Shearwater Catamaran Owners

an area to discuss dinghy developments
joneschris8

Shearwater Catamaran Owners

Post by joneschris8 »

I am trying to find any Shearwaters out there that are still sailing but not active on the travelers circuit. If you are an owner of one of these boats or know of one in a dinghy park somewhere, please let me know.
Chris Jones
Howlin

Re: Shearwater Catamaran Owners

Post by Howlin »

HI Chris.
I have Shearwater "Delirious" number1943, I believe a beastie from the middle 70's. Wooden hulls, in need of some post season TLC but goes well! She's about to come home for thorough drying, varnishing etc. I have in all honesty been trying to sell her as the crew have run off to University! I can singlehand up to about F3, beyond that I'm struggling!! I have found the boat to be well balanced, quick and real challenge under that big spinnaker! As most of the traveller series is on the South and East coast and I'm in South Wales it is very difficult to get to them. Shame really.
Regards,
Simon
IC K127
FF2549
Shearwater 1943
davidh

Post by davidh »

CHris,

we've still got Mike O'connor and his boat at netley. I do not think that they've been out once this season!

D
David H
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Hi Chris,

I have 1931, Aqua Vitae, another mid 70's boat and yes I did manage to get her repaired and have sailed her on the Thames at Leigh.

Unfortunately, I also do not have a crew she has not been in the water much this year (once). I am moving clubs to a more restricted water next year so,unfortunately she will be up for sale very soon. :cry:

Steve
davidh

Post by davidh »

Stephen,

I'd have thought that you boat was newer than that.

I was sailing 1869 - as a state of the art competitive boat, in 1977!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guys
I wish you had contacted me a while ago as I had someone looking for an old Shearwater to sail at CVRDA events, but they ended up buying a Hobie 16 as they could not find a cheap one. If you do not sell your boats it would be great if you could attend next years CVRDA Nats at Roadford, we can always find you a crew. Please post the details of your boats on this website you may even find a buyer.

Cheers Al Finn 424 , B class Shark 41.
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Hi Alan,
If I haven't sold "Delirious", even at the ridiculously low figure I want for her!, I'll do my best to get her to Roadford next year. I genuinely feel she's the nicest boat I've ever sailed! Well mannered, powerful and above all fun!
I'm still on the look out for a Finn or something similar, as I spoke to you about at Corus. If you know of anything(just e-mailed David to see if his Unit is still available)about please let me know. I'm doing my best to get to Baltic Wharf, but with an old Solo as it's the only thing available!
Regards,
Simon.
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Simon,
If you are definitely looking for a Finn suitable for CVRDA events PM with how much you are wanting to spend and I will, I am sure be able to put you in touch with someone.
We have been actively increasing the fleet at Roadford which now stands at 5/6 and we know where boats are and I am contacted regularly, but the price is always the key as they can range from £200-£3000 for classics depending on how much you want to spend and how much work you are prepared to do.
I would add that I have no commercial interest in this, I'm just keen to see more Finns on the water and particularly at CVRDA events.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Thanks for that.
It is a Finn I'm primarily looking for(I'm not little at 17.5st!), the IC is cool and I don't stop laughing when I'm trying to keep it upright but it does struggle, the poor old thing! There was a Finn for £500 in Exeter but I had enormous trouble getting down with weather, flooding through the house and the daughter going off to Uni I haven't been able to get down and visit! Sod's Law rules! I am looking around the £500-600 mark, hopefully that'll get me something I can sail straight away, but if it needs some work then so be it! If you do come across anything I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know. Mbi is 07852 866160. I'm located in South Wales. Assuming this weekend's trip to Aberystwyth to take more bits up to the daughter is the last then I should be available to visit most areas anytime after! I've got a road base that is nice and strong and takes a Solo trolley, so it should cope alright with a Finn!
Thanks for your advice and help.
Regards,
Simon.
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Simon,
At the present time there are two posibilities, the boat in Exeter was a very good one, and is becoming part of the Roadford fleet this weekend, so that has gone.
Neil Witt has an option on an old Pearson but it will need a fair ammount of work so is best described as a project. The other boat is a well sorted example needing no attention at all and comes with a good rig and fittings,ready to sail, it is thought to be an Elvstrom.
The owner is Ivan Coryn who I believe has just reduced the reserve and placed it on ebay he can be contacted on 07802263986 he is in the trade,but I have always found his dealings to be very fair.
I will keep an eye open for anything else out there.
By the way at 17ish stones you are the ideal weight for a Finn and can still eat as many pies as you like!!!
GBR74 ex custodian of
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

There's a quite smart looking Elvestrom Finn for sale on various sites. It's been up for sale for quite a while, asking a bit too much money so it could be worth making an offer on it.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I believe the Pearson on B&O has sold ,but the Elvstrom K199 was the boat I was refering to, I know Ivans boats are usually very good. Definitely worth an offer.
GBR74 ex custodian of
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Yo dudes,
Just purchased Ivan's Finn, the Elvstrom! Going to pick it up the weekend after next! Thanks for everyone's advice. Won't feel so guilty now eating all the pie's!! i'll probably be back on line with a load of questions about rigging, set up etc when I've got her home, so don't go away!
I may have her ready for Baltic Wharf in November.
Regards to all,
Simon.