My Bucket list! (for fun)

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
solentgal

My Bucket list! (for fun)

Post by solentgal »

Maybe this ought to be under "Boat chat" really......but inspired by the post re the Zenith for sale I got to thinking of all the boats I haven't sailed, but would like to ....for whatever reason! So I drew up a bucket list....tried to get it down to a top 10.... ended up with a top 13.... but I'm not superstitious!
Here is mine then.... eclectic, I know, and some you think may be missing, but then I have sailed some of the ones that could appear on another sailor's list, and this (for me) is more about those things we used to dream of when young......don't take it too seriously.....just for fun :)
My top 13 (in no particular order).....yes, I know 13?? My idea, my rules, :lol:

1. Foil. (it looked so BIG in the ads when I was little!)
2. Nymph. (A proper boat .....when you're 10-ish)
3. Mermaid 11. (sent off for brochure at least twice!)
4. Flying Fish. (The test report still sounds appealing!)
5. Top Ten. (knew someone that had one....never got to sail it,...curses!)
6. Lazy E. (Saw lovely scruffy one in Chi Harbour and was taken with the rarety of it.....and that was in the early 70's!!)
7. Toy. (Yes, I know I owned one, but never sailed it stupidly!)
8. Cherub. (60's vintage....soooo cool)
9. Zenith.....(Just a lovely looking dinghy)
10. Cavalier...(had pics in 1967 YW yearbook....I want, I want, I want)
11. I.C. (just never got around to it :()
12. Lucky Sixpence... (Never seen one to my knowledge, but it is my "Moth" era....very curious to see/try!)
13. Shelley.....(think I owned one once....part of a "deal" that I did and never sailed...stupid, stupid girl!!!!)

OK.... let's be having some confessions then! :)
Sami.
Rupert

Re: My Bucket list! (for fun)

Post by Rupert »

Most of the below would simply be a matter of getting my finger out. Some, I fear, could never happen...

1) An International 12 (Just like the look)
2) An A Rater (sailed on the same water many times)
3) A 1960's C class cat. In original form. Sadly, Lady Helmsman is in the museum in Falmouth and Emma Hamilton has been altered a lot.
4) A Contender. This would be really easy to arrange - not sure why I've not done it! Cowardice, maybe...
5) A Fairey Finn

More anon!
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I can arrange one of those for you Rupert!

Over the years I've managed to sail most of my wishes, which is why I bought a second Finn last year, I just decided anything else wasn't as much fun! But, over the years I've sailed several cats (Swift, Shearwater, Condor and A Class), spent many years in singlehanders (Lasers and Finns mainly but also a Contender). I've also sailed an OK several times, a Blaze and a TOY. I've also owned several Larks and Enterprises. I've even sailed an 18' skiff.

What else would I like to sail, a Flying Dutchman and I wouldn't mind buying a Condor, that's about it I think.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
JimC

Post by JimC »

I've got the vintage Cherub and the IC Sami, but its going to be a long time before the Cherub gets back on the water... The IC is almost always available if you're near Hampton Court at a weekend...

Actually that applies to almost anyone: my current IC is pretty solid so anyone who fancies a go in one and wants to turn up at Island Barn reservoir is welcome... I only suggest that prospective pilots have some experience of steer for balance techniques, and nothing over middle of F4 tops.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Gosh, this worried me....

not so much that there was too many, but at first thought, I was really struggling to find boats that I still held a yearning to want to helm.

Then, I am afraid that it occured to me that this was because I was thinking of classic boats and most of the boats I wanted to still sail, were to be honest, modern and current racing classes, rather than classic classes.

This bumps into one of the conundrums for me with sailing and collecting classic dinghies. Do I love em, because they are old, or despite them being old. Someone once asked my father why he collected Classic Ferraris: he answered simply: "Because I can't afford new ones!". This is not the whole truth for me, but it holds a niggling element of truth that comes to the fore when I consider a bucket list.

But anyway, the list for me would include:

Lots of catamarans; I have never helmed a cat and would like the challenge of learning a new type of boat.

so:
  • A modern A-class cat
  • A modern foiling C-class cat
  • A Unicorn
  • A Tornado
Monohulls:
  • A new rules IC
  • A new Merlin Rocket, but only with a decent crew
  • A K1 - just love the look and concept and would love to try it out.
Classics: Afraid the list is short, but would include:
  • Brynhild - Uffa Fox's two man cruising canoe (most probably for a cruise with Prof Neil, a box of eggs, two packets of crisps and a bottle of good champagne
  • A Classic 30Sqm or Skerry Cruiser
  • John Claridge's Tiger Moth

Any thoughts? any offers? :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

On the "used to own and never sailed" front for me is the Silhouette, a project from the early 90's that hit the buffers after we had to move. Wouldlike to sail one, finally.

