite sure what i want to do with her yet! Certainly would benefit from some newer sails but i dont think i will be throwing money at brand new sails!

I think the Hornet is too big for our water at Stanstead Abbotts so may just keep her for events if i can get her sorted a little better. I intend on hanging on to it a while, its turning out to be an interesting dinghy with a few people showing an interest in having a try out in her.

I am however torn on what to do with "The Plank"? Having crewed more modern boats, i have been out on a trapeze and do enjoy it! (even if i aint that good at it) and to be honest i did find the plank a big obstruction getting from one side to the other! Do i need more time on it? I dont know. And to be honest if i intend to helm then i need a simple solution for various crew, and most crew would have experience on a trapeze and not on a plank!

I mentioned the possibilty to my last crew of using Demon for the IOS race next, and i was told where to get off! Looks like the Wafarer then!!
davidh wrote:just been and checked and the book says 9".......(Rake Alan W, mast rake).....D
Thanks Dave, Will have a look at that next time im at the club and i will post up any difference i find!

Regards

Mark
roger

Post by roger »

Mark,

It may be possible to keep the plank and have the trap. On my last to boats the Bridge was detachable so you could try the trap and the plank and see how you like it.

The plank does mean it is a rareity but not with any more value. I have found that the plank certainly draws an interest on the beach but it is a big lump in the way. I have found it pretty easy to get crews who want to try the experience and it is much easier for someone who has never trapezed after all you only have to sit on it.

When my daughter was crewing I was sliding the plank out for her as we tacked but I have aft /transom sheeting so no main sheet to get in the way. Once the plank is out and the crew is on it its not in the helms way at all but in light winds it is a pain.

I googled your lake it is as you say quite small and not ideal for a Hornet to find her feet but I have sailed mine at Shearwater which has steep sides and high trees with lots of wind shifts.

Whatever you do have fun.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Demon

Post by Demon »

Hi Rodger,

Had a look at the plank and yes it does come off with just the removal of four bolts.

Think i may remove it and lose a bit of weight then set it up with a trapeze. Every bit of weight we can lose is a bonus, we had 26 stone on her sunday and it showed with the poor result!
roger

Post by roger »

Demon wrote:Hi Rodger,

Had a look at the plank and yes it does come off with just the removal of four bolts.

Think i may remove it and lose a bit of weight then set it up with a trapeze. Every bit of weight we can lose is a bonus, we had 26 stone on her sunday and it showed with the poor result!
Light winds and new to the boat would have made a lot of difference.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Demon

As Roger rightly says, light airs (never the Hornet's stongest suite) and new to the boat are both big issues - add in the set up of the mast and you would have your work cut out!

The Hornet is not bad as a weight carrier - better in that respect than the 470 or Furball...

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Mark your rig is a 1969 - 71 sail set up I think, as you have the old mainsail straight leech and a genoa. The main was changed to the current mainsail shortly after and the spinnaker size increased at the AGM in Plymouth which I think was around the late 60's early seventies but I can't remember the exact year. The changes were brought about by David Tabb a sailmaker and did result in improving the all round performance of the boat. These changes along with the Revolution hull which was also developed around this time, produced a very good all conditions racer. Prior to these changes the Hornet was thought of as only a heavy weather performer and a very quick one at that. I once beat a 505 European champion sailing the Hornet with its original rig on a twenty five mile race. The last ten miles were a beat to winward in steep seas in about a six the Hornet was never over powered and we just crossed the finishing line two boats lengths ahead of the 505. I can honestly say that this was the best race of my sailing career.
Have fun with the boat.
Cheers Al
Last edited by alan williams on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demon

Post by Demon »

Already posted this on the Hornet forum, but for those who are not members........................

Had a play around on the old girl yesterday, and i know what people said about the plank, but i removed it to see how much difference it made.

And i absoloutley love it! Was out with a friend who has agreed to crew for any events i would like to have a go at in the future.

We were sailing in only about 10mph of wind with gusts only reaching there early 20's but it still felt like the dinghy was fairley quick!

Anyway, a couple of shakey videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW2z9d1Wo1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bt5VN5YQfE
roger

Post by roger »

Looking good Mark.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353