Cheetah Catamaran

an area to discuss dinghy developments
mcmahon.bob

Cheetah Catamaran

Post by mcmahon.bob »

I have Cheetah Catamaran 201 bought about 18 months ago and am interested in class history and if there are any other boats still out there being sailed. It seems a great boat quick but very wet and is in remarkably good condition for its age.

Grateful for any information

Bob
alan williams

Re: Cheetah Catamaran

Post by alan williams »

Hi Bob
I'll get back to you about the Cheetah this week end. Cheers Alan Williams CVRDA Cat rep.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Do keep it on-forum Alan!

I may be a lurker in all things 'catamaran' but I do enjoy learning a bit more from you about cat-history.

You never know, there might be an old 'cat' out there for me....

Not sure what.....but still have a soft spot for Unicorns and A-class's.

I saw that Unicorn 1 is still in existence and being sailed.

talk later

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed,

we've a growing group of A class cats at Netley and they are awesome. The lastest point as high as a good dinghy, yet sail at what looks to be 3 times the speed.

For a long time there was a guy who sailed an Australis A cat locally - you may recall that this was the boat that beat the Unicorn in the IYRU trials, only to dissappear shortly after..

That would though have to rate as the prettiest of cats that I've yet to see!
BTW - see how easy it is back on safe, boaty ground topics!!)

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Your A-cats at Netley are Awesome!

They are the only ones I have ever seen sailing and I loved em to bits when I came up in the old canoe the first time.

Missed them last year!

I am told I am most probably too fat to sail one to effect. Not sure if this worries me considering I must also be too fat for the IC.

Either way, couldn't afford a new one.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I got the Chris Wilson/Max Press catamaran sailing book recently off Amazon, and it has a lot about the Australis. I guess the trouble was that it wasn't as much better than the other A's as the Tornado was in the B class, or as well sorted ready for production. I suppose we should be thankful, or the A class would have vanished as effectively as the B's did.
None of which helps with the Cheetah, though it gets a mention in Catamaran Racing, the Bob Fisher/Reg White book (assuming same Cheetah) as competing in a modified form in an early IYRU A class trail in 1962 being sailed by Gordon Brookes, the designer.
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guy's we used to have an Australis at Mayflower back in the dim and distant past and a few Unicorns. All helm's were of about the same experience and age but I never saw the Australis win a race. This may have been due to the sea conditions in Plymouth Sound. In a blow a nasty short chop, which with the lack of bouancy in the ends of the Australis caused it to pitch like a rocking horse, the Unicorns seemed to cope better and I feel were a far better design all round.
Cheers Al
Last edited by alan williams on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Bob
Did you buy the boat for sale in Essex or the one that the owner was going to give away in Greater London? Is there any chance of you getting down to Roadford for the Nationals if there is I'll get the Shark out.
Cheers Al
Last edited by alan williams on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Bob
As promised details of Cheetah.
Firstly let ne say you have a very nice cat which is faster than a Swift and close to a Shearwater with out spinnaker in speed.
Length 14ft Beam 6ft 6" sail area 160 sqft alot for a 14ft at that time.Draught 7" 2ft 4" with boards down. Mast 22ft Class rules sails are red. Stripped weight 242lb.
Designed and built by G.H. Brookes & Co. 3Rawreth Ind. Estate Rawreth Lane , Rayleigh Essex.
Main sail fully batterned .
Can be sailed singlehanded or with crew trapeze is fitted. Boats are GRP and either available fully built and kits were available from the builder.At the time they were described as a smart and able performerand was proberbly the fastest commercially built 14ft cat available in the UK at that time. there was a class Assoc. which was based at the Catamaran Yacht Club, Minster Sheppey. Kent.
You may be able to get further details bu contacting the CYC.
Try and make Roadford ,enjoy your boat. Please could you send me a personal e-mail via contact list with your where abouts contact details so that I can added you to the cat group listing.
Cheers Al CVRDA Cat Rep.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Here's a shot of David Chivers' Unicorn at Brightlingsea last summer for you cat lovers.
Unicorn (2).JPG
(149.1 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Ah the joy of a Thoroughbred, just before take off ! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Great picture Pat, thank you