Anyone seen one of these?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Garry R

Anyone seen one of these?

Post by Garry R »

While on holiday recently I picked up this game in a charity shop. Lovely pewter markers and in great condition - just wondered if anyone had actually played it?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17672
Michael Brigg

Re: Anyone seen one of these?

Post by Michael Brigg »

I've not seen this one before but I do have virtually unused games in my toy store of the "Francis Chichester" boardgame

and another one called "Helmsman," which I can't get a picture of.

We tried them a few times as children but they were less exciting than the staples of Monopoly and Risk because they provided fewer opportunities to squabble with my siblings. (I have decided that this is secret of success for any childrens board game, and possibly the sole purpose of adult ones.)

A board game with a certain amount of sailing "skill" that we really did enjoy was "Buccanneer."

This is a game whose designers I am sure (If waddington's felt so inclined ) could sue Disney's Pirates of the carribean for intellectual copyright.

Is this thead likely to develop into an idea for a CVRDA social event??!
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Micheal the memories come flooding back. I was talking about the Chichester one with my father the other day but he had no recollection of it.
He did have a much older game when we were kids which was based in the solent and had metal yachts. It must have been early cos if you hit a mark you were disqualified. I dont know what happened to it. Probably thrown away when they left the island. Interestingly the board was marked in a diamond pattern so you had to tack upwind.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

My father brought me a game called Helmsman when I was still sailing a Cadet the game was pretty good and even had headers and freers to contend with.
Cheers Al
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Is "Buccanneer" the Pirate Memory Game being searched for by Mr Man on Little Britain?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Here's the link to "Helmsman"

I agree it's a much more "complete" sailing game, but definately not one for the distractable .

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/228143
Michael Brigg
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I have a Round Britain race game played on a plastic map and also a game called Starboard which involves a wind direction chart inside a cleat plastic playing may. The boats actually have little spinnakers you take on and off as necessary. They both come in cardboard tubes and I think date from the 70's.

Maybe sailing games are another area to record - or perhaps a deep winter CVRDA meeting which does not need water or protective clothes but could be held in a warm venue with a good bar and restaurant!
roger

Post by roger »

DavidC wrote: Maybe sailing games are another area to record - or perhaps a deep winter CVRDA meeting which does not need water or protective clothes but could be held in a warm venue with a good bar and restaurant!

Or even Clwedog at Whitsun. :(
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

My father had a 1943 board game called le jeu des grandes régates (great regatta game), there was a cardboard chart, with lines in all the points of compass (like old style portuguese charts) , coulour enamelled regatta marks and boats , a few plaster rocky islands to be put as obstructions.
There was also a cardboard compass rose mounted on a porcelain swivel on a steel pivot that had to be spun by each player in turn to determine wind direction.(some lines were forbiden according to the wind direction)
Progress of the boat was determined by throwing a dice (one to six knots...) and not unlike in monopoly there were event cards to draw either favorable (unexpected windshift makes you gain three notches) or unfavourable (you capsize, pass your turn, your mast breaks pass three turns...ec).

We played it as children and it was quite educative for 6 7 years old a we had already learned to sail my father's Vaurien
chris

Post by chris »

I have a game (bought about 10 yrs ago) called Nautical Trivia which sounds much like it , Garry.
Question and answers etc and chance cards which can change wind direction and make you go around the boat in front or strand you at low tide etc. Quite good fun but presumably comes from America. EG questions like 'Whats the motto of the US marine corps?' or 'In the book The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, which of the Great Lakes is referred to by its Indian name Gitche Gumee?'
Answers please...
They are at least multiple choice and most of the questions are much more universal.
Yes a foul weather indoor alternative would have been useful this year. I've travelled and not sailed four times this year!
angus

Post by angus »

Does anybody know where I can get the instructions for buccaner I got a first addition years ago with no instructions commplete with wooden barrels and jewels etc. But have never been able to play it. By the way I think Waddingtons went under years ago, which is probably why they never bothered suing Disney.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith