Old 505's

an area to discuss dinghy developments
bob eastwood

Re: Old 505's

Post by bob eastwood »

David

Thought it polite not to post name of the guy that bought K38. "Sorcerous"

I do have some pics back in the Uk and can try to scan them when I get home next month.

Am way up in the lakedistrict by the way.
Bob
davidh

Post by davidh »

Bob.

Thanks - that would be great!

And now the reason for the asking...... recently I was involved in a series of Magazine articles that counted down the UK Top Dinghy Designs (the criteria for inclusion was strict with a capital S) and the Number 1 slot went to..... the 505 (much to the chagrin of many other classes)

What this did was to highlight the importance of the 505 history in the wider stroy that is the UK dinghy develeopment timeline..... so I have been busy since then building up the knowledge bank on the early days of the boat.

So - anything that can be added to that store will be very uiseful and might just end up forming part of a story that can be told to a wider audience.

So thanks.... no rush - I'm in the midst of completing the book on the Contender at present, but when you do get something, that this would be great

Rgards

David
David H
bob eastwood

Post by bob eastwood »

david
I'll certainly see what I can find when I get home in May.
I may be able to find out more from the man who had the boat at Morecambe in the 60's.
He may have some older Pics.
I can't remember the surname of the chap that bought the boat, Peter White? something like that but again I will have a note of it at home. Lives near Devises.

If you havn't heard from me by mid may drop me an email, eastwoodbob@hotmail.com.

Bob
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Peter White moved back to his home on the East Coast and is sailing Squibs these days. I will ask him next week when I see him.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I spoke with Pete White today. He did buy the boat from the Lake District but then sold it on to France where there is a strong fleet of old 505's.

He said it was built of two layers of 3 ply and had a Chippendale builders plate. Jack however said he never built any that way so we don't really know :D
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Jacks memory may be at fault? He certainly built a Flying 15 for the late Bill Kempner in two layers of 3 ply.
Simples.