Rod MacAlpine-Downie

an area to discuss dinghy developments
sonosail

Rod MacAlpine-Downie

Post by sonosail »

This may be far afield, but I noticed that Rod MacAlpine-Downie is not in your designer section. (One of the most talented designers ever, in my opinion). In the UK, I think, he is better known for his multi-hulls. (primarily in concert with Reg White and Sailcraft). Most of his Dinghy designs were built in the US, (less than fortunately, by Chrysler Corp. so contruction standard were uneven at best). When Chrysler had to divest itself of all boating related enterprises, the molds for many of the boats were scattered among various other firms. All the same, some were built in great numbers here. The Buccaneer was probably the most popular and is still being built. But there were many others. And every one was brilliant.
If you wish, I would be happy to provide the specifics on a number of his more popular designs, with dimensions, drawings and pics, for your database. This may be just extra clutter that don't want to deal with. But it's a contribution that I would be happy to make should anyone be interested.

Regards,
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
Last edited by sonosail on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Rod MacAlpine-Downie

Post by Ed »

you are right our dinghy collection is very anglo-centric.....I guess that is just because we are based here.

It would be great to have your contribution, but you need to talk to Pat, who looks after the collection and I know is planning on doing some upgrading for it soon. hope it works out

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Randy,

Just to echo the wise words from Ed.... one of the problems we face here is keeping tabs not only on what happened in the dinghy scene in the UK.... then we have Europe (we're lucky to have a regular contributor in 'Laser Tourist' who has a wealth of information on the huge number of European classes.... then there is the Southern hemisphere boats - then the Americans..... so getting to grips as to who did what and when.

I can assure you though that Rod M-D is far from 'missed', but he has not been an easy person to research either. I wanted some information a while back on the Yachting World Scow and had a major task just to get the most basic of details. Some of the regulars on here though have the odd details on boats such as the 'Man o'War' and Flying Saucer.

In the end though, Rod will be we remembered for his ground breaking cats but little else on the dinghy side of things! A shame....but unless someone unearths a lot more on the man then that is how the situation will stay.

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Gammy knees made me sell the Tonic, but for that boat and for the early cats, I will always regard him as one of the great free thinkers.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Don't worry, Rod certainly isn't forgotten. The designers section that you see is just a starting list for the new one that will naturally follow on from the dinghy database which is the current project. His name is in the list on my development site and I'l be looking for material later.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Rod is certainly not forgotten by the Cat group of the CVRDA. I have a Shark and have nearly all his designs on the register including an immaculate HellCat, Thai MK4,s but at the present time no YW Cat which is a pity. However the cats on the register very rarely meet up to race as the roadtrailers are from the sixties and custom made for the boats. Nearly all of them are not in road worthy condition.
Regards Alan Williams CVRDA Cat Rep.
sonosail

Post by sonosail »

Understood. Keeping you site 'anglocentric' is a good idea. Things could easily become a bit defuse. In the US, most of the sailing public has little to no interest in smaller, older classes so I'm a bit jealous.
In addition, I didn't want to come across as someone using your group as a boat identification service.
I have a site of my own, and this is something that I experience on a daily basis, though, personally, I don't mind.
I too, had difficulty in finding much about Mr. MacAlpine-Downie until I found something of a memior, written by his parter, Dick Gibbs, who knew him well.
With so many knowledgable enthusiasts, it seems unlikely, but if I can ever be of assistance, I hope you will feel free to ask.

Randy Browning
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Good to have you aboard Randy.

I don't think we particularly intend to be anglo-centric. It was always our intention to be as international as possible (and chose a .org rather than .org.uk for domain name for this very reason, but of course you tend to do most with what is closest to you....which in our case is British Boats.

But as David says, we have Forum members from across the world including Australia, Canada, USA, France, Switzerland and others....all of whom lend a hand with boats, stories, expertise and information that are outside our immediate knowledge.

And we love em all!

So, please don't worry about a thing....get stuck in....ask away....and give us a little help when we get stuck. We wouldn't worry about being a 'boat-identification' service. We just love it and to be honest, what we could really do with is a couple more experts in the US boats. Because we often get boats that we can't identify.....that we suspect are US designs....but don't have anyone with the ability to confirm or deny our beliefs.

I have always dreamed that one day someone in the US would put on a CVRDA event and we could truly call ourselves 'international'.....because to be honest, there are not that many sailors into 'old stuff' here either...its just that we have had a few years to search each other out.

So....look forwards to your contribution.

later

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Here is a link to the history of Chrysler marine <http://www.chrysler-marine.com/CBC.htm> You will note that the history of the sailing dinghy rates one paragraph in this. In the late 1970's I repaired several of these boats mostly Buccaneers with the odd Mutineer thrown in. The structure to say the least was "Light"
Nowadays with new manufacturers who have taken over production, the boats are showing a resurgence. Here is another link to the Buccaneer class association which also has another version of the history of Chrysler marine which is a little kinder than my first link. http://buccaneer18.org/

Brian Evans,
Ex Pegasus sailor
Now sailing Pearson Ensigns.
sonosail

Post by sonosail »

Brian E. Evans wrote:Here is a link to the history of Chrysler marine <http://www.chrysler-marine.com/CBC.htm> You will note that the history of the sailing dinghy rates one paragraph in this. In the late 1970's I repaired several of these boats mostly Buccaneers with the odd Mutineer thrown in. The structure to say the least was "Light"
Nowadays with new manufacturers who have taken over production, the boats are showing a resurgence. Here is another link to the Buccaneer class association which also has another version of the history of Chrysler marine which is a little kinder than my first link. http://buccaneer18.org/

Brian Evans,
Ex Pegasus sailor
Now sailing Pearson Ensigns.
I don't know if you've already seen it, but this is a site with a lot more information on the Chrysler Marine sailboat division.http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/

Randy Browning
Norwalk CT USA
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

That site has most of the information posted on the class association website.
Brian Evans.