Hello.. new member...

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
realnutter

Hello.. new member...

Post by realnutter »

Hi... thought I'd introduce myself..

I'm Matt, 50 ish from Reading...

Was first taken sailing at about the age of 7 in a heron. It was on a big lake in NSW, Australia, and very windy... I hated it!

Fast forward 4 years, and I wound up at Reading School, which despite being a state school had a sailing club. I joined, and was taught to sail in a Leader (composite) and a Kestrel.. Having been judged competent I was let loose in the fleet of Express dinghies.. eventually becoming House Captain of sailing, and School Bosun... As bosun, I built the 2 school 420s into one very good one, and 1 pile of ordure... A school mate and I raced the good one on Sundays, until a shroud pulled out, and put a nice 90° bend in the mast...

We sailed against other schools, both home and away.... home was embarrassing because the visitors always derided our fleet.. Away was fun because we got to sail Larks, Laser 2s etc.

After the death of the school 420 I started using my own boats on Sundays, first, the family Mirror, and then in my own OK, an Int Moth and eventually a Laser.

And then I went to University, and basically stopped sailing, apart from a brief flirtation with a Miracle while my family was growing up..

In June this year, a Minisail popped up in the local Freecycle group, and I pulled it together enough to make it to the Nationals in July...

Two more were acquired, and I've nearly built one good one out of the various parts...

I'll be joining a local club (Reading SC at Sonning) soon, and hope to make a few CVRDA opens too....
Matt

Int Moth K2992
Rupert

Re: Hello.. new member...

Post by Rupert »

Matt, it was great to meet you at the Nationals - really glad you have found a club to join, we will have to have a Minisail meeting there once you are settled in! Any help you need getting the Minisail up to speed, just shout - you can come and take the trophy off me at next year's Champs!
Rupert
TimD

Re: Hello.. new member...

Post by TimD »

Hi Matt, we've already 'met' over on the Minisail forum.
Been following your refit of the Sprint with great interest as mine should be with me soon.
Hopefully meet you for real in the near future.