Like Ed, there are modern boats I'd like to sail, but unlike Ed, they are mainly stable ones. We overlap on the K1 - the reason I've not tried one is because I might like it a lot, but can't afford to buy one...

A nice modern OK also comes on my list, as does Dan Holman's Punk one off. Never got the chance at the Y&Y forum meeting last year - too long a queue.

Oh, and that Hobie canoe Trimaran Mirage thingy - that looks fun, but I want to sail it somewhere warm!
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

crew a foiling cat, would pay good money for this, would not even have to be a race just tatting round the bay would do.
a Phantom, saw one at Greensforge sc a couple of weeks ago, but probably to light for one.
sail on the sea.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I can recommend sailing an FD. I would like to sail a National 18, International 12, a classic i14, a 12sq Metre Sharpie and a Finn.

Am not really fussed about sailing a cat, foiling or otherwise, though the AC45 was a lot of fun for the RTI. But, an A Class perhaps. I would like a go on a TP52 if anybody has one?
Harrier 25
505 7163
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Oh, where to start.

Scratched a lot of itches over the years - Formula 40, J class, IOR from 1/4 ton to obscene, Nautor's finest, then into dingies FF, ToY, IC, Finns, etc. Difficult to define a bucket list as I tend to think that I'd like a go on that then either manage to wangle a ride or buy one. Hence the obscurities such as the Spearhead, Illusion and Tideway (not that the Tideway is obscure but I saw one, wanted one and bought one).

Getting older means common sense is prevailing - I'm loving the Megabyte, wish I'd found one years ago - saves dragging a heavy Finn around :) Though if I won the lottery then a D-One would be on order

Only really bought Rannoch, the Uffa Fox IC because Zenith the 'B' Class came as a freebie, so suppose Zenith is on the short list. As is a drunken cruise on Brynhild with Ed.

There is one boat that's always fascinated me since seeing a picture in Tony Harrison's Source Book of Dinghies. It's on page 88. ;)
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes... I suppose in reality I would jump into most boats and have a go out of curiosity/obsession......multihulls look fun, always wanted a go on a Unicorn after seeing one being built when I was young.....had to settle for use of a Hawke surfcat tho....but that was amazing fun :)

Jim.....thanks for the IC offer......you just never know,....one day :)
Sami.
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

When dinghies get too much a Strider Club would be my top option. A bit of speed, a bit of comfort and a level deck to drink beer on.

If money were no object and I wanted to go racing then it would be back into Dragons, the boat I learnt to sail on.

I once had a Unicorn. lovely to sail but a bit fragile for the sea. Tending to be sailing s/h these days so I'd like a go at sailing a de-tuned Transat 6m.

To be fair though.... my real list topper would have to be the N18 conversion I have been working on in the shed for the last 4 years. Getting that on the water is at the top any *to-do* list I have at the moment!
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Rupert, come to Grafham in the summer, we have two of those hobie thingies there.

Probably just an asymmetric canoe on my list. I have scratched most of my fast boat itches. Most others now just look too uncomforatble for my bad back/knee/wrist.

Hope to meet up with Max sometime to have a go in his AC, so life will then be complete.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes..... I thought I was a prolific buyer/sailor/seller/obsessive/want-it-and-want-it-now boat owner.......but somehow I'm not surprised your bucket list is so short Nessa :)

Tony......you just reminded me by mentioning your N18.........when I was pre-purchase researching our Nimrod, I came across a mention that it the hull design was based on a N18..... I have no idea if this is true, but would be interested to know.
Obscured by clouds wrote: the N18 conversion I have been working on in the shed
what is the conversion to? cabin? gentle day-sailer?
Sami.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looking at pics of the Nimrod, it looks fun, but I can't see a N18 lurking underneath.
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

solentgal wrote:Y
Tony......you just reminded me by mentioning your N18.........when I was pre-purchase researching our Nimrod, I came across a mention that it the hull design was based on a N18..... I have no idea if this is true, but would be interested to know.
Obscured by clouds wrote: the N18 conversion I have been working on in the shed
what is the conversion to? cabin? gentle day-sailer?[/quote

an unstayed hollow wooden mast flying a large balanced lugsail on carbon spars with a mizzen balance sail.

something like this:

Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]