Introductions

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Rupert

Introductions

Post by Rupert »

With the number of people contributing fascinating information to the forum having grown over the last few months, I thought it might be nice if we introduced ourselves to each other! That way when reading posts, we can have an idea of what people's interests are within the tiny world of classic boats, where and what people sail, and possibly even what people's actual names are!

So I'll make a start:

Hi, my name is Rupert Whelan. I first got involved with the cvrda back in 1999, when the first event was put on at Roadford. I sail at Whitefriars SC on the Cotswold water park, and my long term classic boat love is Saskia the Firefly. (A confession - she isn't mine - she belongs to my better half...)

I used to do lots of boat restorations, specializing in Fairey Marine boats, but have got out of the habit, now. As well as Saskia, I've owned (in a very tart-like manner) many other classic dinghies. My latest flame is a flat bottomed wooden Minisail, built some time in the early 70's, and great fun in a breeze, so long as the tiller doesn't snap! I'm also the current cvrda commodore and Minisail class representative.

Next, please!
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Re: Introductions

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Okay, I'll bite first.

I am based round the corner from Rupert at South Cerney Sailing Club. Eight years ago I returned to sailing after almost a 20 year layoff and since then I have enjoyed a 1959 Heron, a 1979 Miracle and I am currently besotted by 'clinker boats of Olde' as I have a 1959 Merlin and a 1948 National 12. Both my boats looking for a little TLC over the winter.

Not to mention my Son's 1956 Cadet

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
roger

Post by roger »

As it says on the left I am Roger. My first cvrda event was at Shearwater where I was surprised to find my regular boat qualified for the event.
Since then I have restored Hornet k140 (with more than alittle help from my firends) who is now on permanent loan in Devon.
I was commodore for several years and stood down last year.
I now own Shoestring Hornet 191 (who is very pretty) the family GP14 currently waiting for a serious overhaul and my new toy a plastic Minisprint for those days when there are no crews.

We have made many friends through the cvrda and long may its friendly atmosphere continue.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I got sucked into the CVRDA in 2000 when they turned up at Roadford, and I had a ToY

Since then I've had
  • 5 (I think) ICs
  • 2 Flying 15s
  • Pegasus
  • Spearhead
  • Illusion 2
  • Solo
  • Tideway
  • 4 Finns
  • Merlin Rocket (lasted less than 24 hours before being burned)
If it hadn't been for the CVRDA I'd never have got back into dinghies (or owned, restored, sworn at so many boats)

Now planning some time away from sailing, but will be using the time and money raised from selling most of the current fleet (which is rapidly diminishing) to restore Zenith, my 1926 Sven Thorell designed, Nunn Bros built, Swedish 'B' Class Canoe.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Pat

Post by Pat »

I'm Pat (Patricia to those who don't know me and my late mother when she was cross) and I went into computers in the seventies with a computing degree and then working for various software houses. I'm still writing software and databases to pay the bills so I also look after the main cvrda website.
Despite having sailors and boat builders in my ancestry, I'd only sailed on Brightlingsea boating lake as a child and in motor boats (fishing :-( )whilst married. I divorced and joined Shearwater sailing club where I met my other half Sandy, who is a carpenter by training and a builder by trade, turning his hand to most property maintenance. With a couple of boats each when we met, it's no real surprise that we've now got about ten, but our favourite is the 1968 Merlin Rocket "Half Cut", a pretty boat we bought from Chris Barlow after we first went to a cvrda event at Roadford in 2004 when Roger re-launched his first planker.
We now live in a country cottage within a lion's roar of Longleat Safari Park, chosen for the size of the boat park area and the workshop garage and sail at Shearwater and also at Bristol Corinthian club at Cheddar. I've had camper vans for twenty five years and we enjoy travelling around Britain to class and open events, but especially the cvrda events which are the friendliest of all.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

neil wrote:I got sucked into the CVRDA in 2000 when they turned up at Roadford, and I had a ToY

Since then I've had
  • 5 (I think) ICs
  • 2 Flying 15s
  • Pegasus
  • Spearhead
  • Illusion 2
  • Solo
  • Tideway
  • 4 Finns
  • Merlin Rocket (lasted less than 24 hours before being burned)
If it hadn't been for the CVRDA I'd never have got back into dinghies (or owned, restored, sworn at so many boats)

Now planning some time away from sailing, but will be using the time and money raised from selling most of the current fleet (which is rapidly diminishing) to restore Zenith, my 1926 Sven Thorell designed, Nunn Bros built, Swedish 'B' Class Canoe.
Neil are you keeping Rannoch?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

roger wrote: Neil are you keeping Rannoch?
Sadly not, as my IC planking days are over. I'll be putting a more detailed post on the forum about Rannoch in the next few days.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Ok.

Tony. based in Pwllheli/Abersoch, in N Wales.

From a boatbuilding/fishing/ sailing background, but have worked in the environmental field, particularly tree management for 30 years. took early retirement in May.

I'm mainly a keelboat sailor, having swapped my Mirror for a Dragon back in the late 60's, until giving up entirely and going surfing..

Have owned FF's, catamarans and until 2007 a Soling and on deciding to downsize, took up open canoeing.

Was offered an old grp N18 in 2008, and having seen the result of a retro restyling in Classic Boat thought it would be a good project. Still not finished.

Since then I have acquired a v nice 1969 Merlin Rocket and a somewhat 'unstable' planker - Unit 2/7.

i'm still in the keelboat mode of cleating off the main, so I tend to swim a lot.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Demon

Post by Demon »

Hmmmm, Well.......

