Pati Catalan?

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Max McCarthy

Pati Catalan?

Post by Max McCarthy »

Whilst on YouTube, I ended up watching a film about patient catalans, in Spanish, so I couldn't tell what it said, anyway, I found these interesting as I can't seem to find a rudder somewhere on it, so was wondering if it was steered the same way as ice yachts in Canada? Turned by the position of the sail.
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
roger

Re: Pati Catalan?

Post by roger »

yes Max steering is by moving body weight and sail trim. They look great fun
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
RonnyDG

Post by RonnyDG »

There is a club a few kilometers from my door that exclusively sails the Patin a Vela: The Nosepasa club (http://www.patin.be/patin.php North Sea Patin Sailing Association).
The boat has developed from a rowing platform (to accompany swimmers) in the beginning of last century into a racing catamaran. The absence of a rudder originates from the time it was a rowing device.

-- That is what I read and have been told, yet at a certain moment in time they decided to put a sail on it and I cannot help wondering why they didn't care to install something to steer it as well --

Anyway as Roger says correctly: "steering is by moving body weight and sail trim".
I have seen them race a couple of times and would like to add that moving body weight is not about sliding your behind 30cm forward or aft like we are used to in dingies, but crawling and walking all over the hulls much like a windsurfer does (only the Patin a Vela is 5+ meters long). Same goes for sail trim adjustment, if they pull the string the entire rig inclines to a new angle.

All together Patins are a feast to the eye on the beach and a jaw dropping sight to see racing or sailing.
A bit to exclusive and physical for me to be part of their scene I think, however if I had discovered them say 25 years ago I would certainly have done my best to join them.
Greetings,
Ronny
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Thanks, I was just interested, as I have sailed some boats, turning in that fashion, although it just takes a very long time, so I was wandering about how they were sailed.
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

... and many videos of these odd boats on youtube - just search for Patin