Identification challenge

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Pat

Identification challenge

Post by Pat »

I received this by email from Tim Thornbury (tim at web40 dot co dot uk)
Wondering if you can help - the following page explains it all and some of my efforts to date: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281381
Have you ever come across one (bit like an Otter) or could you add to your help page?
If anyone can offer ideas, please email him direct.
TimT

Re: Identification challenge

Post by TimT »

I have indeed been trying to establish some details - for anyone who hasn't clicked through here is the story...

I have a 11ft fibreglass dinghy and have used Google and some other forums but so far little help on the history of this dinghy. Even emails to the manufaturer have been unanswered. For anyone that can offer anymore information - this would be much appreciated.

More Pictures: http://goo.gl/vGhhw

In the pictures you’ll see it has been made by “Salty Yacht Productions Ltd” (which no longer advertise boat production) and has a Needlespar mast and boom. Still can’t establish a name / type of boat.

Thanks to anyone that can help at all! Tim
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Does the sail symbol offer a clue?

It seems to show a sailing boat sailing in a.....
IMG00111-20110722-1852[2].jpg
(9.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
...Builder's b****m??! :oops: :lol:

Or is it in a stormy wave tossed seascape.

Waverider? Maybe not. Given the evolution of the company into roofing, I might venture the name "Builder's Boatom"
Michael Brigg
TimT

Post by TimT »

Michael Brigg wrote:Does the sail symbol offer a clue?

It seems to show a sailing boat sailing in a.....
IMG00111-20110722-1852[2].jpg
...Builder's b****m??! :oops: :lol:

Or is it in a stormy wave tossed seascape.

Waverider? Maybe not. Given the evolution of the company into roofing, I might venture the name "Builder's Boatom"
of course this all presumes the sails belong to the boat originally! Shape I would be more inclined to describe as 'rounded batman wings' with a dignhy outline cutout inside the 'wings' - not expert on builders bums but hey, may trigger a thought from someone!
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Pretty sure it is the big sister to the "Bobbin", a Pearson brothers product (I think) and from memory I think she's called a "Sailaway", which would sort of fit the insignia. I have old magazines, so will try and remember to check, as I know I have old ads for a Sailaway.
Sami.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Good spot Sami,

Sailaway in Burrett with similar logo: LOA 11' 1", beem 5' 0",, Mast 16' 0"

Nigel
Pat

Post by Pat »

I thought there was something similar in the hull shape having walked past my upturned Bobbin so many times but I'm not 100% convinced.
These Pearsons boats usually had tan sails and the dinghy data base pic of the sailaway also appears to have a partial foredeck/bracing in front of the mast. The rudder is a distictive thing too.

I'd love to see more pictures Sami.
Sailaway.JPG
Sailaway from dinghy database
(11.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Just taken pic from old magazine:

It sure looks like the same design to me. I think the change in sail colour could be due to a change of ownership of the product. If the mystery boat is moulded by "Salty...", this would probably have meant a re-launch (no pun intended) with more up to date colours all round......most Pearson products were white and that dated aqua blue gel colour, and traditional brown or white sails.....the Bonito was quite racy with red and white sail!!!
I can't remember the story behind Pearson bros, (fairly local to me) but I have a feeling they disapeared mid 70s, and many of the local companies seemed to pass moulds on.....I can remember a few small businesses appearing and disappearing around this time.
That alloy rudder.......I had a very corroded one the same, that I pulled out of a hedge some years ago, and always wondered what it was from....recognised it straight away in the pic....so another mystery solved for me!
What say you all?
Sami.
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

There's a very similar looking rudder on Ebay at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAHOGANY-ALLO ... 3cbb379d0d
Best wishes

SB
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yup, that looks like the one I rescued from a hedge many years ago......long gone now though!
Sami.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Yes Bobbin has a smaller version of that with the shortest tiller I've ever seen and designed for use without an extension.
Pearsons were in Arundel according to their makers plate and I was told by Richard L at Shearwater that they made a 9ft (Bobbin), an 11ft (Sailaway I presume) and also a 13ft dinghy. Anyone know more?
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Here is the rest of the page from the Pearson bros ad, taken from issue 68 of PBO (August '72) P22, which gives a snapshot of their products at this time.

I owned a Swallow in the mid '70s for a short while, but was not impressed , got caught in irons too easily. I think there may have been other manufactureres of the Bonito over the years, and I recently found a much earlier ad for one (Wooden kit possibly?) ....I'll see if I can find that ad again too when I have time.
Around the same time I owned a "Flying Saucer"....similar to the Swallow, but orange gel coat.....I've often wondered if this was a Pearson bros product. I mentioned it on here once before, and it seems pretty much unknown. Any more thoughts on that one anyone?
Sami.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Flying Saucer (14') and Apollo (11') were both built by Fenton Hill Marine in East Anglia - I've got an old advert somewhere.

Paul
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Thanks Paul, andother mystery solved for me :)
Sami.