Flying Dutchman

an area to discuss dinghy developments
thunderchild

Flying Dutchman

Post by thunderchild »

Hi guys- new to this forum, but have had a few oldies in my time. I sold my parker 5o5 no.1305 last year to create some space for the FD that i rescued from Queen mary SC.

I have little history about it, I think it may be number 220 judging from the sail that was wedged into the nose.

I dont know when it was built, though I am assuming mid 60's looking at the build.

Could do with a hand setting it up properly if anyone has any good guides for the older ones that would be very useful.

I am single-handing it at the moment with an rs700 tiller extension- very exciting ride!!!

I plan to put her up at Datchet Water SC in the next couple of weeks.

Chris

Some photos to oggle at.

As found

After a clean up

Blakeney run out

Chasing the Dart18

A pic of the old 5o5 for added measure
neil
Site Admin

Re: Flying Dutchman

Post by neil »

Welcome to the Forum. I'd imagine that Graham, our resident FD collector will be along soon to help out.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
roger

Post by roger »

Welcome to the cvrda. I remember seeing that boat in the abandoned boat park at QM a couple of years ago. Glad you rescued her. I am so jealous.

Hopefully you can find some info from Graham if not have you tried the FD fleet they have a wealth of knowledge. Be good to see you at an event sometime.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Welcome,
this looks like a beautiful boat, I think it may be older than its sail no. but you never know, the absense of a chute for a boat of the K2** era is unusual. The only answer is to speak to Tony Lyall as he is the keeper of the records and I am certain will be able to help.
Lets hope we can get you to attend some CVRDA events with her.
A mine of info on layouts and control systems can be found on the International FD site in particular on the USA region X who have their own site with lots of info for earlier boats where there seems to be a major revival going on, in particular with upgrades etc. due to their lack of new boats.
I am just starting the refurb on GBR 365 nee 348 a carbon /kevlar Bob Hoare built for Pat Blake and later used by David Wilkins as IR 8, so if you need any pictures or other help or just a chat PM me.
Graham.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
thunderchild

Post by thunderchild »

I plan to try and get up to as many events as i can. Now i have a decent trailer anyway!!

It is now back home and on my driveway- Gave it a good clean today- Has come up really nicely.

Can anyone post a few pics of theirs so i can get a comparison? Have only ever seen one other FD before- and it was worse than mine!!!

Chris
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Welcome to the Forum. I know nothing of FDs but have just returned from Blakeney. Very nice sailing, lots of clinker boats.

I have just bought an old 505!
Harrier 25
505 7163
thunderchild

Post by thunderchild »

Did you buy your 5o5 in Norfolk? That sailnumber rings a bell!!
JB9

Post by JB9 »

It was based nr Brightlingsea so not too far. When we were last at Blakeney there was a 505 sailing, about a month ago, is it your local club?

So, why sell the 505 and buy a FD?
Harrier 25
505 7163
FDGorilla

Post by FDGorilla »

Brooksey, it may have had two chutes (running and reaching kites) - the hatches are in about the right place and that would be modern technology for that era.

Chris, it'd be worth getting to Rutland for the Midland Championships (25/26 October) if you can - if not to sail, the AGM and a great meal on the Saturday night are excuse enough. Guys there will be able to give you some basic pointers - for example, you have the mast too raked in your photos, the genoa is shot (seriously, not being rude but I've seen better used for awnings - lots of people will have better ones which they're virtually giving away). Your main looks ok. Single wires will be a project if you have a smaller crew - simple (cheap) continuous systems are available, easy to fit and well worth the learning curve to get used to them.

If you have a specific issue you want to chat through I'm also available - PM me and I'll give you my number. There may even be video evidence of my dulcet tones going through some of the basics from the last training weekend. Once-upon-a-time I had a vague idea of how an FD worked.
I may not be very clever but I can lift heavy things

Finn GBR75
thunderchild

Post by thunderchild »

You are right about my genny- The decent one shredded itself on the shrouds when the shackle snapped at the deck in a F5-6.

Would love another genny if someone has one for sale! Mine looks like someone has blown their nose on it!

The main is a fairly decent Hyde- not too abused and still crackly!

Will definitely try and clear the diary for the midlands meet.
Chris
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Sorry to keep pushing you towards Tony Lyall, but if you give him a ring or drop him an email he will give you details of a guy in the Solent area who wishes to clear his roof void of FD sails and I'm sure there will be something there better than you already have. I had the name and number on a scappy piece of paper but.... More importantly I dont think much money was called for.
There are a surprising ammount of spares around for the FD you only need to ask, and as James says above, the Rutland weekend should not be missed, I'm even hoping to take the boat along this year!!!!
Graham.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
FDGorilla

Post by FDGorilla »

Your shroud rollers are way too small - they need to be 30cm to 40cm long and free floating. Plastic cable duct is perfect - can't remember the diameter we used but it's not the thinest. This will help stop the genny ragging itself on the shrouds in breeze and make rolltacks easier in the lighter stuff. There's loads of little things like this that you can do to make life easier - calibrate the board so you can consistantly rake it as you rake the mast to rebalance the boat, etc etc.
If you can get to Rutland I would strongly urge you to do so - most of the guys there will have sailed FD's with your level of technology so will be able to help. The event is usually hosted by David Wilkins who is a silver medalist in the FD so there is quite a bit of knowledge kicking about the dinghy park! Just remember to take a notepad!!!
Welcome to your new obsession - I was actively racing them for 14 years and was still learning loads everytime we went on the water.
James
I may not be very clever but I can lift heavy things

Finn GBR75