My Footy.

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Max McCarthy

My Footy.

Post by Max McCarthy »

Dear All,

As you may know, I had plans to build a footy, to my own design. Since then, there have been a few fluctuations with the amount of work I have been doing on the model racing yacht, but so far, I have started off the rudder, built the hull, and this is now drying (with epoxy filler, to fill in any imperfections) as we speak...although, the actual hull started being built around 3/4 of a year ago, I am finally getting on with it.

So I thought I would share this here, with my design, and images.

The hull compared to the very first cardboard cut out, to compare how the shape changed from start the end of the designing process. The hull was constructed from blue styrofoam, and sanded to shape, after being cut to a close match. This was the easy bit!

The hull floating, in my sink. Surprisingly it did float upright without any ballast!

To show the construction phases, I had a 12"x12"x6" block, and this can make three hulls, I started making a second, although, I never got any further with this one. And a block to the side, to compare...

The rudder drying, with selotape reinforcements to keep its shape, and the 1/32" thick piece of plywood it was made from.

The boat, having been fibreglassed and sanded, and the (forgotten the technical name!) keel daggerboard, type thing....

The hull having been painted, unfortunately, the paint started eating away at the foam, where it wasn't fibreglassed, however, this is not structural *luckily*.

The boat, now dryed, with imperfections. Weight - 154g completely fibreglassed.

First water testing, discovered the wave piercing bow works quite well (with velocity) however I am unsure of how well it will work when sailing!

The boat, with epoxy filler, for imperfections on the sides, now weights around 190g, as I mixed 40g of the stuff, but did not quite use all of it...

The boat, now drying, as we speak.

So, what do you think? Anything you might change?

Also, does anybody know where it is possible to either get custom cut model yacht sails, or sailcloth, so I could have a go experimenting myself?

On a side note, I have been also getting on with building the Farr 3.7, although, sadly, I haven't had time to update the blog recently. But I do have plans to do this as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Max

EDIT: Sorry about using up space bandwidth space with the photos, if any of the moderators or the admins want me to delete them, then I will do so. I don't want to take up all the space so nobody else can post photos....
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
roger

Re: My Footy.

Post by roger »

Well done Max,

keep us up dated and when you have finished the 3.7 can I have a swim please.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

no....no....you keep posting the images....

good to see them

you are doing much better than me with your building. My IOM, re-build is still stuck, but soon....really soon... (promise Alan).

If you haven't already got a name for this design....can I propose one: 'Axe'

Do you have a link to the Farr 3.7 blogg? would love to see that also.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Hi Ed and Roger,

Many thanks, I have enjoyed the whole process (so far!) thoroughly, and I am glad you like it.

I have thought of a name, but it isn't very imaginative (I thought of M1, although, now I come to think of it, it does sound a lot like a motorway!) and I like the name "Axe" so, I might well use that....

Ed, here is the link: http://buildinga3-7.blogspot.co.uk/

And Roger, sure you can have a sail, (and, if you still want it, a sail of the AC, which I promised you all those months ago!). The really weird thing is that it will be at the same club as one of the only other Farr 3.7's in the country, when she is finished, with Dave's one at Draycote too..

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Pat

Post by Pat »

Max you can get sailcloth from Point North by mail order (should be on links page on main site)
Or if it's just a little bit, try the sailmakers such as P & B for offcuts.
Enjoy.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Great, thanks Pat!

I shall look into it....

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Re: Sails for footies

They sail fine on flat sails, nothing special. People used to make them out of carrier bags, but these days most model sails are made from drafting film.

This is easy enough to get hold of, either from ebay or through a model-boat supplier.

Those same model-boat suppliers will mostly make you a set of sails if you want it, but as you are making your own boat....and the sails are pretty simple, why not experiment.

For sails, or materials try:

www.housemartinsails.co.uk
www.sailsetc.com
www.nylet.com
http://www.pjsails.co.uk/

of course you can source your own carrier bags :-)

Lots of good stuff here: http://www.sailfootyuk.com/

They have really changed in last few years and are now much more technical than the 'fun' boat they used to be....maybe good? maybe not so good?

For sail materials for the Farr 3.7, which is a bit bigger project, but not impossible....

I would go to http://www.kayospruce.com/

Good luck
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ed wrote:
If you haven't already got a name for this design....can I propose one: 'Axe'

cheers

eib
http://www.hammersource.com/images/products/bs2xh.jpg

More like a Blacksmiths Hammer I thought.
Michael Brigg
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Back in about 1972 there was a National 12 that had no rocker and a very deep, fine bow, apparently it went well inland on flat water but it went through the waves rather than over them and was very wet and slow on the sea as far as I can remember.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
stuw

Post by stuw »

Was that PTO, designed by a certain Jo Richards. He designed the very opposite in 1979 that went like stink in a force 4 or above but stuck like crazy in anything less called Street Legal