Insurance

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Pat

Re: Insurance

Post by Pat »

Some of the companies restrict your sailing depending on the cover level so check the detail
I saw one with - level 1 - no racing and some other restrictions, level 2 - sailing and racing at one specific club only (no travelling) and level 3 - the usual racing at any UK club and sailing in any UK waters plus 30 days in europe.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

The insurance I have on Sledgehammer covers every form of racing at UK national events and also applies to 30day trips into Europe. Think they called it gold.

Think I may use the same for both this time as individual still seems cheaper that a combined.

Also the comparrison website seem more expensive that not using them. Need to get the meerkats on the case I think
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Some insurance companies actually will insure absolutely anything!! :shock: :shock:

http://www.accidentclaims.org/
Michael Brigg
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Michael Brigg wrote:Some insurance companies actually will insure absolutely anything!! :shock: :shock:

http://www.accidentclaims.org/
especially for Mr C Eyley
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I'd forgotten to insure the Finn, so I started to trawl around online. best online quote was from GJW direct who wanted £75 off me and craftinsure for £58 ;but with a massive excess]. One quote [dinghy insurance.com] wanted a whopping £280 which is frankly ridiculous on a boat worth £500 [or less]

Since I only race once a year, at the national get together it makes for a very expensive weekend!

I appreciate that these are online prices and probably reflect the carbon crew's ongoing claims-fest, but a premium approaching 50% of a boats value is ludicrous.

I'll do some phoning around tomorrow but unless I get that premium down to around £50 i wont be at Hunts :(

Edited to add: Wow. Just went to this place: http://www.eandl.co.uk/ and entered the same criteria as for everywhere else, and while the yearly insurance is around £120 I can get monthly insurance for less than £12. I wonder what the catch is. I'll have to check.:)
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Try talking to Craftinsure too. I've found them very reasonable on the phone and I thought they seemed very good value, only charging according to the cover you want.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Obscured by clouds wrote:
Edited to add: Wow. Just went to this place: http://www.eandl.co.uk/ and entered the same criteria as for everywhere else, and while the yearly insurance is around £120 I can get monthly insurance for less than £12. I wonder what the catch is. I'll have to check.:)
1 month insurance looks like a perfect arrangement! I shall certainly look into this for boats I use less often!

Bearing in mind that it is the 3rd party and public liability insurance that is the most important bit to have, and yet the least expensive part.

(We mostly do our own repairs dont we? So as long as the public & 3rd party liabilities are properly covered, a weak cover for repairs etc is less critical.)
Michael Brigg
Obscured by clouds

Absolutely Michael.

Third party is essential these days.... but if you are racing, does that invalidate the 3rd party insurance?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Obscured by clouds wrote:Absolutely Michael.

Third party is essential these days.... but if you are racing, does that invalidate the 3rd party insurance?
Now that is what is in the smallprint.

Usually I have understood/assumed an automatic 1/3 excess for damage arising during a race, but clearly this cannot apply for most of us with regard to 3rd party Public liability, ("Up to £5million" in most policies.)

Paying for a port/starboard crunch is one thing , shouldn't usually exceed 1-2K maximum in most of our kind of racing, but it is the unexpected tragedy that is the potential beartrap. Slicing someone's finger off with a centreplate, or worst, a near miss drowning with long term brain damage.

This is where as you note, a careful read of the small print is essential! Insurance should be taken out any time we are on the water, and not just for racing.

I have just had a read through my Noble Marine cover and it give "New for old" "Full" racing Cover, Mast spars and sails damaged beyond repair. Total insured value of the boat trolley, trailer is declared as 2.5K and the premium is £81.00 with a £50 excess. Remember that an excess is often paid over and above any "Standard policy excesses," but this is not bad really.

However it doesn't include "Legal Cover" for which there is an additional premium of £10-20, or more depending on how litigious you might want to become!

I think this is worth it for basic cover. Some sailors have Corporate cover, and that includes big legal cover. They can be very difficult to pin down and aren't always the most skilled operators. A large motoryaght might "brush against" your craft without even noticing it but your hull might have been squished beyond repair. A claim can be rebuffed with a surly Legal denial and then what do you do? The legal argument can prolong itself for literally years during which time your boat remains unusable.

A few quid allows you to sail while the lawyers do whatever lawyers do. I am not standing up for lawyers hear believe me, but I just wouldn't want to get shafted!
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Big thumbs up for Noble from me. Always very helpful and the two times I have claimed in 10 years no quibble new for old. Even for the rotten old ply centreboard which snapped when I jumped on it a bit enthusiastically when capsized in Lymington river with a ferry bearing down on us. :(
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

I have only ever claimed for one boat and that was through Noble.
I took pictures of my badly damaged Solo, sent them online with my accident form(also on line)they offered me a fair settlement, including my keeping the salvage, and settled up within 5 days!-I have only ever claimed for a motorbike and car against other's insurance, however when I mentioned about towing, to the person said if I had had a tow bar fitted that counted as a modification, however they did the tow insurance for for £15 Inclusive of that mod.
Also when I used to tow a caravan(and occassionally competition cars)you used to have to have seperate insurance, otherwise if your car was fully comp it would be reduced to third party and if only third party your trailer, caravan, horsey box, whatever was not insured.
Not a lot of people know that, a late friend used to tow the Waltham Abbey Carnival Queen and Princes's float behind his Classic American car, as well as the X Mas Santa one, until he checked and found the float wasnt insured, so used the Garage he worked for's tow truck instead, for the latter, not quite the same.
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Another vote for Noble - I've used them both commercially and personally for about 35 years and they are superb if you have a problem.

Jonathan, son of founder Richard, understands dinghies and small yachts and so you get to talk to someone who doesn't think that a Finn is an ingredient for soup.

They may not be the cheapest - I've been so happy I've not contemplated comparing, but in terms of knowledge, satisfaction and response time to resolve the few issues I've had they are outright value for money - to me more important than plain price.
Obscured by clouds

I would agree that if I were to be undertaking a full season of racing then I would certainly consider Noble [they insured my Soling very reasonably some 10 years ago] but for just the month left that I'd be sailing the Finn, before it went into the shed for some much needed tlc, I wanted something that would just give me racing cover for that short period. This fitted the bill nicely and I would recommend it to anyone who was in the same position, or as Michael stated above, for a boat that might only come out to play once or twice in a season.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Noble gave me five days of cover for the ToY and the Peril, just enough for the Rally. Worth asking if that is what you need. Plus of course you can cancel and get a pro rata refund, or transfer cover to another boat.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JB9

Post by JB9 »

It seems to be very boat specific. Craftinsure have been very good but were quite expensive for a Hornet for which Bishop Skinner were very reasonable.
Harrier 25
505 7163