Introductions

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Nessa

Re: Introductions

Post by Nessa »

ooh excellent, and what a pedigree. I fel the need to be asking for a moth open here at Hunts - that wouldn't be too far for you Simon. Welcome to the forum!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Read your resume with interest Simon. You seemed to have owned or sailed several designs which mirror my own 'progress' through the sport.

Looked at your album too. Did'nt you have the tri up on the 'bay a while ago? I was interested in it but finances and health issues at the time meant that I had to take a more 'measured' attitude to boat acquisition. you also had a photo of that mad 30sq 'Rumbleseat' which was featured in Classic Boat years ago. I took a look at her in SF when I was there some time ago. Still looks mad.

Welcome to the forum.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

Obscured by clouds wrote:Read your resume with interest Simon. You seemed to have owned or sailed several designs which mirror my own 'progress' through the sport.

Looked at your album too. Did'nt you have the tri up on the 'bay a while ago? I was interested in it but finances and health issues at the time meant that I had to take a more 'measured' attitude to boat acquisition. you also had a photo of that mad 30sq 'Rumbleseat' which was featured in Classic Boat years ago. I took a look at her in SF when I was there some time ago. Still looks mad.

Welcome to the forum.
That was my tri on ebay- It actually pains me to say that after putting so much time and effort- not to mention money- into her rebuild, I didn't actually like the end result very much. She sailed really well, tacked nicely and went upwind like a rocket, multihulls are often criticised for not being the best upwind. But I found a big-ish multihull just too cumbersome in day-to-day use, difficult to moor, difficult to handle under power. And by the time you take into account sailing it relatively conservatively when on an open sea passage to keep it the right way up, it wasn't really any faster in the real world than a good, well sailed monohull.

'Rumbleseat' is one of my all-time favourite boats! The decaying 30sqM which there are photos of in my album is her sistership (Abeking and Rasmussen built two from the same plans in 1929) which I acquired with the intention of building a 'Rumbleseat II'- but life has got in the way, and shortly I am going to have to start paying for the barn she is stored in, so need to find a suitable custodian to save her from the bonfire... Anyway, I realise I'm rambling off-topic, so I'll keep it short!
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Gentleman Jim' Moth GBR3936
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
And a big shed to keep them in...
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Yes, welcome.

I've looked for the sail number of your Moth K3655 in old yearbooks and entry lists from the 1970s and '80s when I was sailing them, and also in a couple of record lists that people in the class association started before they became so cool that history doesn't matter, and can't find any mention of it - if you have a photo, I might be able to ID the design.

However there were some one-offs that rarely or never left their home club, such as Nessa's 'Mystery Moth', so there's no certainty.

Cheers
Paul M
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

Thanks Paul- I do have a number of old photos of K3655, I will try to remember to scan some in when I am at work- I'll keep you posted!

Simon.
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Gentleman Jim' Moth GBR3936
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
And a big shed to keep them in...
mrabody

Post by mrabody »

Well, I guess I should introduce myself.

I'm newly arrived on the classic dinghy scene. After many years of little or no sailing, I've gone and purchased a bit of a shed of a Merlin Rocket off eBay. It's going to need some new planks and also redecking. I've approached the Boatyard at Beer about doing the planks as I'm not too confident that I could do that job myself to a good standard. I am planning on tackling the re-decking and general finishing of the boat myself though.

No doubt I'll be asking plenty of questions in the coming months about tools, materials, and techniques. I look forward to getting to know y'all.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

photos....photos....photos....

you never know, with help, you may be able to do it yourself.

but the cost of extensive work by a professional boat-builder will very quickly be more than the potential value of the boat.

oh....and welcome to the CVRDA.

it is good to have another MR with us.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ed wrote:photos....photos....photos....

you never know, with help, you may be able to do it yourself.

but the cost of extensive work by a professional boat-builder will very quickly be more than the potential value of the boat

cheers

eib
I would disagree a bit with this Ed.

I had a professional job done on my Firefly because after working out the time involved I reckoned I could do that many extra hours in work and earn more than the cost in boatyard hours. I lacked the experience and equipment for much of the structural work, and I felt if I did the jobs myself I might do more harm than good. However, if I didn't get on with the job I would lose the window of opportunity to restore a boat that meant a lot to me.

