Any ideas about this one?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
JohnK

Any ideas about this one?

Post by JohnK »

Anyone recognise this? The owner has been told it's a Finn. Looks like it might be a French double hander to me, with moulded spinnaker bins.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GRP-SAILING-DINGH ... dZViewItem

John (N1662)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Rings huge bells as a Proctor design, A Typhoon, isn't it?
Rupert
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Definitely a Typhoon. I have one (no22) waiting for restoration with the original rig and Davidh says the Proctor family have one. There were rumours of another at a school. I doubt there are many around as I am led to believe they only built about 50. Usual problems with deck to hull join failing after all this time.

Interesting rules with strict OD hull but some latitude in the rig. Good grief we could get a class at this rate! I suppose £30 is alright but there will be a lot to do.

DC
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ah yes, the Typhoon,

We had quite a debate on this just a while back, as I had noted that when Ian Proctor designed it, he used as his starting point the underwater sections of a Proctor IXb merlin. But then, being a thoughtful chap, he worked hard at changing the shape to make for a stable platform to help out the trapezeing crew. (as I recall, the debate was on the need to make hulls more stable when a trapeze was in use).

I fully documented the story of the Typoon in the 'Lost classes' series a while back..... but for a very brief precis, this was supposed to be a pocket rocket that would out perfom the 470/Fireball and Hornet Genre.

David Hunt/Eddie Mays did the Small Craft boat test in zilch wind so the report was inconclusive. Then Fireball ace Peter Bateman sailed it in breeze and declared it a 'wow'! Two builders came on board, Moores of Wroxham and Chippendales. (if you want one - try to get a Chippendale)

All looked good until the following spring when Bateman sailed the boat in the Pennine 'One of a kind' event....and bombed. Too short, toomuch wetter area and not enough sail - and then lumped with a stinging PY number (I guess this makes it the exact opposite to an OK!!). Tim Hockin said it was a cow to sail and went back to his Merlin, Chippendales went bust, the Fireball 'balled' and the 470 headed of to Olympic Glory (Glory? Well that is one word for it I suppose)

And the rest, as they say, is history.

From the classic point of view......well..... get the hull cheap and grab yourself a little bit of Proctor magic for when the wind blows......

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Dave,

or better still...match racing in Typhoons!
who needs the AC?

D
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

What and excellent idea, see you on the start line!

Two boats that colour should certainly be photo friendly!!

D