stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

<i><b>This is a topic brought over from the OLD forum</b></i>

"Dorchester Merlins"
Posted by mark on 21.08.2004 at 21:50:33
Readership 71
PREVIOUS | NEXT | FOLLOW UP | INDEX
Great performance from Chris and Lois at Dorchester today, they did the CVRDA proud

Follow up from: Ed - 23.08.2004 - 9:58:4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tell us more!
how many boats turned up for the Vintage Merlin event?

I thought it was rather a strange choice of date considering it was the first day of the Merlin Nats....and many of the owners of 'classic' or 'vintage' Merlins also own and race modern boats.

but anyway, please do tell us more.

cheers

eib

Follow up from: Mark - 23.08.2004 - 11:32:24

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right then, seven boats, ranging from number 1 to 2120. Apart from Kate there were a pair of Jack Holt designs and the rest were from Ian Procter (Mk 6,9,9b). With regard to the clash with the Nationals it didn't seem to make any difference, the only event with a higher attendance this year has been Ranelagh and they have a high indigenous fleet. it seem like a great series to race Merlins (not as good as the CVRDA, of course) and the boats have to be over 30 years old. The next event is at Banbury on Sept 4th, and I will burn the midnight oil to get 1008 ready for it.

Follow up from: Ed - 23.08.2004 - 18:19:49

I am sure they are great fun.....I certainly enjoyed both the events that I took ISKA Merlin 6 to.
As a matter of interest, if anyone would like to take a more active part in these events, I have one or maybe two early Merlins that would certainly fit the bill.

ISKA has not been on the water for a couple of years although she is quite sound condition (needs a good soak). She is No 6 and to the best of my knowledge is the oldest 'un-renovated' Merlin still sailing. NO EPOXY anywhere!!! Wooden mast (long, but not original length) she has two sets of cotton sails including a cotton kite. I really want her to go to a 'good' home.....preferably someone at a nice old river club....but as long as she is safe....

Anybody interested, please do get in touch with me.

The other is a Proctor Mk VIII - No 638....georgeous shape, hull totally sound, but needs redecking. Couple of masts (one a bit bent) a selection of booms, sails are pretty naff.

Again anybody interested, please do give me a call.

cheers

eib

Follow up from: chris - 23.08.2004 - 19:45:50

Ummm how do I put this, Ed? I'm saving my pennies, have talked Lois about Iska, and want to talk to you at Roadford. Yes I want ISKA!
Chris

Follow up from: chris - 23.08.2004 - 19:47:18

Ummm how do I put this, Ed? I'm saving my pennies, have talked Lois into it (I think), and want to talk to you at Roadford. Yes I want Iska, and I promise no epoxy!
Chris

Follow up from: roger - 24.08.2004 - 12:50:42

I think Chris wants ISKA ed
I think Chris wants ISKA ed
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat