Merlin Rocket 3055

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Graham T

Re: Merlin Rocket 3055

Post by Graham T »

MuckyRocket wrote:Thanks Graham - i take it you mean i should have done this and im a plonker for not doing so?
Not at all and I apologise if it came across that way - I am in no position to call anyone a plonker given the errors I have made (and continue to make...) whilst fettling boats. What I meant and should have said was "can I suggest you put in some temporary bracing across the deck to prevent the boat moving out of shape".

I'm sure she will be fine but with all the deck supports and front tank out there is little support to the hull shape left at the moment and it is possible that she may distort.

Looking forward to watching progress with this one - you are doing a good job.

Regards
Graham
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Mucky Rocket

One other thing that you need to be aware off. The glues used in the construction of these boats may be nearing the end of its natural life. At Whitefriars, I pulled the caping off the back of the plate case - the mainsheet jammer came with it.

Investigation showed that the glue that held the wood down had gone very crystaline and had little intrinsic strength.

The other suggestion, even though a fitting may appear to be 'sound' take it off and refix it anyway. It was only when supercrew jon pulled the jib track off that we found that the fittings had been held in with plastic masonry wall plugs. Even a detailed examination had looked okay - but once put under load, the whole damn caboodle failed.

Good luck and shout if you get stuck

Enclosed is a picture of Smokey Bear before Jon was let loose on it. The hoop is now gone, instead there is a 3/4 width track running across the back of the thwart. If you're taking away the deck stepping, it may pay to revert to a track rather than a hoop....

Dougal
Attachments
smokey bear low res.JPG
(27.42 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

ARRRGH.....

The hoops gone!! can I claim ruined wetsuit backsides on expences please?? :lol:

Let's just see what bit's I can pull off the boat at Bough Beech!!

Jon

I am fairly sure that picture was taken AFTER I had trashed the boat!!
MuckyRocket

Post by MuckyRocket »

Hello All,

Graham - certainly didnt come accross that way and definetly no offence taken, i hope likewise for you, i really should have added a :lol:

Peoples time and advice which they generously give, has and will be, invaluable to me in getting the boat sorted out.

Well after going with Mrs Mucky to our 12week scan i can report that mucky junior is coming along rather nicely - I managed to tie the hospital trip in with a journey to Rochester to see http://www.morgantimber.co.uk - id throroughly recommend them so far if just for a walk around their facilities.

They are going to supply me with some sapele (hope ive not comitted a major faux pas in doing so) to reform the deck supports - The wood that i have taken out was a mix of white ash (looks like a previous repair as the cut was appalling) and some mahogany which got butchered in the deck stepped mast effort.

Now i could take a rough guide from the various bits which i have removed and kept whole but what would be preferable is if anyone has some proper specs/dims for the deck supports so that i can use them to template a cut and not the shitty old bits i removed?

Bonsoir

PS - Jon, when mine is finished you arent coming within 50 paces :P
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

Should this thread really belong on the Restoration page?
If so, I'll continue the saga there....
Chapter II....