Plans

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Garry R

Plans

Post by Garry R »

chris

Re: Plans

Post by chris »

There should be an archive for this sort of thing, they do appear from time to time.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I bought a set of these last year.

You get a Photocopy. :evil:

I'm not sure what the legal situation is. It's certainly not original.

I felt ripped off. Its fine if you really want it for reference, but you are NOT getting anything with any provenance.
Michael Brigg
chris

Post by chris »

Ah, that's rather a different matter indeed.
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

"Original copies" are available from the Uffa Fox web site www.uffafox.com or is it www.uffafox.co.uk they are about 50 to 40 pounds a go if they are photocopies or dyline prints I do not know, but anyway Uffa was not the draftsman, his designs were back of the fag packet or on the mould jobs tidied up by one of the draftsmen in one of the Cowes Shipyards or boatbuilder design offices, doubtless for pin money.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Bill,

It is one of the reasons that I've tended to 'body swerve' the Uffa Fox boats and history. Were they originals - or relating to Proctor, Milne or Holt then I've have gone after them as quickly and as hard as possible!

One does not want to sound like a 'revisionist' - rewriting history...but when you look at the path of racing dinghy development it is all too easy to overstate the part played by Fox. Interestingly, the role of Jack Holt - who has his centenary in 2012 - really does need to be 'bigged up'!

So if anyone has any details on the life of Jack...pictures, documents, artefacts of any sort.... yes, I'd been keen to have copies!!

Cheers

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote: all too easy to overstate the part played by Fox.
I suspect his writing may have been more important than his drawing. As Churchill said after WW2 - "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Uffa predated Holt, Proctor and the other "dinghy boomers", and without his input, they would not have been starting from where they did. Mind, without Morgan Giles, Uffa would have been starting elsewhere, too. It is possible that Holt needs to be "bigged up", but that doesn't need to be at the expense of what went before. I agree Uffa's writing and character brought him to the public eye, but isn't that what dinghy sailing needed to get it out from the shadow of yotting?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

the last thing I would want to do is to belittle or reduce the changes in dinghy sailing that are down to Uffa. But....there is a view that much of his best work (in dinghy terms) was done pre war.

So much of the great post war boom is down to the influence of others - yet when I did my development chart - Uffa still had the centre of the chart.

D
David H
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

One should also point out that Uffa was far from the peoples builder, he kept yottin' albeit in small boats aklive with his Nobby friends from Royalty through the peerage the upper echalons of business Oxford and Cambridge a very adept social climber who did not recall whence he came!
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Hmmmm, this all sounds very familar :wink:

Anyway as this thread is about Uffa fox plans.....here's the genuine article.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/flying-fifteen-Fl ... 500wt_1156
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
One of my favourite poems and one that often hits the mark. I rather prefer this as a more generous assessment of Mr Fox, who though undoubtably a man of strong opinion, might also be seen as an example of how the best way to tackle class division is simply to ignore its existence, along the lines of "A cat may look at a King."

I do not think a campaign to rewrite what is known of our past Illuminate is very helpful and is likely only to stir up strong feelings.

Better surely to extol the virtues of our past than to sucumb to a very British disease of Bowling our own stumps down.

Let us by all means seek out the triumphs of Jack Holt, but it will help no one to make a big deal about Uffa's personality. Gordon Bennett was similarly endowed with a "common touch", and much beloved! :roll:

Perhaps if Uffa had been a younger man he would have been our very own Tom Blackaller... and sailed a Hornet. Although I suspect he might not have had the same sense of humour, being a man who took himself very seriously!

I have already PM'ed David with a snippet I heard about Jack Holt as having been a "Very modest, and charming, somewhat shy man." A humble man who always strove to bring the best of sailing within reach of every man.

Wether you like their boats or not, you cannot get away from the fact that Jack Holt put the dinghy racing scene within reach of everyman, where Uffa did an equally important job of raising it's profile with the "establishment."
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd certainly agree about the pre-war bit, David - post war his ideas were moved on, by Farrar in the 14's and by Holt and Proctor in the 12's, and diagonally in the Merlin. I'm pretty sure, too, that the Morrison designs see his ideas quite clearly.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert and Michael,

no worries, uffa's place in history is safe. I'm far more interested though in what Holt, Proctor and Milne did in the post war period.

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi David
I remember talking to Jack at a Dinghy Exhibition a fair while ago. The Hornet stand had two boats a Goodwin and a boat built by a builder from Kent. I think I was the only person who recognised Jack as he was standing back and about 20ft from the stand ( I was n't manning the hornet stand). He said he really approved of Malcom's development but thought the other boat displayed was a great disapointment. He was very generous in his comments about the Revo saying that if he had designed the Hornet at the time Malcom redesigned it that the outcome would have been similar to the Revo. He did feel that all the changes made to the boat were proberbly for the better but regretted that their were fewer women sailing the the boats now.
Cheers Al