Tonka back on the water!

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Took her for her 1st sail since the rebuild, and nothing broke! Light winds...I'm sure I'll do better next time!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

More wind yesterday, and able to go out on the seat, which didn't snap! Only capsized the once, so wasn't trying hard enough! Strange sensation being outside the boat when sailing...there were times when I was wondering whether I had the nerve for it all, and it wasn't even very windy! Is that just beginners worry, or am I too much of a coward, and should I get a tideway?!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Get your arse out on the plank, keep your feet off the gunwhales (no points for chicken reaching!). Make sure you have an audience when you capsize when at the end of the plank so they can give you marks out of 10 as you fly through the air.

Of course you now qualify for the Roadford Lake Synchronised Swimming Team, we'll have to practice now to get 4 boats upside down at the same time.

You wont want a Tideway as there's too much varnish and the Association wont be happy if you paint one with Dulux
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rupert.
The most embarrassing thing you can do is capsize with the plank stuck up the inside of your sailing smock. Had a crew who did that, very worrying at the time as she was stuck face down in the water panicing. Managed to pull plank out but she never forgave me for it and we changed to a trapeze which she felt was alot safer. Mind you with wetsuits and such hardly anyone wears smocks anymore. Except sad old Finn sailors like myself.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Pippa wears smocks...
Neil, you are right about varnish and the tideway - there must be twice the surface area of a Firefly, with all those plank edges! Do you think the association would go for International front door paint, instead? Must start a campaign for them to make it in yellow!
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Sorry I miss-read this, I thought you said:plonka back on the water. which I thought was a bit tough on yourself.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Did my 1st 2 races in her yesterday, in only a moderrate breeze, but it was shifty and puffy, and I'm still knackered this morning! Got lapped in the 1st race, but improved in the 2nd and only finished a leg behind a couple of well sailed GP14s...still got some learning to do! Ah well, its a challenge, and if my knees hold up, I could be in for a wet winter!
Rupert