Introduction

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
SoggyBadger

Introduction

Post by SoggyBadger »

Hello,

New member here. Learned to sail in the late 60's. Started off with a Heron which we raced at a local gravel pit for a couple of seasons before I decided I wanted something bigger and faster. Ended up with an Osprey(!) which we raced at Chase until the fleet died. Switched to Merlins for a couple of seasons then went back to Ospreys when the Osprey fleet at Blithfield started up. Raced there for about 10 years before giving up sailing entirely to pursue other interests.

Last year I decided I'd like to do a bit of sailing again so bought an old Heron. According to her log book she was built circa 1975 although from the brass fittings on her I suspect she's much older. The front buoyancy bag has the date 1962 stamped on it which may also be a clue. Just to confuse things further she wasn't registered until 2001 so her sail number is 10032!

Anyway that's enough rambling from me. Hopefully I'll be able to attend one or two CVRDA events.
Best wishes

SB
davidh

Re: Introduction

Post by davidh »

Paul,

wonderful news - looking forward to seeing the Heron, there are others already in the hands of cvrda members so you'll be in good company!

2011 looks like being quite a bumper year!

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the knackered old boats society. You will find we are afriendly bunch on and off the water. Look forward to seeing the Heron on the water.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
kfz

Post by kfz »

Hiya Paul.

Kev
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

My dad had a Heron as a first boat when he got into sailing and I have had two used a re-introduction after a 20 year lay-off. My last one was of a 1959 vintage.

Great little boat for taking novices out. I found it particularly useful for taking new youngsters out at our club's Cadet Squadron. Show them the ropes as it were.

You might find that she was fitted out with parts from an expired boat. I take it she is a 'wood on frame' boat with a Gunter rig?

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:You might find that she was fitted out with parts from an expired boat.
I can't prove that didn't happen but I think it's unlikely that anyone would recycle a 13 year old buoyancy bag. Some of the brass fittings are very low cost such as deck clips and it would just seem pointless to re-use such items on a new boat.
Stephen Hawkins wrote: I take it she is a 'wood on frame' boat with a Gunter rig?

Cheers

Steve H
Yes framed construction and gunter rigged. The mast may be original as it's got a brass gooseneck. The gaff may be newer as the brass halyard attachment (which looks a bit home-made) doesn't look particularly aged. She came with a suit of Rockall sails which are not in bad nick considering their likely age. But I've cut her a new main and jib anyway specifically for single-handed cruising with the main being flatter and having a set of reef points. This spring I'll cut her a genoa and a fuller main for racing and, if I get time, a spinnaker.
Best wishes

SB