Pisces Singlehander

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nigel

Pisces Singlehander

Post by Nigel »

Hi all,

I am thinking of bidding on one of these if it stays cheap. Has anyone had any experience of them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0297981228

Nigel
davidh

Re: Pisces Singlehander

Post by davidh »

Nigel,

a very nice little single hander this. Mike tremlett along at southsea had some way back when. Just as the Harrier was centred on the North of England, the Pisces was very much (as I recall) a boat from the South.

Nigel - are you close enough to get to see this/collect?

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi David,

I am in Bristol so if it is very cheap I will just take a chance on it then go to collect. The trip to get it will cost nearly as much as the boat.

By the way, I am just about to post another mystery boat for people's consideration & opinion & to while away a wet afternoon (I am between contracts :( ).

Best regards,

Nigel
Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

Sorry I missed this and posted same to the "Singlehander" string.

I too am tempted. I contacted the seller who has gone away today until the 21st..so a viewing is not possible.

Any more information anyone?

Thanks,

Alan.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi all,

now mine :).

No chance to get it before BW but you should see it next year.

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Excellent! The lost classes are coming on strong now. I look forward to Pisces v Tonic in the spring!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

NIgel and Rupert.

not so much the 'search for the lost chord' but the 'search for the Lost singlehanders'.... when will the Topic and Pisces go head to head?

I want some pictures for the archive (as both boats will have their own page, as will the Unit, Mark, Dart....sSea Bat etc etc)

Cheers

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Maybe in Febuary, if we get organized!
David, you seem to be the man with the contacts...have you any news on the legacy of Rod MacAlpine Downie? I'm sure his Cat work is well documented (by Bob Fisher and Reg White in the late 60's, if nothing else, but I've not come across anything more broad about him. I suppose one thing I'm wondering is what happened to the Tonic moulds...thrown away years ago, I guess, though.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

Much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I thik you may well be right. About 18 months ago I had a search for anything at all on RMD, but gave up as I was getting nowhere. It doesn't help that he was an 'east coaster' - and now I'm not making fun of the area, that said, what was happening up there didn't always get that much publicity down here.

The man who might throw some detal on this is Dave Chivers (are you there Moriarty??).

But here is a 'pledge'!

If through Dave's good efforts, I can track down a surviving family member for Rod, I'll go and interview them and get as much detail as I can. The danger is that we are in the Tremlett family situation, whereby boxes of 60s sailing memorabilia may well have been consigned to the tip for want of a better home!!

Hence the archive

David

PS.... even if it be Feb, I'd love to come and add some up to date pictures for the archive, so cheers

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi David,

I intend to bring the Beachcomber as well. If we can find another sailing volunteer we can have all three in the same shot (probably when Rupert laps us :) ).

Nigel
roger

Post by roger »

Can I play... seriously I would relish the chance to sail a boat where I cant blame the crew.. :D
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are still plenty of things to blame, even in a single handed boat, so as to not have to admit to being crap...I blame the boat, the sails, the mainsheet (for being too short/too thin/too thick) the ratchet block for either being on when it should be off or off when it should be on, the wind, other boats (even when they are 1/2 a lake away)...you get the idea - anything but me...All these things have a massive advantage over blaming the crew - no messy divorce!
Rupert
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Ah Thank you Homes, recognized at last.

I fear that you are correct in that much has been lost on the RMD front. I believe he moved the the Channel Islands but he has been gone a long while and I suspect that most of his work was not kept. However, I will talk to Reg and others and see what contacts there might still be. I am doing a couple of talks on Austin Farrar in Jan and Feb and with the right encouragement it is surprising what can be found. Sadly "Dad's" box of old rubbish that is put in the skip is usually priceless. I know of two photo collections that went that way and suspect that some more have as well.

As an aside, RMD's trimaran the Challenger is still being built in Brightlingsea and selling well. Reg and I re-vamped the moulds and hull/deck joint system several years ago and it is a really nice boat now. The old mould with the lapped hull/deck joint never lasted and they were prone to leaks.

D
davidh

Post by davidh »

Elementary my dear Watson!

Dave...can you do a quicl poll around and see if there is a widow, or a son/daughter extant - through them we may still be able to get some useful info.

On a passing note, I was chatting with Ancient Geek today (please note Michael Briggs - there are others than do speak with me, your uniqueness is ended) and he was recounting the story of the FD that had all the rigging powered by gears - until it self destructed and sank at Hyeres.

As the ads say, saving a boat is expensive, but it is saving the wonderful seas stories like that, that are 'priceless'.

Dave C.... you've been copied in on an exchange of RYA emails and you were spot on..... left hand, right hand and not knowing springs to mind!!!!!!!

Was it ever so?

D
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Sadly after over 25 years of working with them, somethings never change! :?