Im Mark, 42 year old draughtsman from Hertfordshire married to Toni (Anntionette) with Alex (stinky) 2 year old son.

Got into sailing less than 4 years ago! Was at Centre Parcs (near Thetford) for an Easter holiday with the inlaws, decided i wanted to get away from everyone and have a bit of time out! Only thing i could do was book a sailing lesson, on a Topper :roll: :roll:

Had 30 minutes tuition then 30 minutes on my own, came back in and booked the boat for another couple of hours :shock: :shock:

Came home and decided i wanted to try a little more sailing and so visited our local sailing club and now own " A laser, Wayfarer, 420 and the Hornet"

Have made many new friends from all walks of life within the sailing comunity and look forward to meeting many more :wink:
JimC

Post by JimC »

Jim(!). I play with computers for a living and live near Epsom in Surrey. I normally sail at Island Barn reservoir, which is near Hampton Court.

I mostly sail a reasonably modern IC which at some stage will turn into a very modern IC
I have a 1970 Bruce Farr Cherub with a 1973 vintage Bethwaite wooden wing mast which is sadly laid up for the forseeable future with glue failure and damage caused by an ill-advised attempt to clean up the interior using soda blasting.
I also have an Eleven plus which is waiting for me to get round to doing some work with veneers and could be up for grabs to the right person
I could be tempted by a Skol Mk3 Moth or a Toy, but realistically have to shift the Eleven Plus first to make room.

I used to have a moderately high profile in the Cherub Class, but these days stay very much at arms length for reasons too complicated to explain.
Last edited by JimC on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris

Post by chris »

Chris - Secretary of the CVRDA,
Proper Job - Self employed maker of harpsichords and fortepianos.( I gave up teaching design and technology 33 years ago)
Live in Somerset, sail at Shearwater.
Ist CVRDA event was Roadford 2000 and have enjoyed joining in as many events as possible. I have managed to win the Bell several times for turning up to the most events but strangely have failed to win the traveller's series nearly as often!
We started sailing in 1991 as we thought it would be a fun thing for us and two daughters.Got hooked, one daughter also got hooked on tall ships and now teaches all kinds of water sports.Both daughters still enjoy sailing.
Our first boat was merlin 507 bought for 20 quid as I was too mean to buy a better boat. Restored it and then heard about the CVRDA and realised I wasn't the only idiot to like old boats, have made some great friends and sailed in many interesting places.
Boats I have owned or restored:
Edwardian punt, merlin 507,6, 2121,1477, nat12 no 672, 2 rowing boats.and an Albacore
2 toppers and a comet not wooden!
Boats I would like to own but just haven't got the time so mustn't : Early Uffa Fox 14 (have sailed against Andrew Thornhill in his. They are just so beautiful!
Pipe dream boat to make - elegant steam launch - I like polishing brass!
Alternative pipe dream boat - Edwardian 26' Thames skiff with sails and camping hoops etc.
Current project: restoring Gently (Merlin 16) which was Jack Holt's own boat.
Life wouldn't have been the same without the CVRDA - oh and I sleep with the treasurer!
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Hi I am Max McCarthy (as you could probably guess)
I am 15 years old and have been sailing for 5 years. I first discovered the CVRDA when all my searches on google about the skol moth I have just renovated led to this site, I thoroughly enjoy sailing and have sailed in a reggata in France when there were 15ft waves and force 5 gusting 6 was not so nice for the 7 1/2 stone I weigh! I have had a life long obsession with general boating (mainly sailing) and I own 1 laser, and 1 skol moth mk1 as you can see in my signature.
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Where do you sail, Max?
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi,

here I am. Commodore of what is probably the smallest and also one of the most tidal sailing clubs in the country - Shirehampton SC in Bristol. Married to Angela

I have a fondness for those design dead ends, aberrations and sometimes crackpot ideas that form the basis of the stranger end of the lost classes. I also like to pick up strange boats on eBay and work out how to make them work.

Current boats:
- Megabyte with M2 rig for everyday.
- Hit 14
- Beachcomber with Lateen rig
- Wayfarer
- Laser Funboat (Ange)
- Concept 302 (Ange)

Previously:
- Harrier
- Man o'War
- Pisces
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Hi

John Andrews, Teacher, RYA Senior Instructor, Husband to Jane, Father of 4. Member at Whitefriars Sailing Club (for 30 years!). Taught sailing at many places.

We all sail - some more than others. I've been sailing since I was 11, my children all started as soon as they could sit up and fit inside the smallest available life jacket. Possibly the main attraction of cvrda is that we can all sail at cvrda events - not really going to happen at any SMOD regattas. But also I love sailing wooden boats - carbon fibre before its burnt.

My main sailing buzz is watching people I have taught sail when they roll over me just before the finish line in pursuit races. (If its much earlier than that its just rude....).

We have a bit of a fleet (in my sig) so that we can all sail together or in single handers as the mood takes us, and I've previously been owned by a raft of types: Mirror 43069 built with my Father and still with one of my sisters, Enterprise, OK, 470, Osprey, Phantom (now owned by Nessa) Lark, Proctor IXb Merlin, Fireball, Pegasus, International Canoe.

Boat I've most wanted to sail other than the International Canoe (which I wish now I kept) is the original Supercali...Docious (reading about it in Pattison's book is what got me into sailing in the first place) and most wanted to own.. maybe a Plywood Shearwater or a C class cat but I'd have to sail somewhere else then and that's not likely to happen any time soon.
Last edited by jpa_wfsc on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.