my new old firefly

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Rupert

Re: my new old firefly

Post by Rupert »

The problem I found with bungee there was that as soon as you put your feet under, the straps went back to a straight line from from mast to thwart, rather than a parallel strap to put feet under.
Having written the last bit, I realized that I actually changed things so that the straps are fixed to the fromt of the case and then come out at right angles on the ropes before turning to come aft. Can't remember why or even when I changed things, (years ago, I expect...) but it seems to work, and the case hasn't dropped out yet.
The original layout of the Firefly just had diamond shaped straps from front of case to back via 1/2 way along the thwart.
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have just bought a copy of Eileen Ramsay's Dinghy Days and lo and behold a nice picture of a flotilla of RNSAs
Attachments
IMG_0131.JPG
(60.15 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
nprice

Post by nprice »

Just to highjack this thread a bit further, does anyone know of an "official" handicap for a single handed Firefly. I have seen the CVRDA listing from 100 to 99 but wondered if anyone had a figure in new money?
Thanks, Nick
Nick
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There is no official one, as not enough returns go back to the RYA to get one. Most clubs seem to knock a bit off, but more to encourage people to look for a crew than on any specific data. On the water, at 11 stone, inland, I'd say I'm quicker on my own until about a force 1.5/2, when I start to be overpowered upwind. Ed is a little larger, and I think feels he is quicker for longer. Oddly, in almost no wind I'd say crewed is quicker, due to better balance and better rolltacks. A dead run is better with a crew, too in any weather.
On the sea, you would need a slower handicap to allow for the generally stronger sea breezes, I'd think, and at a place like Chippenham a much lower one as the cre gets tangled round the 1/2 raised centreboard...
At Whitefriars (80 ish acre lake) I decided a 20 point handicap for any boat with a PN of more than 1000 was a reasonable penalty, and it kind of works, as crews tend to materialize (me jumping out of the Firefly and into the front of an Alb, usually!) as the wind gets too much like hard work singlehanded.
Rupert
nprice

Post by nprice »

Thanks Rupert,
I used 1150 and 20 points would be 1142 so that should be good enough. The boat in question went very well in little wind short tacking against the tide.
Cheers
Nick
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Michael Brigg wrote:'Trina said...
if this old Reynolds is as complicated as you say I ll probably end up chuckin it in the sea
This would be like fitting synchro-mesh to a Morgan!

well maybe not quite such a sin as that but you get the idea. With boats its more a case of saying that if you're on the water you are doing better than the person who isn't (on the water) even if he has got a bigger faster quicker boat (or whatever) than you.

The mast isn't actually that difficult and if there are problems then ask away. Everything most people will tell you was learned from making their own mistakes. We are all experts at confessing to what could have been our own boating equivalent of "You've been framed!"
I am sorry, I know this is a relatively old thread, but I once rigged a sail upside down, I am not sure how, but it happened!
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337