Lowestoft Dinghy Collection

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Ed
Site Admin

Lowestoft Dinghy Collection

Post by Ed »

Dear all,

especially our friends in the South East.

Does anyone know what the current situation is with the Dinghy collection at Lowestoft that is looked after by Jamie Campbell?

I know the boats were originally part of Andrew Thornhill's collection....and know that most of his boats are up in Eyemouth now with EISCA - World of Boats (Have you notice they have a new and very flash website!).

I have seen the images of boats in poly-tunnels (and recognised some of them - and the scaffolding from when they were in Bristol)....but what are the future plans for the boats in Lowestoft?

Just curious as to what the current situation is?
Is the collection ever open to the public? Will it ever be? Do we know what the plans are for these boats? Do we have any way of knowing what is currently at Lowestoft? Is there any boat-listing etc? Is Lowestoft still connected to EISCA?

Are most of the boats left in Lowestoft from the 'ethnic' collection from the Exeter Maritime Museum - or racing dinghies? Is there any de-markation between what has stayed in Lowestoft and what has gone to Eyemouth? (racing dinghies to EISCA and ethnic to Lowestoft????)

I know someone visited a while ago.....what did you learn?

I realise this might be a touchy subject for some, so please do reply off-forum if you prefer. If you answer on-forum, please just take care in what you say. I will moderate if necessary.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
solentgal

Re: Lowestoft Dinghy Collection

Post by solentgal »

Hi Ed,

Yes, I was up there (Eyemouth) a few weeks ago (collecting the ToY). I had no idea what "World of boats" was, but when I got there I had a peep round the barn door, and there were quite a lot of boats there, all sorts of strange things, but I can't say what from memory. The only one that caught my eye as it was near the door in the light, was a reed boat, a replica of .....?? was it Ra?....or something beginning with Ra?? My memory is bad I'm afraid, but it looked familiar.
Apparently this was the storage shed (just outside Eyemouth) and the display was somewhere in the village. I would have had a quick look round, but was tight for time/daylight, so I'm afraid that is about all I know.
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

the display in the 'museum' was crap. not a dinghy in sight. we was robbed.....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well, there are certainly some lovely dinghies there.....both in Eyemouth and in Lowestoft....

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed... I was trading emails a while back with Jamie and he gave me a list of the merlins that are there.....

The majority were pretty old (3 and early 4 digit sail numbers), I think Martin Hunter had the best of them for his restoration project. I need to get up to both Lowestoft to see Jamie and all the way up to Eyemouth as pat of the Holt project. I can report back at that point!

D
David H
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

The 1936 Olympic Monotype should be on permanent loan there by now, her previous custodian was kind enough to ring me and I gather he thought that was the best home for her.
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

hi ed

As I think you know I did go to see the collection a couple of months ago and have posted a few photos on

https://picasaweb.google.com/rmeastham/ ... 7NrnzIinVg

My main reason for going there was check some fitting details on Fairey 14s and in that I was disappointed in that the only Fairey boats appeared to be somewhat later and very different in layout from my own.

Prior to going I knew nothing of the history and whilst i had heard of it wasn't sure where the collection was. I originally tried Stephen Walker at Eyemouth who referred me to Jamie Campbell who proved most helpful. We had a chat and a drink after looking at the collection and whilst it is not for me to go into detail of our conversation the photographs really tell the story. There are some wonderful boats there but storage conditions are less than ideal with some water getting in, the gear (spars, rudders etc.) are just stacked in piles and it is difficult to look at individual boats without clambering around scaffolding, moving junk etc.

A major sort out, probably a cull of the less interesting boats and a large dose of TLC for the remainder would transform things but ultimately this must be down to the owner. My impression was that at present there is not much prospect of change.

Perhaps a suitable object for a charitable trust? anyone up for it?
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

coming back to this one I read in Classic yacht this month that part of the Andrew Thornhill collection is to be relocated to the Tithe Barn at Beale Park and that according to the spokesman Stephen Walters "we're planning to have racing dinghies and river boats in place for the show weekend" (10-12th June). Does anyone know anything more about this?

On a separate matter in the same magazine there is another piece suggesting that Good Wood Boat Company in conjunction with an antiques restoration firm have found a new "solution" for stripping the interior of ribbed boats using "a non caustic conservation stripper, time and patience". I am well aware of the last 2 - any idea whether the first is some new silver bullet?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I hadn't heard that......how interesting!

I wonder what boats those will be....

as for the silver-bullet for stripping.......I wish!

I know there have been some 'blanket-pastes' which have been suggested to be very good. You pile them on an inch thick and leave for days, then peal the dried blanket back.....with all the coating. But never seen one in action....and I think they can be very pricey.....if you put them on thick - which you need to. I would love to know more.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Pat

Post by Pat »

We were using a "blanket paste" stripper thirty years ago on the mouldings on victorian doors in our first house. Can't remember what it was but it seemed expensive at the time, though not as bad as having them dipped.