Does anyone know what this is?????

an area to discuss dinghy developments
AlistairM

Post by AlistairM »

I bought this as a national 12 but there is some debate as to wether or not it might be a tideway, its 12 ft, clinker built and has a gaff rig. What do people think??

Also what is the best stuff to use to fill in small cracks and splits in the wood. One is in the transom and altough has been "filled" previously it looks like it is drying out and crumbling or somethng. The other is in the centreboard casing no wider than a finger nail but enough to let a steady flow through.

Thanks

Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I don't have much of an idea but I am pretty jealous!! I did wonder if it was a RNSA?
AlistairM

Post by AlistairM »

Whats the best thing to use to fill in the cracks. I dont really like the idea of epoxy, but I dont know of any ohter stuff.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

can you give us an accurate length and beam.

also is there any sail emblem?

1st rather quick look would suggest not at 12....but don't think it is a Tideway either....maybe a Twinkle 12?

anyway, not too sure, will have a better look later.

cheers

as far as filling the gaps goes.....if they are under 2mm (more if not been in water for long time) they will easily close up after boat has taken up.

How long have you 'sunk' her for?

The first time I sunk Iska after 10 years out of water, I put her in for 48hrs, didn't do much, so ended up putting her in for a solid week, but came out nice and tight.

Anyway don't even think about putting anything in gaps until you are quite sure she has taken up as far as she is going to.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

I don't know that I would rule out a Nat 12 yet. Looking through Steavenson's book of the Story of the national 12's there's a picture of Red Duster which is a pre war Wych and Coppock build that has a similar shaped transom. It looks as if your transom has been cut out later though. And the rear slats may not be contempory.
If a N12 then my quess is that someone has converted it to a mini family boat with a gaff rig as that certainly non-12.
It could be an own-design/own-built twelve perhaps pre-war.
Check the inside of the transom for numbers. Before 1953 the rules required the registered class number to be cut into the transom 2" high and within 3" of the top. (post 1953 they are to be on the thwart.
Some other general measurements of the early ones were...
Minimum hull weight 225lbs
length not to exeed 12'
beam ( to outside of skin) minimum 4'6"
depth at mid length not to be less than 1'8"
vertical outside depth of transom minimum 12"

Your first picture does look like some of Jack Holts boats. Numbers would be around the 500 and just post war, but the transom is diferent. If you find a number on the transom I can tell you much more (if it is indeed a twelve)
Might be worth talking to Charles at frensham he knows a lot about 12s
via the tradboat website will find him,

chris

PS clean grit out of lands before you sink her!
AlistairM

Post by AlistairM »

Its 12ft almost exactly but there are no numbers I can find anywhere, in fact it looks completly unmarked.

On the filler subject, there is some in the transom that is coming away (it looks as though it has dried out and started to crumble) so I would need to replace that with something. The one in the centreboard casing is a definite split so will probably need filling with something.

Thanks for the contributions so far.

Alistair
Steve

Post by Steve »

I believe that there were a few boats built to National 12 rules, but equipped with a gaff rig, which were constructed for Cambridge University SC. I'll look up the details this evening....
Steve
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
Steve

Post by Steve »

The boats that I was thinking of were the gaff rigged 'Cambridge University Cruising Club One Design' drawn by Uffa Fox in 1937. Length: 12 foot Beam: 4ft 6ins. Sail area:90 sq ft

Apparently Uffa hoped that one of these would be re-rigged and registered as a National 12 - but there is no record of this happening.

The mast was stepped in a tabernacle so that the boats could be taken under the bridges at Ely. However there is no sign of a tabernacle on Alistair's photos.

<font size="1">source: Dinghy and Small Class Racing by Norman Hinton published 1938.</font id="size1">

Steve
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
AlistairM

Post by AlistairM »

Ok Ok I think I should just resign myself to the fact that I shall probably not know what it is. Doesnt matter really its a wonderfull little boat and will be a labour of love for a long time.

I got lots of plans for it and hopefully I will be able to post some photos as it progresses.

Thanks for the input thus far.

OH btw does anyone know what to fill the cracks with ????
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Are these cracks in the wood or are they the gaps appearing between the planks in the lands?
AlistairM

Post by AlistairM »

There is one in the transom whic the previous stuff is coming out of (looks like its just dried up and is crumbling), and a smaller one in the centreboard casing.. I had a quick chat with a very nice guy from Blakes Paints who said I needed a coloured wood filler and suggested something like Brummer Stoppper single Pack (think thats how its spelt).

My question is do I need specific marine wood filler or can the local B&Q obilge. Its a varnished twelve ft boat that will be launched and retrieved and stored ashore between each trip.

Thanks
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Brummer stopping is a very low tec filler, which you have to apply in layers to any deep hole as it is air dried, rather than having a catalyst. If the cracks are non structural, then it would be fine. Brummer stopping is also available at some DIY places.
Rupert
mikehanson

Post by mikehanson »

Just for the record she's not a Twinkle Twelve
Mike (TT66)
Twinkle 12 (66) - afloat
Albacore (1188) - awaiting restoration & tlc
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

What I have done for rather severe cracks on the planking of Secret Water was to save the mahogany dust from the sanding which inevitably nneds to be done and cut a tiny V shaped groove with a chisel along the crack. Masking tape each side of the crack and I mixed up epoxy and then added the dust and put it into the crack with a spatula and then covered the area with another strip of masking tape (brown parcel tape might be better as Chris Barlow has shown me that tip as the epoxy doesnt stick to it.) When it has set strip off the tape and using a hot wide chisel trim it back to the level of the wood and sand flush. Once varnished you will not notice any slight colour difference.Cracks between planks are a different matter and there are more cures than symptoms!
charlespsmith

Post by charlespsmith »

Looks strongly like a Twinkle Twelve to me but have not counted planks. The transom looks about right and the original rigs were gunter although now replaced by Bermudan. They were built by Wrights of Ipswich in the 50s - early 70s who also built a Twinkle 10 and a similar Family 14.

There is a fleet of them at Burnham Overy Staithe Sailing Club and I would contact Peter Beck there who is endlessly hepful. I have a couple of pictures on my web site at http://www.tradboat.co.uk - just follw the AZ Index.

Please bring the boat to Frensham on 14th July wheteher sailing or not - we would all like to see it!

Cheers
Charles
Charles Smith