Plans

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
davidh

Re: Plans

Post by davidh »

Al,

Lovely - and thank you for that. I was trying to explain to someone just the other day that the facts and figures - who won what and when - probably exist somewhere...but it is the little cameo stories, like the one you've just shared, that make the sport of dinghy sailing (as we know it) special.

I do wonder if, in another generation's time, someone one will be thinking along these lines for the simple reason that I would question now if the same degree of 'fun' exists. The way we sailed....drive to an open after work on Friday, get wrecked in the bar, rig boat, sail a race on the Saturday afternoon, party Saturday night, 2 races sunday, pack up, drive home, ready to start work on the Monday...all added up to a big 'fun time' and free for all.

Elsewhere, in other forums, there has been a lot of debate as to why the sport is starting to struggle...... despite the wealth of top tier talent, teh grass roots numbers tell a different story. Could it be that the sport we enjoyed, from building the boat, painting and varnishing, 'fitting out' suppers - to sailing with a certain loyalty to the class you sailed - has all gone the way of gold anodised spars?

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
I agree that there seems to be a different attitude to sailing as a sport. Everyone be they a Cadet or a good sailor seem to be obsessed with winning making the RYA team and getting a sponsor regardless of whether they are really going to make the grade. When we used to sail the winning did n't really matter and to me doesn't now. It was like the meeting of rugby clubs, banter, spoofin, drinking and a good laugh, throw in a disco and a good time was had by all. Sometimes we had to make are own entertainment singing, playing silly bar games or at MSC having a game of Skittles and the infamous team beer race of which MSC were always the Champs (could n't sail but boy could the guys drink). Smashing piano's one per team was another passtime and also the smashing of those old abandoned Furballs, remember that and all the pieces had to pass though a bog seat to win.
Well those days have gone and now everything is PC and to me lack the colour of the past, when winter sailing ment sailing with a full set of oilskins extra pullovers and nicking your sisters winter tights.
Cheers Al
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Al has a really good idea here, a CVRDA winter championship. Sailed in January or February, no wetsuits allowed, sister's tights obligatory.

This is in the banter section isn't it?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

alan williams wrote: and also the smashing of those old abandoned Furballs, remember that and all the pieces had to pass though a bog seat to win.
No wonder there are so many lost classes! Obviously only a few in inaccessible garages covered in brambles survived!

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
chris

Post by chris »

We've had images of Al leading a sing along in the showers and now he's wearing his sister's woolly tights... What is going on in Cornwall?

Winter drawers on...
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Chris
Do n't ask me whats going on in Cornwall I live in Devon.
Happy Christmas Al
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

alan williams wrote:Chris
Do n't ask me whats going on in Cornwall I live in Devon.
Happy Christmas Al
Hmmm...

In which case, since we are talking of tights and all things.

The Iconic song for you might be Pet Shop boys "Go West." :lol:

How the H*** did we get here from a thread on Uffa's Plans for "Avenger." The only thing in common I can think of is "Iconic!" :shock: :?

But anyway, since we are here, and its nearly Christmas, how about this link???

Its a bit rude. :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDNwkZPchLo
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

This is an excellent thread, but I think Peter is right, so I have moved it to the Banter section, so we can continue as far off topic as we like without any guilt!
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

And for those fans of Clywedog .........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRE9qOg ... er&list=UL
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Garry R wrote:And for those fans of Clywedog .........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRE9qOg ... er&list=UL
Well since we've moved so quickly away from boats to Sheep...

Its got to be Christmassy Garry.

Fairy lights?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw
Michael Brigg
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi JPA
What you have to take on board it was the Hornet fleet smashing up the old Furballs.
Cheers Al
Peter H

Post by Peter H »

A contribution on two fronts.

Aged about 14, and a very inexperienced dinghy racer, my Father and I were visiting clubs that might prove suitable for me to join. We went to Ranelagh, on the Thames at Putney, where I became a last minute crew for Jack Holt in a Merlin Rocket, (whose mast was mounted on a moveable kingpost, so that the mast foot could be moved fore and aft. I remember that bit clearly, but not how tension on the rig was maintained when this happened). Mr Holt was so engrossed in attempting to persuade a fellow competitor to invest in a new boat, that we were late for the start, and he groused the whole way round. My first example of the perils of mixing business with pleasure.

And then to the Hornet, one of which I used to borrow on occasions (notably the Medway Hornet Open, with guests like Beecher Moore and Bob Fisher). In those days the Hornet still had her USP, the sliding seat, a far more secure and forgiving hiking tool than the trapeze later adopted. Not only did the Hornet become merely a pointed Fireball, but the girl crews which were so typical of the boats then became less common.

A parallel example of this sort of "progress" was the GP14's adoption of the genoa, which at a stoke turned the boat from a mixed crewed boat to one needing a beefy strongman to be competitive.

Peter H
johnconradlee

Post by johnconradlee »

"the GP14's adoption of the genoa, which at a stoke turned the boat from a mixed crewed boat to one needing a beefy strongman to be competitive."
I keep trying to find female helms.....(that makes me a beefy strongman?)
I'm still not competitive but at least I can blame someone (as opposed to the poor old leaky boat).
John Lee
GP2289
Minisail 2666

"A boat is a large hole in the water into which you pour money"