Early Int. Moth info.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
solentgal

Re: Early Int. Moth info.

Post by solentgal »

I was busy yesterday and missed all this chat............but the idea of pulling all the history together and creating a comprehensive archive is exactly what was running through my mind when I started this thread,.....I seriously thought about trying to do it myself, as I think I said before, but I just didn't have the contacts, so you can imagine how pleased I am with the interest everyone is showing........I just wish I had something useful to contribute myself.........I only have a couple of pics (pre digital) of my own boats, not good quality, and some fond memories...........no racing anecdotes though as I just used to thrash around Chi harbour for fun in Moths, as I raced a 420, and later a Europe.
It would be really good to see a rally of pre 19?? Moths.......I don't know how much interest there would be?
I'm hoping to make a serious start on restoring my Europa Moth in the summer (in the style of my original one?) but I need to sort some of the other boats first to get the space.....and then I can take some decent pics, so maybe that will be of interest?
I also agree with David about the level of detail needed if possible.......this would probably be a one off chance to get it right, and it will matter to folk sometime in the future!
Sami.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sami,

the ideal solution is to create the framework and then people can populate it - a bit like wiki. BUT.... though a great idea, you tend to be at the mercy of the spammers, or those who will use the site for their own ends- and at best you end up with a fractured and disjointed story that lacks cohesion. Yet it can still be done and really ought to be done - the history of the class is too important to loose.

I have to go down to the NMM at Falmouth soon, I'm wondering if I could add in a sneak visit to Tony Hibberd

D
David H
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes, the Wiki idea appeals, but, as you say David, there are issues with that, ...I suppose that is why this forum is so valuable.
A big thank you to all who have contributed.....great to see all those pics again PaulM.......
So where do we go from here........if anywhere?
Sami.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

John Andrews (jpa) had an idea yesterday at the club. He suggested that if any classic Moth sailors wanted to, they could come up to Whitefriars when we have our British Moth open (Sunday 12th June). We could bung on a separate start for you, or you could start with the club boats, and get a sail together without too much extra organization, so it wouldn't matter if there were only 2 or 3 of you. It would also give you a chance to chat to the BM sailors to see if there is any interest from that front on having a combined Classic Moth Association.

If there is interest, I shall run it past our Rear Com Sailing.
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Don't forget you will need a special visa if you plan on coming to Cornwall David....
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

I've been trying to post a photo of an old Moth - finally success......

It's not one of my photos, but it shows the Skol 3 shape which was wider than the 2 and with a self-draining cockpit (Peter Conway's first Moth was a Skol 3 to which he added wings).
Attachments
skol-mk3.jpg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That is a very different shape to the Skol 2 - I can see that it would carry more weight. Am I right in thinking it was slower?
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Please bring it to Whitefriars for the Moth meeting or CVRDA nats - we could find out!

It certainly looks a lot flatter and wider floored especialy towards the transom then the '2

j./
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I'm not sure my plate will have settled enough for me to sail by the time the Whitefriars meet comes around, in fact I suspect I will still be splinted which is a shame, otherwise I would be there. It is the Hog Roast at HSC on that day, so I won't be going there either, so I could possibly bring the purple peril for somone else to partake and general viewing. It just depends on whether or not her indoors is required to go and stand around with a tape measure or have the back of her head filmed at some sand pit or another....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

I'm afraid the Skol 3 isn't mine - I just found the photo while surfing. It is indeed wider than the Skol 2, and with a self-draining cockpit it was said to be lighter in the Rondar brochure that can be read on the links to the old Moth site that I posted.

My Moth sailing days are over; apart from being too big and old, I hurt my back hauling a Tornado up a slipway a few years ago, so gentlemen's boats with no sitting-out are the thing nowadays, more Arthur Ransome than Ben Ainslie....

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in Australian scow designs, some plans can be found here:
http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200807 ... r=Plans%2F

Here is another photo trawled from the interweb:
IntMothJnrVictChamps25+kts1974.jpg
which appears to show an Australian 'wide' skiff of the type which won the '73 worlds and was 2nd in '74 and 3rd in '75; design was by Ian Brown who is Aussie Olympic sailing coach ('76 470 Bronze medallist too).

Paul
davidh

Post by davidh »

Paul (and anyone else readaing this...)

PANIC..... Help.......

In your store of pics, do you have any shots of David Iszatt sailing in 3796 - that's a magnum 3?

THe only problem is that I need this like...yesetrday (actually, last week would be closer to the mark!)

D
David H
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Unfortunately I know that I don't have a photo of Dave in that boat, although I'm not at home now (for some reason I never took one, probably because I knew everyone else would, since he won everything) - there is one in the 1982 yearbook which is still available on this link:-
http://web.archive.org/web/200710060457 ... rchive.htm

but it's a pdf of a very fuzzy scan.

And then when I started taking more pics, in about '84, he'd retired from the class.............

Paul
davidh

Post by davidh »

Paul, Sami, Nessa Rupert and other like minded Mothists.....

Your voices may have been heard!! (on high no less)

I've just started work scoping out a possible multi part article on the development of the moth.

This isn't as yet a commision but equally is serious enough for the 'how would I go about this' question to be dominating thinking today. Watch this space....

D
David H
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Excellent! If you want to meet up to see if any of my pics are any use, just let me know.

Make sure you include all the history, including the King of Thailand's designs.....

Paul
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

PaulM wrote: My Moth sailing days are over; apart from being too big and old, I hurt my back hauling a Tornado up a slipway a few years ago, so gentlemen's boats with no sitting-out are the thing nowadays, more Arthur Ransome than Ben Ainslie....
come have a sail with us in the Skua some time... you can sit out if you want to but its not obligatory... but still fast enough for fun.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.