stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

<i><b>This is a topic brought over from the OLD forum</b></i>

"Advice pls - what class should I buy?"
Posted by Neal Beaumont on 30.08.2004 at 18:56:51
Readership 62
PREVIOUS | NEXT | FOLLOW UP | INDEX
I am keen to get back into dinghy sailing, having spent the last 20 years on cruisers. Mid-life crisis maybe.

I used to race National 12s, but now want something that's a bit larger and less likely to make me wet, too often. I'll want to potter in sheltered tidal waters, often singlehanded, as well as doing a spot of non-serious handicap racing.

Looks are important to me, which rules out some classes (which I won't list here in case I offend anyone).

I'm certainly not averse to wood, though I'm not keen on owning a traditional clinker built boat (modern epoxy clinker would be ok, though probably too expensive).

Ideally, I'd like to spend less than £1000.

I've been thinking: Albacore, Leader or maybe Scorpion.

Has anyone got any other suggestions, or any general advice, please?

Many thanks.

Follow up from: nick clibborn - 31.08.2004 - 18:13:34
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think your choices are excellent, though I think the Scorpion is a bit 'iffy' if you are going to be sailing single handed a lot. You don't say if you want to be involved in the old boats events we all go to, but if so, and I were you, I'd look for a woodedn moulded hull, such as the Fairey boats. That method of construction was probably the strongest of it's era, and you only have to look at the number of old Albacores, Fireflies, Finns etc, to see the longevity of the construction. In this regard, there is a 'nice' Swordfish on Y&Y, 'Under a £1000'.
I don't know what boats you don't like, but you can't ignore, for your purposes, old Enterprises, GP.14's, etc, though I agree the charisma and character is lacking.

Regards

Nick

Follow up from: nick clibborn - 31.08.2004 - 18:34:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, the Swordfish seems to have disappeared - hopefully, someone bought it!!
Nick

Follow up from: Andy Hayes - 02.09.2004 - 18:02:57

How about a Pegasus? see this site for details - I know of three up for sale at the moment ranging from £ 250 - £ 750 - very good value for money.
Might be too much of a hand full on small waters or single handed above force 2

regards

Andy
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Follow up from: alan williams - 09.09.2004 - 16:46:25

Go for a classic cat. fast without all that swimming stuff. Go for taking the family out and you can get by with inexperienced crews. Why sail half a boat when you can sail a whole one. Cheers al Williams

Follow up from: Conor Kelly - 12.09.2004 - 0:27:46

Definitely the Albacore: very responsive a great sea-boat looks good in timber will last forever very safe and easy to handle - even after a capsize and full of water. Amazing boat - in light airs it reponds to every little puff while in heavy wind, you can flatten the sail (bend the mast) and it is easily controlled when all other classes become a handful. I could go on and on...
Regards,
Conor Kelly.
(Ireland)

Follow up from: stu - 12.09.2004 - 15:11:54

Impartial advice on what dinghy to get is always very hard to come by, most people will recommend their own class. I have a classic N12 and an International canoe, neither of which I would recommend for you, even though the N12 is for sale!
My advice, for whatit is worth, speak to as many different people as you can, they'll all rave about their prefered class, and offer reasons why others are not suitable. Listen to the latter advice and make a mental short list, then try to have a go in each of your short list and see what fits the bill.

I know I said I wouldn't offer my advice, but....I would favour an Albacore above many other classes, a beaut of a boat.

Happy Hunting
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat