Mystery dinghy on ebay

an area to discuss dinghy developments
LASERTOURIST

Re: Mystery dinghy on ebay

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Another interesting feature about this boat is the strange shape of the sides (gunwhales ?)
normally on a singlehander, you would make them as wide as possible (505 Style) to allow maximum hiking leverage (the cockpit has 3 hiking straps, like it was a copy of the toppers cockpit)....

but here the sides are "flattened" just as if maximum beam was a problem and should be kept under certain limits....

Maybe it has been deigned to be cartoppable on modern narrow streamlined car roof bars.
(In Germany trailer speed is limited to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) on motorways , thats'why they currently put TWO lasers atop a Big Mercedes Staion Wagon and travel over 160 Km/h....
They also save ferries fares that way, as i saw lately , as my club in Corsica (St Florent )organised the Laser European Masters 2008....
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

A friend of mine saved the ferry fare years ago on the way to a 505 champs abroad. They put the whole boat and road trailer on the roof for the crossing. The idea being unload and then tow as normal after getting off the ferry. It was on a Triumph 2500 estate. Don't think the back doors opened when they got to the other side!!!!! :lol:
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

After a tire burst I carried two laser plus trailer on he oof of my old Ford 23 M TS coupe, a V6 cylinder, petrol gulping ancestor of the GRANADA, and arrived at the regatta site on time, the general condition of he car made us nt to worry too much about the roof condition (it was lined in vinyl mock black leather anyway)

On anoher occasion I towed two laser 16 on a trailer, plus 9 big 203 modern wideline blue velvet sailboards plus a Hobie cat 16 ,plus my own windsurf and my girlfriend bicycle on theMarseilles Bastia ferry.
The Hobie cat (not dismantled) was upside down on the roof rack, with some of the boards while others ere stacked between the laser 16 or on the sides motorcucle satchels style.

My girlfried's bike was hung under the hobie mast (on the trailer). and the towing vehicle was my trusty (and rusty) Renault estate 21 Savanna diesel (nevada in France) that had clocked some 400 000 km and is still clocking as of now...

That cargo was for my sailing school in Corsica and the return cargo consisted in one caravelle (a single chine plywood sort of Laser 16) from our school's fleet plus 5 laser hulls and two laser pico hulls bought from peanuts in a corsican Mark Warner resort.
the recipe was ; 2 lasers on the roof rack , 2 more on the caravelle flanks and one laser and two picos atop the caravelle

I sold the caravelle a good price(it has reached collector status ) and the best laser to private owners and traded the ther Lasers and Picos for he two second hand Laser 16 .from he Marseilles laser dealer..my sailing school modernized it's fleet and earned some money in he process, and did not pay much in ferry fares
:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: