Early Int. Moth info.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
roger

Re: Early Int. Moth info.

Post by roger »

Yes I would be up to re-living my youth at Gurnard. Used to sail the Mirrors round from Fishbourne for Cowes Dinghy week. I found an old pick of us standing on the shoreline holding the boat waiting for some wind so we could continue tacking up against the tide towards Cowes and watching brave people sail out to the mark ony to be washed downtide never to be seen again(that race).
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger. You could park up at Netley and we could sail over from there....

Only problem is that the last time I did that, the breeze really freshened and I had wind over tide - a spring tide at that. It was okay once past Calshot but the first part of the trip was 'bositerous' - and I do not want tobe doing any more boat repairing!

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

If, and its a big if at the moment, I have a boat to sail then I would love to do it. Where does all the time go??
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

fabulous moth footage:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=34730

and lots more classic dinghy footage on the same site, including some N12 stuff. Fab.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Ok, time to confess. Against expert opinion I have probably wasted my money and bought this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

The seller says he built it himslef and had success sailing it in Thorpe Bay!!! None of which I believe. David and Jim both seem to say it has 'form'. It was described as being a Magnum VI hull, which he has mutilated by putting on faffiness such as the bowsprit and jib. I want to convert it back to a simple old skool low rider.

Comments on my folly, remarks about its ugliness etc all welcome, but the history - good or bad - would also be gratefully received.

Nessa the Nutter.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Nessa.....I like your style!

you are mad of course....and the expert opinion will be right (at least in their eyes).

but go for it!

I think you should at least try out the kite first, before pulling it all off again.

he....he.....get lots of photos and videos

and good luck

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I saw pictures of an American Int Moth with a kite a few years ago, a route they took for a while while not going ultra narrow. Of course, once flying came along, they all went for that instead. No reason why it won't work, but I do remember a comment on the IC site about gaining speed by adding more sail being a very unsubtle way of doing things.

Should be a fun project - they are built from really, really thin ply...
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert wrote:I saw pictures of an American Int Moth with a kite a few years ago, a route they took for a while while not going ultra narrow. Of course, once flying came along, they all went for that instead. No reason why it won't work, but I do remember a comment on the IC site about gaining speed by adding more sail being a very unsubtle way of doing things.

Should be a fun project - they are built from really, really thin ply...
I thought that was on sailing anarchy. Somebody with brains somewhere other than in his head was trying to say it was a girls boat on account of the ("small") sail area. :? It was pointed out to him that if it needed all the weight on the plank it was presumably more than enough.

He was (subtly) told to sail his own boat.
Michael Brigg
Rod

Post by Rod »

Yank checking in.

I have been monitoring the CVRDA forums on a very irregular basis and after several months of absence, I found someone has started this thread very close to my heart.

Nessa, Sorry, absolutely the wrong move on picking up an assym Magnum 6. As the previous poster pointed out, for about 5 years the U.S. had an oddball Moth division that raced once a year, a sort of free for all that allowed assymetricals. We had two very good sailors that stuck assyms on a Mistral and one on a Magnum 2. The Magnum 2 compared to the Magnum 6 had a very fat arse but still the hull needed more power to make an assym work effectively. Very Skinny Hulls designed for low resistance are not the ones you want to stick assymetrics on. Just the technique to hoist and lower the assym becomes almost impossible on a VSH.

The history of the Moth class is spread throughout many different countries. I don't know anyone who has tried to document the entire history from Sweden, to Switzerland, to France, to Australia, to Thailand, to the U.S et al. I'm sure it could fill a book that maybe 20 of us would find interesting.

Rod M.
http://www.earwigoagin.blogspot.com
Rod M
Annapolis MD USA

http://www.earwigoagin.blogspot.com
http://cbifda.blogspot.com/

Classic Moth: 105
PK Dinghy
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Good to hear from you again Rod - how are the Classic Moths coming on over there?
Rupert
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hmmm, Brave move Nessa......if you can get that going you can chalk a big point up for the girls! :D I looked at it on ebay as well.....(I really must re-set my ebay searches to exclude such madness, the ToY was extreme enough for my light weight :D ) .....but I've run out of room until I sell some of the fleet now! You really must try it as it is though....I'll volunteer as camera-girl :D

Rod,.....I started another thread on here somewhere that looks at history of Moths, and it has been pointed out just exactly how complex the history is............well worth a read if you're interested.
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

fortunately I don't want the assy - it would make it way over the py limit for hunts. I just want to turn it back into a lowrider. Presumably that will work?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Post by JimC »

Nessa wrote:fortunately I don't want the assy - it would make it way over the py limit for hunts. I just want to turn it back into a lowrider. Presumably that will work?
Unless the poor thing has been fatally strained by all the maltreatment it should be capable of being turned back. Good luck:-)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Okay...Nessa's Moth.

According to Saturdaygirl - who knows a think or two about Moths, this boat was built from a kit by Clive Everest. I asked if this was good news or bad and go a rather delphic response! Having seen me ripping Australian bog wood out of the Contender, the commentw as that some 'strange looking timber' went into the contstruction of the Magnum..... and there you have it. As Rupert has said, there is not a lot of wood in these anyway....

What was of greater interest to me was that just a while back, during a discussion on the relative generosity (or not) of various handicaps, the Magnum 6 had been identified as being one of the boats where the advances in performance had outstripped the speed of adjustment to the handicap. This probably accounted for the golden era where moths were the boat that seemed to win all the big one off races. By the time the later versions of the Moth were developed, the handicap was dropping fast as the boats became slimmer and lighter.

I think we've all agreed that the term 'handicap bandit' is greatly overused and even more greatly mis-applied. Calling a well sailed, race prepared boat that wins a 'bandit' is surely missing the point that the boat IS being well sailed and is ready for the job in hand. But in the case of the magnums 3-6, there is clear evidence that the boat is capable of sailing far fasted that the PY number would suggest. THis is not to say that the Magnum gives an easy win - far from it, one still has to sail the thing...but for those that can - the Magnum is a 'good' boat in a handicap race.

Jim C and Rupert have both pointed out the lightness of construction and the problems that could have been caused by the moves to add the extra sails. And finally - as Rod says.... the boat is hardly a user friendly platform for hoisting and retrieving the genneker!

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

so was the kit supplied by Clive Everest, or was the boat built by Clive Everest? And when? All good info David, thank you!

oh, and the RYA lists pn 980 for a non foiling moth. Does that sound about right for a boat of this age?

I am trying to persuade her indoors to take me to the south of Spain to learn to sail it in sunnier climes and more crucially, warmer water, but she says she is too busy.... :roll:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World