HELP, does anybody recognize this design?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Hector

HELP, does anybody recognize this design?

Post by Hector »

Aloha from Honolulu
I found your website on the internet and when it comes to sailing dinghies, I can not think of a more knowledgable group of people than your association.
I saved this little sailboat from oblivion and I am trying to bring it back to life, the centerboard is missing, has a fiberglass hull, wooden mast and I would say that is at least 25 years old or older.
Oddly enough it seems to have what looks like a water ballast system but I am not sure is that is the purpose of the small round opening on the floor, near the transom that if left unplugged allows water to partially fill the space between the floor and the inside of the hull , this opening is round, about 2 cm in diameter, just big enough so can be plugged with an expandable quick release type plug and very close to 2 other holes on the transom itself that can receive threaded plastic plugs.
Any information that you may have will be appreciated since without a design name I can not even start looking for parts or at least specs for parts to fabricate.
Hector
Attachments
sideview1.jpg
(66.55 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
frontview.jpg
(93.08 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
backview.jpg
(71.8 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
Nigel

Re: HELP, does anybody recognize this design?

Post by Nigel »

Hi Hector.

welcome :) .

The holes on the outside are drain holes to allow you to let out any water that has found its way into the hull (you should be able to get the plugs from any chandler but there are a couple of different types). I could not see the inside hole in the photos but it is likely that this is also for draining water out. I do not know of anything dinghy sized that uses water ballast.

Regarding identification, I for one do not recognise it immediately. If you take some accurate measurements of length and beam, it will help with finding it in any books people have. The other (usually easiest) way is to have a look at the sails. If you post a picture of any insignia, it should make identification a lot easier.

All the best,

Nigel
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I think I recognise it as a Windmill dinghy. I saw one last year in Canada. They are sailed a lot in the states.

http://windmillclass.org/
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Nessa,

the deck layout looks very similar but the Windmill seems to be hard chined. It is not easy to tell from the photos but I would say the mystery boat isn't.

What did strike me though was its similarity in hull shape to a Finn (I am not suggesting it is one) and it looks as though the (unstayed?) mast is fitted to the front of the cockpit with a strap. If this is the case, it would be single sailed.

Not a racing dinghy of European origin in my opinion but who knows what a local builder may have used as a mould.

Nigel
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

When I was at the Worlds last year there was a chap sailing called Arturo Asonov (known to us as Arthur). On the final day one of these turned up in the boat park, apparently belonging to Arthur who was taking it back to Florida. I, and everyone else who saw it thought it was a Finn, not least because Arthur was of Finn stature. I agree with your point about hard chines - but I can't seem to find many clear pictures.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nigel,

au contraie I'm afraid - the stuff I have on the windmill does refer to the rounded bilge, not hard chines.

Hector - if you can just run a tape measure over this. For a Windmill you'll be looking at a hull length of 15' 6" and a beam of 4' 8".

Hope this helps

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

davidh wrote:Nigel,

au contraie I'm afraid - the stuff I have on the windmill does refer to the rounded bilge, not hard chines.
but the Windmill class web site does state
The Windmill is a born racer. Its narrow, hard-chined planing hull provides high performance
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Some pictures of the bottom of the cockpit showing whether it should have a daggerboard or a centreboard and where the mast fits would also be useful; and how the mast & boom fit together. From what I can see, I still think it is a una rig.

Nigel
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have emailed the VP of the Windmill Class. He is a lovely man who I also met last year - Ethan Bixby, star 505 many other classes sailor. We will see if he has time to take a look. He also makes sails for North.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Hector

Post by Hector »

Nigel wrote:Some pictures of the bottom of the cockpit showing whether it should have a daggerboard or a centreboard and where the mast fits would also be useful; and how the mast & boom fit together. From what I can see, I still think it is a una rig.

Nigel
Aloha Nigel, thank you and your friends from the forum for taking the time to answer, I will be taking a couple of more pictures to post, the boat is supposed to have a dagger board (missing I am afraid), I will also set the mast that has no stays and indeed is for a single sail.
Hector
Hector

Post by Hector »

Aloha, I took more pictures, now with the mast on and trying to cover the items and angles that the responses requested. The hull length is 11 feet 8", and the beam 5 feet 2".
A lot of the hardware was made in Australia but of course that does not mean that the boat was made there.
Thank you again for the help.
Attachments
side2wmast.jpg
(20.33 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
mastbase.jpg
(12.17 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
backwmast.jpg
(22.71 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Chris 249

Post by Chris 249 »

I think it's a Kite. It's definitely not a Windmill (deck design is similar, hull and rig design are not) and it's definitely not Australian.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Hector,

I do not recognise it from those measurements and photos. Probably your best course of action is to have a look around local sailing clubs (or their websites)and harbours/beaches. It is unlikely it is the only one of its kind on the island.

If you cannot find another, do not dispair. The dagger board is a simple thing to make. Use marine ply. size from the slot, I would guess about 30 to 36 inches showing beneath the boat. Give it as much of an aerofoil profile as possible (i.e. round the front edge and taper the back). Fit some sort of handle/stop to stop it falling out of the bottom and allow you to pull it up (two holes and a rope handle running between is the simplest way). Varnish it and you are ready to go.

Do you have the sail? If not, this is probably going to be the most expensive single item. I would suggest you talk to a local sailmaker to see what he suggests (he may also recognise the boat).

Have you sailed dinghies before? If not, it is worth finding a local club and developing your skills. It will also mean that you have safety boat cover on your maiden voyage :) .

All the best

Nigel

Nigel
Chris 249

Post by Chris 249 »

I can't find my Kite info, but from a couple of photos I've seen I'm fairly sure your boat is one. Basically, a baby Finn, often sailed by a couple of teenagers.

And you may be in the right place to get help; there's a guy in Kailua who has a CB.....

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... =Kite+Pyle
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hector.

I was just logging in to give you an update when I saw the reply from Chris 249.

He is (as always) spot on. The boat is a Kite class dinghy, made by Newport Boats, Box 1714, Newport Beach, California.... though I would warn that the adress quoted is from a long way past.

The design was by Carter Pyle and set a 7.13 sq m sail on a single wooden spar.

The boat was reported to be popular in the South West of the USA - along with the lakes.

You'd be in good company with the guy over on the East coast who is doing up a Mark Dinghy.... you'll soon have a 'Finn Trainers' fleet over there!!!

Interestingly. one of the big news stories in the classics fleet here is the growing interest in some of the 'lost' single handers!!

David
David H