Old RYA PY Lists

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
JimC

Old RYA PY Lists

Post by JimC »

I'm on the hunt for old (pre 2003) official RYA PY lists. Whilst I've got a fair sized database of old Portsmouth yardstick numbers I've collected over the years its not very complete and the sources are not recorded and dubious - there are things like class estimates and so on in there so they aren't altogether reliable. I'm going to try and raid the RYAs archives, but I don't yet know how complete they are, so anything any of you have lying about would be most welcome.
Pat

Re: Old RYA PY Lists

Post by Pat »

Burrett lists PYs presumably as at the date of first publication. Whilst not the official list they are a useful guide.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The trouble with all the books, though, is that they don't state where the info came from. Some of the boats will have class supplied stabs in the dark, which is fair enough, but not useful if you don't know. When were Langstone Tables discontinued? It may be possible to get hold of them.
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote:...they don't state where the info came from. Some of the boats will have class supplied stabs in the dark, which is fair enough, but not useful if you don't know...
'xactly so. For what I'm doing I need to know its an actual RYA published number and the year the RYA published it. Means, for example, Yachts and Yachting Racing Classes review isn't that useful a source.
clibb

Post by clibb »

Surely the answer to this is to use the official numbers as published by the compiler, who used to be S. Zillwood Milledge in the 50's. I recall that he published the official numbers for 1959 in October 1958, in the '59 Dinghy Year Book. This covered both Primary and Secondary Portsmouth Standard Yardsticks with, I think, the International Canoe as fastest dinghy, on 83. Not many cats were included, but the Prout Shearwater rated 78.

Nick
JimC

Post by JimC »

clibb wrote:Surely the answer to this is to use the official numbers as published by the compiler
Indeed so, that's why I'm hoping some of you may have copies [grin].
clibb

Post by clibb »

Jim

I've looked out my copy. I have absolutely no idea how to post a copy of it on this forum, but if there are particular boats you want the figure for I'm happy to look it up.

Nick
JimC

Post by JimC »

Having plundered the RYA archives I'm now only after 1980 and older lists, and I'm promised the 58 for 59 list.