Identify my dinghy!!!

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Dave Kenyon

Post by Dave Kenyon »

I have just come into a rather beautiful cold (or hot) moulded wooden dinghy. She has a rounded bow and a curved entry. Thwarts tramsom etc are varnished and the two rowing position rowlocks are brass mounted. She is gunter rigged with a drop in center board and lift up rudder. I have been told that she might be a Fairey Gosling? Drop me an email to davekenyon@ntlworld.com and I will sent a picture.
Many Thanks

Dave Kenyon.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

More likely to be a Fairey Duckling. Ed will be able to confirm, but I think the Gosling was the outboard version of the Duckling? The Duckling is 9' long and 4' wide, and the veneers will run diagonally on the outside of the hull, and mast goes through the forward thwart. Hope this helps.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

mmmmmm.....gosling....can't say i remember it....but I reckon Rupert might well be right, it could be a duckling with outboard.

the other possibility is that it might be a Merron Dinghy. Length approx 10-11ft, moulded ply. Distinctive feature would be that it has moulded thwarts, that look like 1970s swedish furniture if you know what i mean.

Most of these were gunter rigged, but not all.....wheras many of the Ducklings that I have seen have been bermuda rigged.

The merron certainly had a dagger board....can't remember off top of head about the Duckling.

send me a small jpeg and I will post it to this list for you...or if you have some webspace you can do it yourself.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Duckling started life with a gunter, with 2 battens in the sail, and no insignia. And has a daggerboard and 2 rowing positions.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

All in all the Duckling would seem more likely.....but the length would prove it one way or the other.

Both the Ducklings and the Merrons came with both gunter and bermudan rigs....but I suspect the gunter was more popular in both cases. I just seem to think of Ducklings with bermuda rigs because of seeing some racing together at the Fairey 50th aniv...and to the best of my memory, they were all using bermuda rig.....but maybe my memory fails me...

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

seen some pics now (I hope they will be in readers boats soon!) and it isn't a Duckling.
Rupert
andrew

Post by andrew »

A Gosling had a motorcycle engine driven by a belt according to the Fairey owners association website.
I have seen a "Duckling" with a hole for a prop shaft that probably hatched as a Gosling.
A Combi dinghy - Norwegian I think, is a similar moulded boat with a rounded bow.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Sorry might be a Kombi.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

sorry to take ages....but here are some images.

I have to say it looks very familiar....has it ever been to a cvrda event? Clywedog even....a few years ago? If not, then a boat exactly the same did come!!

anyway here you go

<hr noshade size="1">

<hr noshade size="1">

What do ya all think?

I have my thinking cap on.....but I have to say, I was pretty sure it wasn't a Duckling when I saw it at Clywedog, although that is what we said it was.......it ain't a Merron thats for sure! Pretty sure it isn't a Peanut.

So Jury is still out.....with Duckling as best guess until someone can put a tape measure down it to give a overall length

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Dave Kenyon

Post by Dave Kenyon »

Latest on mystery dinghy - it is 10' overall length with a beam of 4'. So not so ugly duckling?

Dave

PS Thinking of selling Offers? 07887 925308
chris

Post by chris »

not a penquin (canoe) either then, which has a beam of 2ft 8
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Dave,

is it the boat that came up to Clywedog a couple of years ago?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Dave Kenyon

Post by Dave Kenyon »

No idea on prevoius appearances at events I'm afraid.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guys
The Boats a Peanut and is the same design as the one that turned up at Clywedog. Note sail emblem a shelled peanut.
Cheers Alan

ps any chance of you coming to MSC CVRDA Meeting?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Must be a different peanut to that in the books, which is not only hard chined, but also American. Have you any history of the class please?
Rupert