Early Int. Moth info.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Spiderman

Re: Early Int. Moth info.

Post by Spiderman »

David H,
I have got the Yachts and Yachting report on the Moth Worlds held in New Zealand in Jan/ Feb 1981 which Dave Iszatt won sailing K3796. There is a small B&W photo with the report showing Dave going upwind and a scow KA8779 tanking downwind. I could try scanning this and sending it to you if it's any use. I won't be able to do it till Sunday evening at the earliest though I'm afraid, as I am away from at home presently.

Cheers

Ian M
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

David, that's great news re voices from on high, I'll look forward to reading it eventually...............Oh, and am I on a % for starting this thread?? :twisted:
Sami.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Seems to have gone a bit quiet here. I found and dug out the old newletters and looked at a few - it reminded me of who the guys are who did designs through my period in the class. John Pearce is another person who did quite a few, starting with one in 1974-5 called 'Sidewinder' that I never saw.

Paul
davidh

Post by davidh »

For all the keen Mothististas....

Latest Y&Y...........................

D
David H
iowlen

Post by iowlen »

Ray Hutchings and myself testing out my 1974 Aussie scow Moth "Billabong" last week.
Shorts , T-shirt and sunblock in early April , I love the Isle of Wight.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ah the pleasures of Newtown Creek...... but where did you launch from?

Of course - this is a section of exaulted water you are sailing on - this is where Jack Holt brought the prototype GP14 for it's maiden sail/row/motor..... in those days it was a far quieter spot!

Seems like there is a growing classic scene on the Island...are you guys all going to get together at some point - if so say and I'll make it across the Solent to join you!

D
David H
iowlen

Post by iowlen »

We've got a permit for the rural dinghy park at Hamstead.
A bumpy 2 mile drive down an unmade lane to get there , I wouldn't want to try it in a little car , and there are no facilities when you do get there. Beautiful scenery though.
With a lightweight car topable dinghy like the Moth you could also launch from the bridge at Newtown.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Looks great - do you know the design? It looks similar to '74 World Champ Rob O'Sullivan's boat, though that had wings of course - the bump in the middle of the bow block is distinctive.

I'm putting this link here rather than in the For Sale section in case anyone else sees it - it appears to me to be a rare Magnum 7:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/International-Mot ... 27ba887896

So did everybody buy the latest Y&Y with my pic from Eastbourne '83 on the first page of the Moth article?

Paul
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Gosh, what a paint job. That moth looks quite a lot like mine. What are the characteristics that define it as different? If only I had a barn....

The Y&Y article was excellent!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

One day the complete Moth hull shape history will be published..........and pigs will fly! Even the Magnum saga would take a while.

Yours is a 5 IIRC, with quite a wide transom with turned-up short chines but with a finer midsection than the similar 3; the 6 has a narrower transom and usually a rudder gantry but similar chines. This has no chines, and you can see in the side view that it has a lot of rocker, which only the 7 had. The 8 was the first with a mast stub and deck-attached boom, and had harder bilges and a bit narrower again.

Paul
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

thanks Paul. Later in the year, post op, I hope to be able to bring the moth to some meetings, or to somewhere near you, so you can show me the features in detail!

Am contemplating taking it for a pre-op spin this afternoon :roll:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
iowlen

Post by iowlen »

"Looks great - do you know the design? It looks similar to '74 World Champ Rob O'Sullivan's boat, though that had wings of course - the bump in the middle of the bow block is distinctive". PaulM

Hi Paul ... My scow is an Imperium design , built by Kit Lawson in Lancashire. He sailied her once , found it 'too lively' for his taste and then promptly tucked her in into his garage for 30+ years. It came with the original sail. The photo was taken the day we picked her up from Sami in Pompey in September 2008.
Talking about photos , I haven't seen the Y&Y article yet , but one of your 1983 Eastbourne World's photos shows a few moths on the beach including a scow with a red hull ... that's Red Ned which Ray Hutchings has restored ( shown on a previous page , with varnished decks & yellow hull ) ... Red Ned is really quick.
Regards , Len.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Another moth - no idea what but looks like it could be nice:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/International-Mot ... 3cb7945729
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

It's another 'Stockholm Sprite'; the ply-covered wing tubes were an option to trampolines, I believe.

Paul