Early Int. Moth info.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
imptoo

Re: Early Int. Moth info.

Post by imptoo »

J: Thanks for the feed back. I was under the impression that the Mk III had a different hull shape than the Mk I & II Skols but that both Mk II & III Skols were open transom boats. Perhaps someone can post a few clear photos of the various Skol marks showing the details. The Hoople looks like a fine boat and is identical to the one I have in the back yard. If The Hoople and my boat are Mk II Skols, what differentiates the Mk I from the Mk II?

George
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Mk I did not have the tunnel, raised floor of the Mk II.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Rondar, John, not Roland! (they were the Europa)
Rupert
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

posting.php?mode=quote&f=22&p=29583

A Skol 3 hull.

http://web.archive.org/web/200710230841 ... picsIR.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200710060457 ... rchive.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200710070417 ... oat1SP.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200710060109 ... vepics.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200710230838 ... PicsCE.htm

These are the internet archive views of the Moth history pictures that used to be on the IMCA website - the thumbnail photos don't all open any more but the PDFs of the old yearbooks and brochures do.

Paul
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

@Paul - that is so useful thank you!

@Rupert - ooops!!! :oops:
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
imptoo

Post by imptoo »

Many thanks for posting the links to the Moth archives. I'd seen them when they were on-line but didn't know how to find them after they'd disappeared.

George
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Do we know what the situation is with this archive of images?

I realise it is not online (except in the way-back archive), which is a crying shame, but it would be far worse if it was lost entirely...

Does anyone have access to the originals? Could we find out who has them?

If the IMOC don't want to publish them online....I am sure the CVRDA would be delighted if we could get 'permission' to do so.

In the meantime, has anyone downloaded copies for their own personal 'research' use. At least we could be sure that they wouldn't get lost then in the future.

Best wishes

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I can't seem to get past the download page on wayback, but I did print hard copies of various docs when I had the Skol Moth. I have the design guide, 1973 book, 1966-67 book and Skol Mk 3 brochure. Quality is fairly poor, though, as prints from PDFs from scans.
Rupert
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

I have all the yearbooks from 1973 to 1998, and originals of the Claridge brochure and several others that weren't in the old scans. Also some of the photos in the archives were mine, and I have lots more. I also have about an hour of video I shot at the 1993 Worlds at Highcliffe.

Adam May was the guy at the CA who was interested in the history and made contact with many of the '70s and '80s guys who provided the photos and information that was in the archives, and he is still listed on the UK website.

For those that can open the archive pages, the 1975 yearbook has a couple of photos of a Skol 2 and the 1980 yearbook has several of a Skol 3, a boat called 'Bungle' fitted with wings that was the first Moth of Peter Conway after he switched from Graduates and before he designed and built the Womble design.

In the 1980 book there's also a scary photo of a young me.......

Paul M
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ah ha - it opened at work...

Agree it would be fantastic to have all that info available on the Int Moth pages of the Database.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I just worry that now that someone has gone to the trouble to collate those images.....they may well get lost or become unavailable.

As I said, if they are not available from the IMOC.....surely we should try and get them (with permission) and deliver from either CVRDA or dedicated 'classic moth' webspace.

I hasten to add.....I am not a 'mothie' and not really volunteering to do too much work, but don't want to see stuff lost

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Hi

if we need space and a gallery I'm happy to host them on my server... But I don't know who to ask for permission.

Also, if people can pm to me with URL's so that I can farm the materials..

j./
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

The URLs are in the thread above on the Web Archive....

and there is nothing against you downloading them for your own personal research and use.

But if you are going to put them anywhere......you need to get permission.

Really, this should be permission from each of the copyright holders, but presuming that they have already given permission to put them on the IMOC website, I think it is arguable that you could just ask the person who gathered the images and find out from them what permission he/she asked for and from there, you can most probably go ahead and publish.

But you gotta ask!

I don't think 'where' they are stored/published is really too much of an issue.....there are lots of cheap storage places out there and I am sure that CVRDA would be delighted to host them if we had permission to do so.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

Hi,

About 4 years ago I scanned the IMCA files of Major Tony Hibbert, these were passed to Adam May. This was great fun to start with but it took about 4 months to complete. With the support of Simon Propper the previous Moth webmaster, some were posted on the IMCA website, notably the team photo of the UK team as they set off for the Worlds at Carnac.

The photos were top quality black and white and used to good effect in the newsletters.

I put together an album which was displayed on the Moth stand at the Dinghy Exhibition.

The archive is fascinating, both as a piece of 60's 70's sailing history, but also of the realpolitik of trying to create a new international class in a time when communication was so much limited. Tony Hibbert managed to get the Americans, the Aussies, the French, Swiss, Scandinavians plus Czechslovakians to agree the Class Rules. The Czech influence was important with the need to get support from the communist bloc.

The question of ownership and copyright need to be considered. This was straightforward for the IMCA site as much of the information was their own or Tony Hibbert's. If CVRDA were to take this on you will need to get permission from Tony Hibbert and IMCA.
fcdbm

Post by fcdbm »

This is my Skol 3. Note the slightly wider transom.

Self draining cockpit and open transom.

Full width traveller due to the weak kicker system.

Bright tangerine decks - very 1970's.
Attachments
Skol 3.jpg
(10.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet