Zenith Class

an area to discuss dinghy developments
azimuth

Zenith Class

Post by azimuth »

Hi All,

Intending to get back into sailing soon after 10yr gap, I have a Zenith (Proctor 1959 design, 14'6'', spinnaker & trapeze) which it is about time I used again!

Wondered if anyone knows of any Zeniths still sailing or if they are ever seen at CVRDA events?

Here's a pic of mine - mainsail is missing the orange panel which the class normally has.
Z74#1.jpg
(13.91 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
-------------------------
Z74 - 'Azimuth'
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Zenith Class

Post by Ed »

I can't be absolutely sure about this.....but there was a dinghy that I always thought was a Zenith that lived....of all places in the carpark above the beach at Widemouth in North Cornwall.

If it wasn't a Zenith....then possibly a Lazy E, but never saw it out sailing or had a tape-measure....or able to see much by sticking nose under cover.

Anyway, looked like it would of gone well in the sea there.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
MarkHitchin

Post by MarkHitchin »

On the off chance you ever check back here 2 years later:

The only Zeniths I've ever seen were at Severn Sailing Club. (Which as you probably know is where that image was taken.) There were two or three IIRC.

I knew "Azimuth" which I assume is now your boat?

SSC also have the "Z11 Trophy" which ISTR was named after a Zenith.

I would imagine the best source of information on Zeniths would be the chap I suspect you bought that one from. CT? If you can't get hold of him try contacting the club direct or failing that PM me and I'll put you in touch with CT who is a stand up guy.

HTH

Edit: Sorry, just realized who I was replying to! Hi Keith, hope you're well!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi,

we used to have Zeniths sailing down on Southampton Water and in the classic estuary conditions the boats seemed to perform well - a successful handicap boat.

I think one reason for their use locally was that they were made for a while up at Winchester by Trowbridge Boats, this would make sense as the area was popular for Leaders (another Trowbridge boat) too.

I've some background detail on the Zenith if you need it.

But to my mind, the Zenith would make an excellant CVRDA boat and I look forward to seeing it out on the water. Where is the boat now and where will you be based out of in the coming season?

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Keith one of the Roadford Finn sailors also owns a Zenith. Nice boat which has a bandit Handicap and go's like hell in light winds.
Cheers Al