MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Another one for Mr Thornhill.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Wow................. a 'classic' in every sense of the word there and a beautiful boat into the bargain. Would love to see her out afloat too.

D
David H
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

There was one on ebay a couple of months back for £300 and it didn't attract a bid and it had all the kit. I thought it was strange that it was not snapped up. It looked in very good condition so was pretty surprised it didn't sell
davidh

Post by davidh »

Garry,

yes, you're right - I saw that one too. Yet, at the same time, there was a Fairey 505 up for auction at the same time that went for £950, despite having little in the way of gear that would be usuable.

I'm not sure if this is all due to the 'e-bay' effect...to the desirability of various classes, is it geographic - clearly buying from sites like e-bay has changed things, mainly for the better but............

For example - last spring I tried to buy several Merlins on E-bay but kept getting out bid - despite being happy to shell out in excess of £700 for a September Girl. Then, Nice Legs goes for just £300. This shows that even within a class there are wide ranges of 'I want'!

Hmmnnnnn....interesting!

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

14s just seem to be the hardest boat to attempt to put a price on.

Especially the vintage boats.

Everything about them screams expensive.

They look gorgeous and must be the most collectable and the most covetable of old boats.

Its not just the vintage 14s, some classic 14s also go for next to nothing. A while ago, there was a late Fairey 14 ex Charles Curry, totally up to sailing condition and again it went for next to nothing.

Yet their prices are rarely that much.

I can never understand it....or why we so rarely get 14s to CVRDA events.

14s are a bit like old merlins in that to have fun, you really do need at least a couple of them, rather than just being the one lone boat.

There is racing for vintage 14s - both at Bourne End (UTSC) and on their classic circuit.

Still.....

I bet you this boat goes for a song.

I just pray it is bought by an individual and not a 'collection'.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
Phelps Scull
nick

Post by nick »

Ed

People are frightened of them, just like Finns, until they try one and see how exhilarating but user-freindly they are. The result, however, is that they are extremely good value, just like Finns were up to a couple of years ago. Also, there isn't the depth of knowledge about '14' designs that there is about Merlins, or even '12's.

Nick
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nick and Ed.

two other thoughts on the '14' subject.

Could it be that (a) the old boats are now so far removed from the monster rigged boats of today that they lack any relevance,. IN the MRs (for example) the older boats do mix it - in the right conditions, with the newer stuff and (B) - just how 'welcoming' are the 'mainstream' 14 crowd. It's 25 years now since I was doing PoW weeks, in those days 'classics' were far from the mind but - even then, it was very much like being in an arms race.

I loved my time in 14s and have a huge affection for them, yet could I go down the classic route with one......... much harder question, but I don't know why!!!!!!!

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

I am so tempted and with this one. Only a couple of hours to go and there are still no bids. Starting bid of over 400 is putting me off and the fact it is about7 hours drive away. It will need a lot of money to get rig, sails etc and could need a good bit of re-ribbing but I have covetted one like this since seeing a couple of Andrew Thornhill's at Baltic. I hope it finds a good home that will restore her to her former glory.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Go on Chris, email him with a £50 bid or less and I will help you load it on to a trailer! Tempting, isn't it. Ask Jamie Campbell if he knows or a spare mast in the Lowestoft shed.

I think there is a later moulded one available locally. There is a notice in my club soemwhere.

With the bidding ending tonight and nothing coming in I wonder if she will be boosting the dying embers in a few minutes.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Help Chris out here!! I am sure I posted the International 14 on the Forum somewhere (the earlier one that is) but I am damned if I can find it. I am certain it was on ebay but the archive doesn't go that far back. However if we could find it here on the CVRDA forum then it might be possible to get in touch with the seller and who knows....... Lois would love it for Christmas!!!!!!!!!
chris

Post by chris »

Or I could ask for it for my christmas present....even craftier? Must be careful, Lois does occassionally read this forum...Whoops.
chris

Post by chris »

ps As you have pointed out Garry it has now appeared on the Int 14 website at offers near 500 yet saying the hull needs 1000 spending on it just to repair it and that's before you get a mast from Collars for another 1000 and new sails at 700-800. Any suggestions how much this is actually worth when fully restored? anyone. I would have thought from 500- 900. which is tragic really. Yet .....
chris

Post by chris »

I've also just noticed the boat advertised next on the list. It's in America built 14 from 1948, has been restored to a very high standard by the look of it Was valued at 25k dollars by a broker 4 years ago and they are asking 15,000 dollars which is five times the asking price of the next one down which is a good modern newish one. I can't believe vintage boats ever doing that here in UK. That would make Iska worth five time a six year old merlin so about 40,000quid - offers invited please!!!???
Any American readers to this forum - are vintage boat prices really that high in the States?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Surely, as ever it is not a case of them being worth a certain amount.....but whether anyone will actually pay that.

But I do suspect that in general, classic boats have a higher perceived value abroad.

take a look at the cost of older wooden sculling boats in the USA:

http://www.rowableclassics.com/

These prices would suggest there was a good business in just buying up old boats here and shipping out to USA.

Oh.....there's a thought.

Does anyone know what happened to the fleet of classic Merlins (and FFs) in Brittany? Does anyone remember the guy coming around and buying boats here in UK....I seem to remember stories of him coming to Bris Corinthian and buying half the old merlins in fleet in one go.

Story was they were all going to buyers in France and they were racing together there......but have heard nothing more of this since it happened 7?8? years ago.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
Phelps Scull