The boatyard used the job as part of their web portfolio. here:-

http://www.hainesboatyard.com/firefly.html

In the event it wasn't such a great idea because the boatyard management changed and introduced more expensive charging arrangements. The final bill was eyewatering, and caused more harm than good domestically, leading to an embargo on all boating finance from the treasury, and a much stricter checking process on my own spending pattern!! :oops: :cry:

However, what was clear was that by far the cheapest part of the final bill was the shipwright work.

The big thing is Hours. The labour skills are a small item when put against boatyard time at @ £40 - £60 per hour, especially if a large proportion of those hours are spent simply scraping paint, and sanding between coats. That's a complete waste when considering that "boatyard hours" are paying for all sorts of equipment you don't need such as Mooring maintenance, heavy lifting gear, Diesel engine expertise, staff etc.

A skilled and well equipped shipwright can do most dinghy repairs in one or two days and an independent one will do it in their own workshop and so boatyard charges are avoided.

So if you are still inclined to leave the woodwork to an expert, my advise would be to present your naked, stripped out and prepared hull to the shipwright, and take it back to make good any paintwork yourself after the job. Your builder will be only to pleased not to have to do the tedious time consuming stuff.
Michael Brigg
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

Having benefited from some good advice on the forum over the years and made the occasional post, including a for sale advert today, I thought perhaps I should introduce myself.

I am Robert and currently based in the Welsh borders near Builth Wells. I learnt to sail about 100 years ago in a Heron on Frensham pond and since then have been lucky enough to enjoy a pretty varied sailing life. Dinghy crewing around Bosham and Dell Quay in my formative years in the 60’s then cruising initially to the Channel Islands, Holland and Baltic and ultimately across the Atlantic for a 5 year stint in the West Indies where I raced Lasers, Hobie 16s and 470s (height of my dinghy sailing CV is vice commodore of the Grand Cayman Yacht Club – not as grand as it sounds!). Moved to Jersey in the 1980’s and sailed various dinghies including a Mirror and Wayfarer with my children before going back to cruising. A career change to forestry 10 years ago took me to the Welsh borders where I am now an (inactive) member of Llangorse Sailing Club. I sailed a Flying Fifteen for a while but never really took to inland sailing. I now have a couple of 14’s (a 37 Uffa Fox and a 57 Fairey) which I enjoy working on at home but alas because of a back injury and forthcoming move have now decided to pass on (see for sale section).

Being something of a wood fanatic with a masters in wood science my main (somewhat academic) interest is in the design and construction of wooden boats whether the classics or indeed revivals using modern techniques. I came across the CVRDA site when looking for some advice on the history of my 14’s and was impressed by the depth of knowledge available. Whilst I understand the main aim is rightly to restore the boats for sailing I hope there will always be room for aged armchair followers!
Pat

Post by Pat »

Hi Rob,
I hope you'll come along and do some armchair following from the clubhouse at the Clywedog Nationals just up the road from you!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Being up to my usual standard I have only just noticed this thread so I thought I had better stick my spoke in.
Sam Mason (Christened Peter) I first sailed in Enterprises in 1958 then crewed Graduates, Entererprises, Fireballs and Albacores until I could afford a boat of my own . I took my first Enterprise part exchange against an Austin 1100 in 1975 and subsequently have had 14 Enterprises 12 Albacores 1 Graduate 1 Mirror 2 Miracles 1 Streaker 1 Solo and a laser for the kids. I have been a part time boat builder for most of the time which is why I have had so many boats. I have great difficulty in walking past a "Stray" without wanting to bring it home. I was also the club measurer for years in the days we had boats measured . I have dipped in and out of CVRDA for a while but am now so wholeheartedly fed up with plastic fantastic flying saucers that I fully intend throwing my hat into the CVRDA ring with a bit more purpose. I currently have 2 Albacores and a Solo I keep banging my head on (its hanging up in the workshop) and sail at Hykeham near Lincoln and Overy Staithe , a haven for sensible boats, on the Norfolk coast
I hope to put faces to names as the season progresses
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

A very hearty welcome.

Look forwards to seeing you on the water at some stage :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it