Mercury history

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Rupert

Mercury history

Post by Rupert »

Thanks, Peter, nice to learn more about those pesky Mercurys, especially after chasing 101 round Bristol docks on Saturday!
One query, though, about fitting the 14 rules. Isn't she too wide, at 5'10"? The story I heard was that she used the construction method that was pioneered on a 14, but I can't think where I heard that - either Bob or AT at Bristol Avon, I guess.
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Re: Mercury history

Post by Ancient Geek »

It was pioneered on an Int 14 and David Miles won the POW with it!
Simples.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi I used to be a part owner in Audacity 732 David Miles 14 in the 70's. She did not win the POW as the race was abandoned The only time it has ever been stopped, but David was awarded a special trophy.
Cheers Al
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I should know better you are right, I was there.
Simples.
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

Hi All - and Alan especially with confirmation that Audacity was indeed the mould for the Mercurys. I am sure I have a dusty document somewhere in the box of Mercury stuff in the loft which refers to the abandoned PoW. Do you know any more, or is there any trace of Audacity. Where did you leave her last? :0)

Cheers

B
Currently boatless - but watch this space.
Ex-various Mercurys and Fireball.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

When we had the Mercury 'Nationals' at Clevedon in 1997 Gerald Durbin came along, and it was he who said 'a souped up Mercury managed a top six place in the I14 nationals in 1961.'
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

The 1961 Prince of Wales Cup at Whitstable was abandoned on the final beat with five survivors and resailed the next day or was it the Saturday? Special prizes were given to the survivors. Some of us felt that they should have let it go on and give David Miles a well dererved win. It was the last time (I think.) that 14's reefed or sailed bare headed without fore-sails or both. Frank Dwyer the race officer who died a couple of months back said the memory of that POW still was clear.
Attachments
David Child - Brian Saffery-Cooper 1961 POW Cup Whistable focv.jpg
(116.04 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Simples.
roger

Post by roger »

A 1937 I14 has just come up called Mercury I know its way off topic but quite a coincidence.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Audacity was I feel only similar to a mercury in construction as she had a straight stem and rather less beam but with the same tank layout as a mercury. When Pat and I had her we souped her up spending a fortune on new rig, centermain. reducing weight were possible and painting her. 21 coats all rubbed down with 1000 flour paper over the winter of 1973. The last I heard of her was that she went to S.Wales. Jeremy Pudney said at Falmouth 1974 that she looked great. Another old boy in the fleet said that David Miles would not have liked what we did to her, cutting down the transum, putting in the largest bailers possible and transum flaps, as well as stiffening the centreboard case and main thwart. I contacted the 14s and the last record they have of her was of Pat Britton being the owner in 1976. Would like to buy her back if she's not passed on to the great boatyard in the sky.
Cheers Al
Ps John Kiff who sails IOM's at the same Model Boat Club I belong to worked for Ply Craft and was one of the people building Mercury's and built some of Audacity.