Children in need, the Ferrari challenge.

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Michael Brigg

Children in need, the Ferrari challenge.

Post by Michael Brigg »

Listening to Chris Evans, auctioning his Ferrari's to petrol heads all keen for a ride, it occurred to me that we have, in our own sort of mind warp, an opportunity for a similar event. (If only we all had £50k) but nevertheless, for the cost of our widow's groat, there could be alot of fun to be had.

The idea would be this...

You bid to drive one of a selection of desirable craft "donated" by assotiation members, at an event in the summer at a suitable venue. This needs to be discussed but somewhere with suitable opportunity for stop-offs at hostelries or other, accessible from the water.

A selection of boats you have always wished to try out/sail/race. The owners on stand by perhaps to take participants on a "fast lap" around a course. A rally to a suitable lunch area, and a tea. A dinner perhaps in the evening to compare notes on the merits and the more canine attributes of our craft.

Many photos, much fun, and perhaps a little publicity.

There are many pubs by the water's edge in Chichester Harbour. A good beach for a BBQ, and plenty of publically accesible hards, or clubs that might accept a visitor or two. Hayling Island, Bosham or my club in Itchenor come to mind.

Roadford, Plymouth Harbour, Rutland or wherever also come to mind. Perhaps it could be tried as a part of the national rally. This is just an embryo, and I have none of the logistics worked out at present.

I for one would cerrtainly enjoy an opportunity to try out a Jolly boat, a finn, a Dutchman, a Minisail Sprint, an IC, a Fireball all sorts of pen-ultimate and classic i14's, and a planking Hornet planing in Chichester Harbour has to be experienced at least once. All those Merlins that people wax lyrical about must be worth a try, and a boat with a design prerequisite of the Pegasus must be worth a go. A 12mSharpie would cause a stir and so would a Norfolk punt or a ride in a Thames Rater.

Any interest or would this be impossible?
Michael Brigg
Max McCarthy

Re: Children in need, the Ferrari challenge.

Post by Max McCarthy »

I think it is a great idea, I am certainly very interested, there are lots of boats I would like to try, and I would be happy to let people sail my skol, if they want to, it would also be great for charity.
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

I think that is a great idea.
At Ardleigh Sailing Club we have an annual event we call our all on the water day.
The idea being that we sell advance tickets to members but more specifically for the public (I once got permission to put a flyer in our local fish and chip shop, not realising it clashed with the Towns regatta weekend)-fortunately our dates have'nt clashed since!
We encourage folk to come and have a day getting to have rides around the reservoir, in dinghies and our club's rescue ribs. Talking of ribs there is a barbeque. This follows on from a persuit race of around an hour and a half duration and the start is staggered to acomodate differing classes of craft.
We used to raise money jointly in aid of The The Lifeboats and local Hospice.
I myself missed it this year as to being in hospital.
Last year I was still finding bits for my Merlin, but the year before I sailed in it, the day after I was discharged from hospital, so I was glad to be putting something back.
I know we get new members through this venture, and it is fun for all trying out the various boats members kindly lend out.
Last edited by GAVinT on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

This sounds like a worthwhile idea and a lot of fun.....I love the idea of trying new boats.........gets my vote for further thought :)
Sami.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

We have thought about this.....in fact, many moons ago....we did kind of try it.

But it was at a Roadford Regatta - between races and we didn't really timetable long enough and everyone wanted to get off the water and have a rest.

Yes, it would be good fun to do....but experience suggests a bit harder than you might imagine.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
JimC

Post by JimC »

We do something like this informally at my club... One summer Sunday we have a kids afternoon with all sorts of on the water games and the like. At the same time we also encourage people to have boats - often the more unusual ones - available for anyone who wants a blast round the reservoir.