Calling Firefly Experts

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Pat

Calling Firefly Experts

Post by Pat » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:37 pm

We're trying to date and identify this Firefly.
The number engraved in the hog is 265 as shown in the pictures. It appears original as the number is centered correctly.
The boat has definitely been re-decked at some point and the side decks are rather solid laminated strips of wood.
Boom is a gold Proctor and the mast is a rather straight heavy inflexible gold one, both are old but may not be original.

Any ideas as to age and history and maybe even a name?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pj2121/al ... 6319528807
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)

Rupert

Re: Calling Firefly Experts

Post by Rupert » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:59 pm

If 265, she has been converted to Mark 2 decks, possibly at the same time as the gold Proctor rotating mast and gold boom replaced the original Reynolds boom.

265 not in my 1988 records, so best bet would be to contact Peter Lanham at boatregister@fireflyclass.co.uk
Rupert

Michael4

Post by Michael4 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:04 am

F265 is listed as part of a batch exported to Italy in November '47.

I suppose it could have come home.

See this and yes, contact Peter.

https://fireflyclass.co.uk/boat/sail_no_265/
Tideway 206
11+
Something bigger and plastic

Pat

Post by Pat » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks - email sent.

So if it was exported to Italy in 47, it was probably used to practice for the 48 Olympics....
Did the teams bring their own boats - would they have brought it back even just for practice in the competition waters?
Certainly sounds like a good story and it looks as if it has always been a single handed set up with cleats on wooden blocks on the thwart.

Does the rest of the look of the boat - tanks etc. fit the suggested age?

PeterV

Post by PeterV » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Elvstrom says the boats were supplied for the games and that the Danish selection trials were held in 'British 12' National dinghies' because the government wouldn't import any Fireflies for them to practise in.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:02 pm

The insides work for a MK1 Firefly, with the built in tanks and dozens of very tired looking screw heads. The stern bag covers tie in with the MK2 deck look in terms of vintage.
I suspect the number is telling the truth, but for some reason I have a nagging feeling there is something slightly later looking about the hull. May just be the decks creating an illusion, or maybe that the varnish isn't as dark as some of the early boats ended up.
Rupert

JimC

Post by JimC » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:47 am

I think the number alignment could work for 1265. I don't know enough about Fireflies to say whether that's feasible or not.

davidh

Post by davidh » Tue May 01, 2018 8:11 pm

Pat,

The story of the Firefly at the 1948 Games is a real tale of deals done behind the bike sheds and then some almost laughable muddling through. I did all this in 2008 for the 60th Anniversary (which the Firefly Class celebrated in style down at Torquay). It was quite a complex picture in the end that took in not just the Firefly but all the boats and entrants (the Swordfish was scheduled to be competing but...that is another story). I still have a bulging folder full of pictures, details, comments (the yachting media were up in arms at the choice of the Firefly... yet another story) much of which I didn't use but am thinking of dusting off for another airing.

I've also got this in illustrated talk format if anyone wants something Olympic related......

D
David H

Pat

Post by Pat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Update on this - we've already found another digit and confirmed it as F2654 which was stamped very off centre on the hog. It originally had the nice wide side decks and all-in-one deck and side deck of a mark 1 but has been altered to have narrower side decks with heavy wood below.

I cleaned it out today and we looked at the centreplate which is 8mm steel in a 15mm internal width slot and has a slot to go over the bolt and a tube that the bolt goes through.

But what stops the centreplate wobbling about in the case? As I read the rules, you can't add packing like the pieces of plastic paint bucket lid we used on the Larks. So what do the Freddies do or am I reading this wrong?