Mirror 152

an area to discuss dinghy developments
davidh

Mirror 152

Post by davidh »

The work that progresses down here on the banks of the sunny Solent have now been expanded to include Mirror 152.

So how rare is Mirror 152? Are there many around of this vintage?

Be churlish to say about bringing this to Roadford..............

Will try to get some photos uploaded soon

D
David H
roger

Re: Mirror 152

Post by roger »

David,

Thats quite a find I remember thinking 859 was old back in 1975. My brother had 4340 and we had to repair all the seams along the tanks as we sank at Cowes in the days that Cowes Dinghy week was at Cowes.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger,

you could almost restart the 'one design' debate in looking at 152, for it is very different to the Mirrors of later years.

But as a piece of history (which it has to be) Mirror 152 could even have been a boat built by Barry Bucknall himself. What was the term used by AG..."Four fingers Bucknall".

AG, tell us more!

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

We have been in contact with some very low number Mirrors.....

I remember that No15 was going to come to a cvrda event at one stage....but never showed. Was, if I remember from somewhere around Bristol.....Gloucester or Nth Somerset.

But and here my memory is really rusty......

I seem to remember that someone said they had the Mirror that was the one in a photo that I remember of a mirror being passed out of a first-floor window to helpers below.....It was used in publicity, or was in a book.... but it was one of the very first mirrors.

May come up in a search of the archives.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed,

Thanks for that - if you come up with any more thoughts on the early boat, please shout.

As the owner of 152 is Ian Ridge, one can be sure that it will be sound and very well presented once back on the water!

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

When Roger and I took Shoestring upto the Boat show at Excell a couple of years ago a chap came up to chat and said he built mirror no. 1. He used to work for Jack Holt and this was one of his first jobs.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Found details in email about M3 and M14.....sent you contacts / leads by email.

I think I also remember that M15 was for sail at Bristol Avon SC about 5 or so years ago.

You could ask Bob C if he remembers anything on this.

Which of these was the boat in the photo (do you know the one I mean??) I can't remember, no reference in emails - must of been told that by phone.

Reference is made to both these boats being Mk1 Mirrors and slightly different to the Mirror we know and love.

but isn't that often the way. I am told that Wayfarer 1 (that as far as I know is still at Portishead) wouldn't even measure as a waf.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed....

Thanks - maybe there is a story in there somewhere.

I do take the point that you made re the very early sail numbers. During some research I was chasing on an unrelated subject I heard that Albacore 1 is in a garage and in very good condition. But, as you say, it might have have significant variations in the form and layout.

Just think; Bob Millers first attempt at a Contender was a brutally simple box; a simple hard chined wedge -though look at modern 14s and skiffs and maybe he was just 40 years ahead of his time. But 'Millers Missile' is nothing like the graceful finished product!

Ah well, I guess this is why we love the history

d
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It was Jeremy Fisher had the very early Mirror at Bristol Avon SC - I seem to remember seeing it out sailing at a classics event there, but I can't remember whether it was at one of the original meetings or the cvrda one.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

No, to be honest, I don't remember it sailing with us.....

but I remember that it was for sale on the club notice board.

The one that almost came to sail with us was M14 - I found the emails refering to this. They were going to come, but then broke the mast at the nats, after returning from Worlds in Canada or something.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Mercurial

Post by Mercurial »

Hi all, Have tipped off Jeremy Fisher he's being talked about here and invited him to join in - or to let me know what number his Mirror is (was?) and I'll post it.
I don't remember it being number 15 - there might have been some other numbers on the sail but likely they fell off!
Currently boatless - but watch this space.
Ex-various Mercurys and Fireball.